Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Konis SUCK! High performance, but junk Quality

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Konis SUCK! High performance, but junk Quality

That's right, I said it.
I bought and installed a set of SA konis on my 2002 Camaro about 5 years ago. Since then I have put on maybe 30,000 miles. During the last week I decided to swap out my lowering springs.
Well my Konis were so rusted and corroded that there was no chance of salvaging them. They were almost turning to dust at some parts. See the pics below. This is NOT what I would expect from almost $1000 dollars worth of shocks.
Now before any of you chime in with "Normal wear and tear" Ive attached some pics of 2002 decarbons that are twice as old, and a few more pics dug up of factory shocks as far back as 97.
VERDICT: Konis are great performing shocks, made with substandard low quality components that will rust and rot away underneath your ride. If you buy, plan to use once and discard.

Note on the third pic.....See the koni strut bolt all rusted while the twice-as-old upper shock mount bolt seems to be doing just fine.

(Edit: MORE PICS IN POST #53)
Attached Thumbnails Konis SUCK!  High performance, but junk Quality-konis1.jpg   Konis SUCK!  High performance, but junk Quality-konis2.jpg   Konis SUCK!  High performance, but junk Quality-koni3.jpg   Konis SUCK!  High performance, but junk Quality-02decarbons.jpg   Konis SUCK!  High performance, but junk Quality-97decarbon.jpg  

Last edited by UMD_Jesse; 06-15-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: pics added
Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my struts looked like this as well when i removed them on my 99 T/A. it is cause of a GM shitty design and not making a drain for the residue and water the collects up there. metal and sitting water just create rust, there is no way around that. just put some grease on the bolt and you should be fine.

this has nothing to do with koni's as they are great shocks. please dont bash a company for something that mother nature causes.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I guess the design should be better, but the GM shock fared MUCH better than the konis did. Also, that doesnt explain why the rest of the shock is falling apart either.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't the Koni's have a lifetime warranty? See if you can get a set of new ones.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL!

Whoa.. .my swaybars got a little dirty, so therefore they completely suck

Maybe that thing you posted in your avatar window might have something to do with it? "You know you're here when you see the bad roads"
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
LOL!

Maybe that thing you posted in your avatar window might have something to do with it? "You know you're here when you see the bad roads"
That is not "a little dirty" as you say. That is straight up rusted and I wouldn't trust it but that's just me. The shocks in my RX-7 have been on the car for over 5 years. 3 of which is in Hawaii. Salty air. No rust anywhere. Dirty, of course but not rusted.

I will admit that states that lay salt during winter certainly don't help. I had a set of KYB coilovers in Minnesota and New Jersey but they never rusted either. The stock shock did though.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Teching In

How often do you drive the car in shitty weather?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
Don't the Koni's have a lifetime warranty? See if you can get a set of new ones.
They warrant defects in materials and workmanship. But the point of this thread wasnt for me to try and get a free set of shock....I just want users here to know what they're getting when they buy this stuff.
I suspect a lot of folks here think holy crap these are expensive, but I can run them for a few years then rebuild them, then run them again. Not so, these are pretty much one time only use as you will have to destroy them to get that parts off.
Maybe Im also hoping some one might get these pics to Koni, other users will chime in, and maybe a better constructed shock will be the result. Its a shame cause they do ride nice.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TooSlowTA
How often do you drive the car in shitty weather?
I guess youd have to check an almanac for fairfax county to see if it rained or snowed anymore in the last 4-5 years when I had konis than it did in the 5 years where I drove with the OEM shocks.
FWIW, I daily drive a jeep which is what sees most of the rain and snow salt. Out of curiosity, what amount of shitty weather is acceptable?

Out of further curiosity, has any one else on here seen these things corrode like this? Am I a unique example of this? Chime in please.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

You shouldn't ever have to rebuild them if that makes you feel better. Do you garage your car? I'm not really suprised.. stuff under the car gets nasty, rusted, corroded... I don't care personally, but then again my car isn't a garage queen.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not just you. My Konis look just as bad, if not worse. I'll try to snap a picture tonight or this weekend. It's definitely a shame, because I otherwise hold Koni in very high regard.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
LOL!

