Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Adjustable torque arm noises?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default UMI Adjustable torque arm noises?

I have a UMI adjustable torque arm on my car. I have double checked that everything is tight.

I'm getting a clunking type noise when I hit small bumps. What I *think* it might be is play in the rod ends on the adjustable mount. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Old 05-25-2012, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LCAs and PHB, yes, but not with the TA, at least so far, and it's been on there for a long time. The only time I got noise form the TA was when one of the axle mounting nuts worked loose. No help, I know.

BobP
Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, trying to sort this out is making me somewhat crazy. Hah.

More or less everything holding my rear axle in place is UMI. Rear control arms are the on-car adjustable ones with the roto joints, same this with the panhard bar. I expected more noise and harshness. But this rattling/clunking thing is annoying. Sounds like something is loose, but I've checked every bolt under there a dozen times.

Only theory I can come up with is the adjustable mount on the torque arm. That's the only part that was on the car when I bought it, so I don't know how many miles/wear and tear might be going on with it. Everything else is new and tight.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a BMR arm with a relo bracket, LCAs (poly), and panhard (poly) and I get clunks too. I've checked it a hundred times and everything is tight. That's what poly bushings and a stiff arm gets you I suppose. The stock arm and rubber bushings are pretty forgiving.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

I've got to get the car to a friend's house, he has a drive on lift so I can get in the air and try to figure out what the hell is rattling.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I have an adj umi tq arm, poly lca's, lca relo, & panhard and have no clunks over small or large bumps.

However, when I had a bmr t-56 trans xmember I got a clunk over small bumps. I believe the relocation bracket moved the torque arm closer to the tunnel and it was hitting one of the fuel line brackets. I ended up selling it. Look for wear on the torque arm and see if its hitting those fuel line bracket bolts.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
Yeah, trying to sort this out is making me somewhat crazy. Hah.

More or less everything holding my rear axle in place is UMI. Rear control arms are the on-car adjustable ones with the roto joints, same this with the panhard bar. I expected more noise and harshness. But this rattling/clunking thing is annoying. Sounds like something is loose, but I've checked every bolt under there a dozen times.

Only theory I can come up with is the adjustable mount on the torque arm. That's the only part that was on the car when I bought it, so I don't know how many miles/wear and tear might be going on with it. Everything else is new and tight.

I have about the same setup, and I know what you're talking about. I've just gotten used to it...somewhat...
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Launching!

i have the bmr adj TA, mine hitws the trans tunnel just forward of the rear end, ive been told by bmr support that modification is needed to the upper mount bracket for aftermarket rear ends (i have a 12 bolt) im hoping when i take car of that, it will end most of my problems
Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

I have a UMI adjustable torque arm on my car. I have double checked that everything is tight.

I'm getting a clunking type noise when I hit small bumps. What I *think* it might be is play in the rod ends on the adjustable mount. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Not sure how I missed this. I apologize for the delay.

The rod ends from the arm to the mount are actually rod eyes (no moving ball). As long as the 5/8 dia fasteners are tight, there should be no movement. If the car was run with them loose, it may have "egged" the holes.

Are there any witness marks on the tunnel?

ramey
Old 05-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Teching In

If you have the special spanner wrench for them, make sure all of the roto joints are tight.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

SS - Did that already.

Ramey - There's a mark in the tunnel at the rear where the bracket on the axle contacted the floorpan. I added some more clearance, it doesn't hit any more. I'll double check the front as soon as I can.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, I finally got a chance to get under the car.

The torque arm I have must be pretty old. It says, "UMI Performance" on the webbing, but it doesn't look like the ones on UMI's website. The front of the arm has the factory sideways M shape. The front of the bar isn't contacting anything.

I tightened the hell out of every bolt I could reach. The through bolts are as tight as I can make them, and the pivot point bolts on the adjustment bracket are as tight as I can get them with a 30" breaker bar. I also tweaked the exhaust a bit. On a test drive I noticed that the noise is greatly reduced.

I guess I can live with it now.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Is the torque arm hitting the floor pan where it attaches to the axle? I have a strange 60 and a BMR bar and i had to put a small dent in the pan so the are would totaly clear.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

It did when I first installed it. I have since added more clearance, so it's not hitting anymore.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Launching!

It did when I first installed it. I have since added more clearance, so it's not hitting anymore.
Have you checked your pinion angle?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, I did. Exactly at 1 degree down.

Quick Reply: UMI Adjustable torque arm noises?