Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help! Sick of my Suspension!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help! Sick of my Suspension!!!

I've grown tired of my suspension. I am lowered with Strano/Koni's and while I overlooked the sacrifice in comfort for its gain in performance, I think I want comfort now. I cringe every time there's rough roads ahead and I'm jus' not enjoying driving my car anymore.

Here's my setup:

- Strano Springs w/rear spring isolator
- Strano 35/Adj 22 Sway Bars
- Koni 4/3 Shocks (maybe tweak the front settings first?)
- UMI bolt-on 2-point Subframe Connectors
- UMI Poly/Roto Adj. Panhard Bar
- UMI Poly/Roto Adj. LCA's
- UMI bolt-on Relocation Brackets

Additional Info:
- No added weight in the rear
- On 18's but running taller profile tires (275/40R18 & 295/40R18)

Should I switch back to stock springs? Wasn't there a spring, SLP if I recall correctly, that lowered the car about 0.25"?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is the SLP spec'd Eibach springs. I believe both Strano and WS6Store sell them. Ive heard of nothing bad about them. If you did go that route, you should probably keep the Koni's and set them on full soft.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Shame all that money wasted. I Love the ride on my Z28, all stock chevy parts except Poly bushings. People jump my bones whenever I say you don't need all that expensive stuff to have a Fun Car. Sorry for your loss.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I've grown tired of my suspension. I am lowered with Strano/Koni's and while I overlooked the sacrifice in comfort for its gain in performance, I think I want comfort now. I cringe every time there's rough roads ahead and I'm jus' not enjoying driving my car anymore.

Here's my setup:

Additional Info:

Should I switch back to stock springs? Wasn't there a spring, SLP if I recall correctly, that lowered the car about 0.25"?
Roll back the compression damping, and put the stock LCA's with rubber bushings back on.

If the impact harshness is still too high, put the stock springs back on. Use the lower perch on the front, and on the rear to heater hose mod or use these Custom Made rear spring seat isolators to keep a decent drop.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

The SLP Eibach's are progressive rate springs that lowered between .75" and 1". There was a poster that just used those springs on his car.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Roll back the compression damping, and put the stock LCA's with rubber bushings back on. If the impact harshness is still too high, put the stock springs back on. Use the lower perch on the front, and on the rear to heater hose mod or use these Custom Made rear spring seat isolators to keep a decent drop.
This ^^. I finally settled three sweeps from full soft on the Konis with stock springs on the lower perch. That combo was still harsher than the Bilsteins with cut stock springs I had on my T/A. What kind of tires do you have? "Ultra high performance" tires with super stiff sidewalls may be great for the corners, but they're murder on rough city streets.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1121
Shame all that money wasted. I Love the ride on my Z28, all stock chevy parts except Poly bushings. People jump my bones whenever I say you don't need all that expensive stuff to have a Fun Car. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks man. Hopefully jus' swapping out springs would be good enough for me.

Roll back the compression damping, and put the stock LCA's with rubber bushings back on.

If the impact harshness is still too high, put the stock springs back on. Use the lower perch on the front, and on the rear to heater hose mod or use these Custom Made rear spring seat isolators to keep a decent drop.
I'll try rolling back the settings. I can't really switch out back to my stock LCA's because my tire comes in at 27.XX" and without centering the tire, the tire will come in too close near the fender. I did purchase those spring seat isolators jus' in case.

The SLP Eibach's are progressive rate springs that lowered between .75" and 1". There was a poster that just used those springs on his car.
I'm thinking about doing jus' that. Lowered on the front perch and no isolators in the rear.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
This ^^. I finally settled three sweeps from full soft on the Konis with stock springs on the lower perch. That combo was still harsher than the Bilsteins with cut stock springs I had on my T/A. What kind of tires do you have? "Ultra high performance" tires with super stiff sidewalls may be great for the corners, but they're murder on rough city streets.
Falken Azenis's in the rear and Falken 452's in the front. I really don't think switching out to softer tires would be enough to make me happy.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try rolling back the settings. I can't really switch out back to my stock LCA's because my tire comes in at 27.XX" and without centering the tire, the tire will come in too close near the fender. I did purchase those spring seat isolators jus' in case.
You could buy swedged tubes from coleman racing, ub machines, and some others. Then get either rubber rod ends from howe or ub machines or sealflex elastomer ends from seals-it, and make your own lca's. The poly/roto's shouldn't be terrible for a street car, but they definitely do add harshness and vibration.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll trade you my stock springs for your Stranos
Old 05-27-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