Actually my swaybars are very dirty...but not rusted. Also notice the Strano spring installed with the shock in pic 3...NO rust. Also take a look at the spring cup and other suspension parts in the pic that are twice as old as the konis....hey guess what? ...NO rust! In fact the only thing in all the pics that are falling apart are these junk konis. Let the pic speak for itself.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

That looks worse than my stock shock and mine was a lease in Indiana. The impact could still bite it and that's how I got it off. After a can of PB blaster and a day of course. That doesn't even look like a socket would bite on it. I hope my Bilsteins don't get that bad before I do the springs.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as the rust in the upper mount I coat mine completely with some Prothane clear water proof grease now. I'd at a minimum coat all the exposed metal surfaces in the upper mount with Anti-Seize, including the all of the shock shaft that goes through the upper mount; give it all a good coat! This will eliminate most if not all rust issued in the UM area. As for the rest, get under your car at least every 4-6 months and spray these rust prone areas with a spray dry lube, or other dry rust preventive product.

I will have to agree that the build quality of the Koni's could be better, it at least should be inline with Bilsteins.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
As far as the rust in the upper mount I coat mine completely with some Prothane clear water proof grease now. I'd at a minimum coat all the exposed metal surfaces in the upper mount with Anti-Seize, including the all of the shock shaft that goes through the upper mount; give it all a good coat! This will eliminate most if not all rust issued in the UM area. As for the rest, get under your car at least every 4-6 months and spray these rust prone areas with a spray dry lube, or other dry rust preventive product.

I will have to agree that the build quality could be better, it at least should be inline with Bilsteins.
Sounds like good advice.
Im not sure Im willing to give koni another shot.
Right now Im leaning towards any future shock purchases being aluminum bodied since it cant rust.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Were those shocks on the car in your avatar? If so, I'm not surprised lol
Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dabest09
Were those shocks on the car in your avatar? If so, I'm not surprised lol
Haha! I wish man. No thats not my car. That is or was one of the LS1tech default avatars you could pick when settng up your profile. Im not sure who's car that was.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UMD_Jesse
They warrant defects in materials and workmanship. But the point of this thread wasnt for me to try and get a free set of shock....I just want users here to know what they're getting when they buy this stuff.
I suspect a lot of folks here think holy crap these are expensive, but I can run them for a few years then rebuild them, then run them again. Not so, these are pretty much one time only use as you will have to destroy them to get that parts off.
Maybe Im also hoping some one might get these pics to Koni, other users will chime in, and maybe a better constructed shock will be the result. Its a shame cause they do ride nice.
Are you being serious or are you just trying to mess with us?
Ok, let me get this strait. You are mad because your shocks have paint flaking, causing surface rust? In what way does this effect how they perform?

As far as lasting a few years then rebuilding, there is no need to unless you rack up some serious miles in those few years (100,000+).

As noted the upper mound rusting is a GM design and has nothing to do with the shock, if you bother to look probably 90%+ members have to cut the top nut of the original shocks off because they are rusted so bad.
And if you think the stock decarbons or bilstiens (or any other shock for that matter) don't get surface rust you are sadly mistaken.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/b...f/100_1844.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3340/...f0785170c8.jpg
Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Are you being serious or are you just trying to mess with us?
Ok, let me get this strait. You are mad because your shocks have paint flaking, causing surface rust? In what way does this effect how they perform?

As far as lasting a few years then rebuilding, there is no need to unless you rack up some serious miles in those few years (100,000+).

As noted the upper mound rusting is a GM design and has nothing to do with the shock, if you bother to look probably 90%+ members have to cut the top nut of the original shocks off because they are rusted so bad.
And if you think the stock decarbons or bilstiens (or any other shock for that matter) don't get surface rust you are sadly mistaken.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/b...f/100_1844.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3340/...f0785170c8.jpg
Im being totally serious.

The rust does not affect how they perform nor did I claim this(Read the posts...heck read the title of the thread)
Most metals will eventually oxidize...yeah I get it. Its how fast that concerns me. Its a matter of time. Im not saying other shocks dont rust, but I am saying Konis rust and deteriorate faster than my old stock shocks. Since you posted pics, but I have no idea how long it took to get like that then the pics arent very helpful.

But I appreciate your insight.

And if you think that I think other shocks dont get surface rust than youre sadly mistaken....but I never made that claim, so what would you think that? Or why would I think that you think or anybody thinks, for that matter, that either of us think that?
Or while we're at it lets not worry about trying to read other peoples mind and guess what they think. They know what they think? dont they?

Last edited by UMD_Jesse; 06-01-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You stated in your first post that Konica are made with substandard low quality components. I believe that is far from the truth. I have Koni SA and from what I have experienced and researched, they are made of very high quality components. I know I have seen bilsteins do this as well on several vehicles I've worked on. If anything, you should only complain about the finish/paint. I do believe that most people will install suspension items and never clean them after install. It seems most don't realize that you need to clean the underside of your car by hand just like the the paint job on the body if you want the paint stay nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Konis SUCK! High performance, but junk Quality