Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pkwdercoating brakes question

Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pkwdercoating brakes question

I looked for an answer to this and could not find anythin on it. i am going to powdercoat my cts-v calipers for my f-body brake swap and i was wondering do i have to remove the brake pistons and the rubber gasket or can i just leave them retracted and just tape them? I was not sure if the rubber could go in the oven. I was thinking it might be ok because brake temps are pretty hot as well. any help i would appreciate.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 138 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by omega13
I looked for an answer to this and could not find anythin on it. i am going to powdercoat my cts-v calipers for my f-body brake swap and i was wondering do i have to remove the brake pistons and the rubber gasket or can i just leave them retracted and just tape them? I was not sure if the rubber could go in the oven. I was thinking it might be ok because brake temps are pretty hot as well. any help i would appreciate.
I removed mine, the powdercoater was explicit about fluid leakage and seal damage from the process. He also warned that any seepage would ruin the finish.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The calipers need to be fully disassembled.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in order to disassemble them I need to use an air tool and pressurize them to push the pistons out? Then do the rubber seals just come out and are they reusable? I think these are rebuilt because they look freshly painted and everything looks like it was freshly painted and the seals look brand new.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pkwdercoating brakes question