Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

gto camber problems???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gto camber problems???

Had to replace the back tires on my 05 and when i looked at the damage the nail did, i discovered the difference of tread from the inside to outside of the tire. the drivers side tire isn't near as bad either so it has me worried.. So my question is do gtos have a camber naturally or am i going to have to get it worked on(or is it easy?) Having problems getting to pictures to upload so there may not be any attached. Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails gto camber problems???-1338521505105.jpg   gto camber problems???-1338521400915.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Burdman
Had to replace the back tires on my 05 and when i looked at the damage the nail did, i discovered the difference of tread from the inside to outside of the tire. the drivers side tire isn't near as bad either so it has me worried.. So my question is do gtos have a camber naturally or am i going to have to get it worked on(or is it easy?) Having problems getting to pictures to upload so there may not be any attached. Thanks for any help!
GTOs are plagued with alignment problems due to their bushings. In Australia, most people - including mini vans - will take their cars to stand alone suspension shops and have polyurethane bushing installed. Kind of a weird world over there for sure with all poly mini vans driven by old women and such. haha But suspension in Australia is a huge deal.

Anyway, the problem with this thought process from Oz means that the GTO came with less than stellar bushings from the factory. Up front, the front and rear radius rod bushings fail as well as the upper strut mounts. Out back, the cradle bushings are sloppy and the rear springs ALWAYS sag and there is no way to correct the progressive camber. All of these cause accelerated tire wear and a displaced feeling from the driver's seat.

Thankfully, the Aussie market has come stateside and all of those solutions are available for the GTO and the G8 in the US. You've indicated that your problem is in the back of the car. This was likely caused by sagging rear springs, so inspect the ride height and try to visually identify if the back of the car looks like you have junk in the trunk. jk The problem can be corrected by installing rear control arm camber/toe bushings and you may want to get new springs that won't sag. The bushings are under $100 a set and allow you to adjust the rear camber. Springs are roughly $220 for rears but there are coilover sets available with springs and adjustable struts/shock for $1000 shipped.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

PM for details on where to buy the bushings from.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: gto camber problems???