Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tubular Suspension Pulled Out of Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tubular Suspension Pulled Out of Alignment?

OK folks, I hardly ever start threads cause I find everything with the search tool. This one is tricky to find. Last summer I put in a UMI k-member, upper, and lower a-arms. Had a great local shop do the alignment. Then in the fall I installed 6LE's C5 brake upgrade kit (another awesome set of hardware).

In Nov I had to make an emergency stop. Just as the car came to a stop I heard "BANG BANG." Pulled the car into a parking lot and found both front wheels pulled completely out of alignment. The wheels were forced back in the wheel wells, front lower a-arm points pulled out, rears pushed in.

A few weeks later I straightened out the suspension enough to get back to the shop and redone. No issues since, but I'm afraid it may happen again. Anyone ever had this happen? Know of ways to prevent it from happening??

Any help appreciated. I can't imagine what would happen if it did this at the track after a 1/4 mile run!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it simply needed an alignment to be put back in place then I suspect the bolts weren't tight enough. I just talked with someone else on a totally different vehicle that had that happen to him. He did a hard stop and his driver side wheel shifted backward. The bolts for his LCAs weren't all the way tight.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
wrencher

Agreed sounds like the bolts where not tight enough.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Agreed with above....
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could also try and find a way to mark the alignment bolts so that if it does ever happen again you could have a fighting chance of putting it back into place yourself.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It just sounds like the alignment shop didn't tighten the a-arm bolts enough. On the factory a-arms there is bumps on them that dig into the k-member as you tighten them to prevent them from sliding.. the aftermarket ones do not have these so the bolts need to be tight. Just make sure they are tightened correctly and the issue should arise again. I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks so much for the help guys! Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else crazy going on.

Quick Reply: Tubular Suspension Pulled Out of Alignment?