Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My plans for 02 Formula

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyDucks
I have had my 02 Formula for about two years now and like you I have little intentions of drag racing. I would definitely recommend the SFCs first before anything else. I have the bolt-on 3pt ones from UMI and they slightly improved rear grip and noticeably increased the torsional stiffness of the car (which greatly improves the effectiveness of handling mods). I cannot comment on the 2pt ones as I have not driven one of these cars with them on, but I postulate that the increase in torsional stiffness would not be a great. If your just tooling around town the 2pt are probably fine, but if you do the crazy back-road carving like I do the 3pt may be the better choice. A torque arm and LCAs are next on my mod list. I also agree with what was stated above.
Awesome, will look into this.

I may go to the drag strip once or twice. My roommate has a 2010 Mustang GT with full exhaust and tune....we shall be battling for the garage parking spot with timeslips one day LOL.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Well, I had my friend take the 'Bird in his shop and install the new rotors along with the Hawk pads....

All I can say is, this thing stops on a DIME now. No more noise, and looks great with the slotted rotors. Easily one of the best things I have done in terms of safety. Very happy with this purchase.

On a side issue, whoever installed the last brakes on this thing cross-threaded all the stud bolts, and I will be replacing them as it will be a PITA to rotate the tires. I did a little research on here, and it is my understanding that the axle does NOT have to come off to replace these-- as long as I am replacing the same size. Is this correct?

I know a bunch of you had mentioned hold off on rotors...but since this is a "new to me car", I'd rather just cross that off the list....a list that just grows as time goes on

Next up is a WS6Store short stick. I know it's not a Brake/Suspension mod, but hey for the price I can't complain.

I have really gave some thought on Shocks. I think I am going to go with the HD Bilstein. This car is coming up on 80k miles, and the 11 year mark....time to give it some new life. I know Koni's are another option, but this is also a expensive one at that. As stated, I am not drag racing...just want a nice replacement for spirited driving.

Springs....I am just undecided on. I like the way the car sits now with the stock springs, and do not really want to go too low. I may just let them be, as many have said on these forums they really aren't too horrible to begin with (compared to the shocks).

As far as the sway bars, I do see you posting here BMR. You will be next....the credit card companies are liking me this quarter LOL.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyDucks
I have had my 02 Formula for about two years now and like you I have little intentions of drag racing. I would definitely recommend the SFCs first before anything else. I have the bolt-on 3pt ones from UMI and they slightly improved rear grip and noticeably increased the torsional stiffness of the car (which greatly improves the effectiveness of handling mods). I cannot comment on the 2pt ones as I have not driven one of these cars with them on, but I postulate that the increase in torsional stiffness would not be a great. If your just tooling around town the 2pt are probably fine, but if you do the crazy back-road carving like I do the 3pt may be the better choice. A torque arm and LCAs are next on my mod list. I also agree with what was stated above.
If you are going on "crazy back roads" then LCA's and a torque arm are going to be a waste of time/money, trust me I have them.
#1 Mod = good shocks, period. You won't get a bigger gain from any other suspension mod. Next would be springs and swaybars, and then a watts link. Just about everything else has very minor, if any results in the corners.
Ofcourse don't forget tires too.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by xxKennyDxx
Next up is a WS6Store short stick. I know it's not a Brake/Suspension mod, but hey for the price I can't complain.
Thats a decent mod on the cheap, I had one. But if you can spare some extra coin a MGW shifter is great (I have one), much better than the stock hurst + short stick. More direct, positive and a shorter throw.

As far as the sway bars, I do see you posting here BMR. You will be next....the credit card companies are liking me this quarter LOL.
Search around. Those are rear biased, you probably want a 22mm rear bar to got with a 35mm front bar...
Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Thats a decent mod on the cheap, I had one. But if you can spare some extra coin a MGW shifter is great (I have one), much better than the stock hurst + short stick. More direct, positive and a shorter throw.

Search around. Those are rear biased, you probably want a 22mm rear bar to got with a 35mm front bar...

MGW- I see it's listed at 200 bucks (Hopefully not breaking a forum rule by listing price?)....I have the coin (or plastic LOL). I guess all I would be doing by getting the short stick is putting a band-aid on, so to speak?

And of course I will search around, this is exactly why I post here haha. I always just like to see things out before I buy them (I read the Newbie Mod mistakes thread, LOL). I'm doing this little by little, so it'll probably be a while before I order. Thanks for the input AMG!

Last edited by xxKennyDxx; 07-01-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Alright, MGW was ordered a few nights ago. Should be here in a week or so I guess.

I decided on the Bilstein HD shocks. I think they will be fine for my liking, Koni's are a little out of my price range and to BE HONEST, I think the STOCK shocks are alright (LOL, then again I haven't experienced any other car) so I think I'll be happy with Bilstein.

I am not going with springs. I personally think the car sits low enough as it is, so I will keep the stock height. If someone can tell me what I would be expecting from switching to the stock height springs to maybe Strano springs with the Bilsteins, please enlighten me. If you look at my sig picture...it's not like I'm looking like an off-road truck or anything LOL.

Front and rear sway bars are on the horizon from Strano, as well as SFC's.

Might as well install them all at once, I'm sure I'll be amazed at the difference when it's said and done.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

go through this thread & then decide if you want lowering springs or not. Link

Springs also work for apperance & suspension.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
go through this thread & then decide if you want lowering springs or not. Link

Springs also work for apperance & suspension.
I did go through that one. I think the car looks fine stock height. To be honest, this is the lowest car I have ever driven in. I get in my roommates 2010 GT and there's a difference lol. Wheels are the last thing I would do, as I don't mind the stockers. Would rather address the others and HP before looks.

It's a coin toss I guess. I just want to make sure the Bilstein's are okay with adding some kind of lowering springs. Strano's seems to be the highest drop at about 1.2, is there anything that is just one inch drop? Hotchkis?

I just figured I would do these mods before I add my TSP Long tubes.....you guys know how tempting it is just to buy the headers and y-pipe first? LOL...I'm dying here!!!!! But what good would adding 15-20rwhp if I'm not addressing stock issues. Damn you, indecision!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by xxKennyDxx; 07-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: My plans for 02 Formula