You could buy swedged tubes from coleman racing, ub machines, and some others. Then get either rubber rod ends from howe or ub machines or sealflex elastomer ends from seals-it, and make your own lca's. The poly/roto's shouldn't be terrible for a street car, but they definitely do add harshness and vibration.
Hmmm, have you gone this route? If so, have any pictures?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I'll trade you my stock springs for your Stranos
I'll keep it in mind if I don't go with the SLP Eibachs.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, have you gone this route? If so, have any pictures?
I sure have, and i sure do. You'll need cone spacers or offset bushing to make them work. Elastomer ends are slightly wider than (about 2mm) typical heim joints.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bilsteins + 1 coil cut off stock springs = perfect ride height and an enjoyable ride. Ditch the poly and rod ends, go back to rubber bushings.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the feedback guys. My friend installed the UMI LCA's a few weeks ago so I've been riding on stock LCA's for awhile. Having said that, even with stock LCA's and the Strano/Koni setup, I thought the it was still too harsh.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in your stranos if you ditch em.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I know I'll get flamed for this but I think the rough ride is caused by the Konis, particularly in the rear. I wish I had ponied up for double adjustables so I could verify but sadly that's not the case. I use coil-over springs in the back and I've tried 125#, 150#, and 165# springs and they all ride pretty rough (actually the best ride is with the 165# springs). Don't get me wrong, the handling is awesome, but it's not a "comfortable" ride. And I have home-built rear LCAs with Moog rubber bushings. FWIW.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
I know I'll get flamed for this but I think the rough ride is caused by the Konis, particularly in the rear. I wish I had ponied up for double adjustables so I could verify but sadly that's not the case. I use coil-over springs in the back and I've tried 125#, 150#, and 165# springs and they all ride pretty rough (actually the best ride is with the 165# springs). Don't get me wrong, the handling is awesome, but it's not a "comfortable" ride. And I have home-built rear LCAs with Moog rubber bushings. FWIW.
I don't know if you'll get flamed, I know there are people that feel that way. As you shorten the distance the suspension travels, especially in the rear with additional unsprung weight, the spring rate and compression damping needs to match. Your springs and shocks have to decelerate motion in a shorter distance, and do it much more quickly. People have tried Eibach Sportlines with Koni's and report they are even harsher, relative to Bilsteins.

My thinking in regards to LCA's is that rubber, in addition to NVH, has it's own spring rate. It winds up, twists, to accommodate rotation, and axial twisting, and then releases. That is why you to tighten them only when loaded, other wise you pre-load them. Any way, that action of winding up helps a little in reducing the harshness.

IMO, you can have handling, appearance, or ride, but when you lower, you get one, or both, of the former at the expense of the latter. Also, I believe the rear is worse than the front because of the unsprung mass of a solid axle.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've learned to accept that my car isn't a Caddy. There are $100k+ sports cars that ride no different. You wanted a sport suspension, you got a sport suspension.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, you can have handling, appearance, or ride, but when you lower, you get one, or both, of the former at the expense of the latter. Also, I believe the rear is worse than the front because of the unsprung mass of a solid axle.
Fast, cheap, reliable - pick two.

Handling, appearance, ride - pick two.

Same idea for both I suspect.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's my setup:

Additional Info:

SLP eibachs are .75"-1" drop:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=113&ModelID=7
But before you go off spending money, try some free things first.
Play with tire pressure, go below 30psi if you have to and see if that helps.
What rear bump stops do you have, and are they in ok condition? You could try a different bumpstop as well if you can find some off junkyard Fbodies for cheap.
If any of your friends have some 17" wheels you could throw on the car and try, go for it.
What do you have the konis set to? What do you have the rear swaybar set at?
Like already said, this is certainly a handling setup (and it does it damn well) so it won't be as comfortable as with stock springs that have more travel and smaller wheels.

Quick Reply: Help! Sick of my Suspension!!!