Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best brake options 16" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brake options 16" wheels

What's up guys. I'm setting my '99 TA up for autox duty, as well as being my daily driver. I've already adressed most of the suspension I will be doing at the moment,(see sig) but also plan on doing a TA with relo, Fays2 watts link, and hopefully full tubular front.

I think now the thing for me to focus on is brakes. I have already spent most of my cash on the suspension/bolt ons for the car. Looking for a relatively inexpensive mod to help me out here. Don't have the cash for wheels right now, so I will be sticking with the factory 16" chrome 5 spokes for now. This, obviously, limits me from doing c5/ctsv/big brake kits.

What would be the best rotors for me to go with? Again, looking for something that is a vast improvement over stock that wont break the bank.

I've been looking at Hawk HPS pads, seem to be the best bet for what I want. Any other options out there?

Just looking for some opinions from guys that are more knowledgable in the subject than myself. Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

If your looking into autoxing, BBKs or C5 conversions shouldn't be at the top of your list of things to worry about. Get some ATE rotors in there and stay away from all the cheap drilled and slotted bling bling crap that's available out there. Hawk HPS's have enough stopping power to lock up good R-comp tires.

You can autox without going crazy with mods. I think its good to feel what a car is like when the suspension isn't so great and then compare it with what its like afterward. Your going to obviously want shocks at some point, and if going beyond stock classes you'll want Strano springs and swaybars. All of which are very daily drivable.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28bryan
If your looking into autoxing, BBKs or C5 conversions shouldn't be at the top of your list of things to worry about. Get some ATE rotors in there and stay away from all the cheap drilled and slotted bling bling crap that's available out there. Hawk HPS's have enough stopping power to lock up good R-comp tires.

You can autox without going crazy with mods. I think its good to feel what a car is like when the suspension isn't so great and then compare it with what its like afterward. Your going to obviously want shocks at some point, and if going beyond stock classes you'll want Strano springs and swaybars. All of which are very daily drivable.
Yeah I was looking at the ATE rotors and HPS pads. I am aware that I should stay awya from drilled rotors as well.

I already have knoi 4/4, strnao springs, strano hollow sways, and some UMI goodies.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redlineracing
Yeah I was looking at the ATE rotors and HPS pads. I am aware that I should stay awya from drilled rotors as well.

I already have knoi 4/4, strnao springs, strano hollow sways, and some UMI goodies.
well your on your way than...

get some SS lines, and a good blank rotor
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slomarao
well your on your way than...

get some SS lines, and a good blank rotor

I'm looking at the brake packages on strano's website.

His package with 4 best brand brake rotors and HPS pads is $350.00

Also has a package with ATE rotors, HPS pads, SS lines, and fluid for $655.00

Should I just spring and purchase the latter?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I think you are definitely on the right track. Get the brakes setup and go have a blast.

After you get into autox, look into an EVO school or local autox school. You could start looking at how to make the car competitive in scca E street prepared. In a year or two you could start considering some wider 17 inch wheels with a good tire compound
Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I think you are definitely on the right track. Get the brakes setup and go have a blast.

After you get into autox, look into an EVO school or local autox school. You could start looking at how to make the car competitive in scca E street prepared. In a year or two you could start considering some wider 17 inch wheels with a good tire compound
Yeah, I'm looking at a set of 17x9.5" DD c5 replicas from OEwheels. I plan on running 275's all around. Possibly KDW2's. I havent researched much about the handling on them however. If they aren't too gret, then possibly BFG sport comp 2's. Although I like the tread pattern on the KDW2's alot better.

Hoping within the next year to have a UMI TA and relo mount, FAYS2, UMI road race k member, boxed adjustable lower A arms and tubular uppers. As well as a nice stall.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by redlineracing
Yeah, I'm looking at a set of 17x9.5" DD c5 replicas from OEwheels. I plan on running 275's all around. Possibly KDW2's. I havent researched much about the handling on them however. If they aren't too gret, then possibly BFG sport comp 2's. Although I like the tread pattern on the KDW2's alot better.

Hoping within the next year to have a UMI TA and relo mount, FAYS2, UMI road race k member, boxed adjustable lower A arms and tubular uppers. As well as a nice stall.
In reference to your second paragraph, a lot of those mods will bump you up into street modified class or higher. This would make it tough to be competitive.

You also might want to consider 17x11's with 315/35/17s I got them on all 4's. They are ESP legal. Require minor modification. Just don't tell anyone if you grind the spindle nub because I think that's not ESP legal, who's going to find out
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Banned

NAPA premium rotors are a fraction of the cost, look on the corvette forums and MANY of those guys run NAPA rotors. they are cheap work great and if they warp, take them back and get new ones from NAPA. Stick with Hawk HPS pads. your going to have a lot of tire roll with the 16" wheels, better get some 17" wheels and run a 275 on a 9-9.5" rim or a 315 on a 11" rim. Get some stainless steel brake lines from Strano and ATE Super Blue brake fluid and get a proper flush of brake fluid, coolant, power steering, trans and diff fluids.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info guys..

I think I'm just going to spring for the ATE rotors, should be worth the extra cash. They also have a 2 year warranty to go along with them. Also plan on going with some HPS pads, SS lines, and super blue.

As far as the modifications bumping me into a class i wont compete in, doesn't bug me one bit. The car is my daily driver first, my toy second. I'm just looking to make it handle as well as I possibly can. Autox will just be for fun for me, probably wont even run in a comp class.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Regular

Aldso, think im just going to stick with 275's on all 4. I would love to run 315's but purchasing a nice R compound 315 for my daily will get expensive quick. Not to mention I don't want to do any BFH'ing or roll the fenders.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

NAPA rotors are cheaper and have a lifetime warranty. just saying since you mentioned being light in the wallet in your OP. and 275's on all 4 is a good setup, i recommend the Nitto NT05's with a good alignment and 35 front 28 rear tire pressure.

Quick Reply: Best brake options 16" wheels