Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rubbing Sound / Adjust E-Brake??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing Sound / Adjust E-Brake??

I posted a similar thread about two months back about a consistent rubbing sound coming from my rear.

It sounded like my rear rotors constantly rubbing while braking and also when not braking. It is constant...

I thought it was my rotors so I bought new rotors and new pads 100 miles ago and the sound went about 40% away, now it is back in full force...

This sound has been annoying me for so long that Saturday I am actually taking it to the family mechanic. I just dont have the time with work to do it myself...

My question is:

Can this be anything else but my e-brake needing to be adjusted? Anything at all that you guys may think it could be.

Cause I am going to drop some money now and I would like to maybe point them in the right direction so it wont cost me as bad as it could..

Thanks guys
Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Couldn't hurt to try and adjust them. I think mine were rubbing but not noticeable when driving, only when the car was on jackstands and I spun the wheels.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 06-07-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Is there any actual braking resistance? Pads contact on the rotors is normal when not engaged.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Is there any actual braking resistance? Pads contact on the rotors is normal when not engaged.
This sound that it is making is not normal man lol.

I feel you but this is quite loud
Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I suggested, it's probably the e brake. Why haven't you tried that?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:23 PM

yes check your e brake
Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Teching In

i have the same problem but i think mine is coming from the front... someone told me to give the ebrake a tug while driving around and see if the noise stops. it did eliminate it almost completely. so i am guessing my ebrake needs to be adjusted, how do i do that? im sorry im not the brake/ suspension guru just looking for guidance also
Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
I thought it was my rotors so I bought new rotors and new pads 100 miles ago and the sound went about 40% away, now it is back in full force...
Every time the rear rotors are replaced, the parking brake must be adjusted. They are set to the bore of the drum inside the rotor. Since no two rotors are exactly the same, the brake needs adjustment.

So, if you didn't adjust them the last time, you should take off the brakes, take off both rotors, and adjust the brakes on both sides of the car.

Once you do that, I can almost guarantee that you will hear the sound come back - but at least the parking brake will be set correctly and will properly hold the car on a hill! The danger is not in the parking brake being too tight but in being too loose to hold the car on a hill.

Here's why the sound is probably not your parking brake:
- If it was too tight, the brake material would just burn down and the sound would go away.
- If it was too tight, then when you recently replaced the rotors you would have gotten a massive "ant hill" of brake dust coming out of the old rotor bores.
- If the brake was too tight, you never would have been able to get the new rotors on the car.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Every time the rear rotors are replaced, the parking brake must be adjusted. They are set to the bore of the drum inside the rotor. Since no two rotors are exactly the same, the brake needs adjustment.

So, if you didn't adjust them the last time, you should take off the brakes, take off both rotors, and adjust the brakes on both sides of the car.

Once you do that, I can almost guarantee that you will hear the sound come back - but at least the parking brake will be set correctly and will properly hold the car on a hill! The danger is not in the parking brake being too tight but in being too loose to hold the car on a hill.

Here's why the sound is probably not your parking brake:
- If it was too tight, the brake material would just burn down and the sound would go away.
- If it was too tight, then when you recently replaced the rotors you would have gotten a massive "ant hill" of brake dust coming out of the old rotor bores.
- If the brake was too tight, you never would have been able to get the new rotors on the car.
So what else can it possibly be you think? What other routes would you suggest I take? Thanks for your input
Old 06-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Save the manuals!

So what else can it possibly be you think? What other routes would you suggest I take? Thanks for your input
That's the tough one... I'd definitely adjust the emergency brake and inspect it really good to make sure there are no broken parts or pieces of metal hanging around in the wrong places. A little scrape can sound huge at speed and properly adjusting your brake can only bring added goodness.

Can you tell if the sound is only coming from one side? Do you have any modifications to the rear end or brake backing plates?

It sounded like my rear rotors constantly rubbing while braking and also when not braking. It is constant...
Maybe it is pad on rotor. Have you changed the calipers? What kind of pads and rotors did you install? There have been similar posts where people installed incorrect parts and get some scraping.

This sounds to me to be evidence that the problem is related to the regular brakes. When you replaced them, did you lube:
- Your slider pins?
- The backs of your brakes?
- All contact points for metal-to-metal?

Did you install new hardware?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a axle shaft bearing problem more that a braking problem.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's the tough one... I'd definitely adjust the emergency brake and inspect it really good to make sure there are no broken parts or pieces of metal hanging around in the wrong places. A little scrape can sound huge at speed and properly adjusting your brake can only bring added goodness.

Can you tell if the sound is only coming from one side? Do you have any modifications to the rear end or brake backing plates?

Maybe it is pad on rotor. Have you changed the calipers? What kind of pads and rotors did you install? There have been similar posts where people installed incorrect parts and get some scraping.

This sounds to me to be evidence that the problem is related to the regular brakes. When you replaced them, did you lube:
- Your slider pins?
- The backs of your brakes?
- All contact points for metal-to-metal?

Did you install new hardware?
I installed brand new HPS pads and Ws6store.com rotors about 100 miles ago but it was making this sound before the install as well. Everything was properly lubed..It is quite loud and noticeable, especially when the radio is off..Constant rubbing

The sound is definitely coming from the rear only, There are no modifications done to the rear end or braking assembly. Stock 10 bolt..

It feels like I am stuck with this sound forever.

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
Sounds like a axle shaft bearing problem more that a braking problem.

Damn, what kind of headache does that take to fix?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Save the manuals!

I installed brand new HPS pads and Ws6store.com rotors about 100 miles ago but it was making this sound before the install as well. Everything was properly lubed..It is quite loud and noticeable, especially when the radio is off..Constant rubbing

The sound is definitely coming from the rear only, There are no modifications done to the rear end or braking assembly. Stock 10 bolt..

It feels like I am stuck with this sound forever.

Damn, what kind of headache does that take to fix?
It could be the axle/bearings, then - unless something is broken on the caliper. (But I'd expect that you can see something like that.)

My understanding is that the axle bearing replacement requires removing the rear end gear and the entire axles.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It could be the axle/bearings, then - unless something is broken on the caliper. (But I'd expect that you can see something like that.)

My understanding is that the axle bearing replacement requires removing the rear end gear and the entire axles.
Thats the thing, nothing looks off when I look at the braking assembly.

However its not like I am taking the car to track all the time and launching it on drag radials.

I put 2k miles a year on the car and launch it maybe once a year if that.

Could this really be the axle/bearings, can they just one day break?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Could this really be the axle/bearings, can they just one day break?
Sure, especially if you aren't the first owner or the car has over 100K miles on it.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure, especially if you aren't the first owner or the car has over 100K miles on it.
its got 74k and is babied
Old 06-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Teching In

I have the same issue.. Kind of a constant scraping, rubbing noise from the rear. It's not extremely loud, just enough to worry me. It's been going on for a couple thousand miles and a new set of pads and rotors. I'm going to adjust my ebrake today, I know it's too loose. I've read it can be axle or pinion bearings. Subscribed...
Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doran_the_man
I have the same issue.. Kind of a constant scraping, rubbing noise from the rear. It's not extremely loud, just enough to worry me. It's been going on for a couple thousand miles and a new set of pads and rotors. I'm going to adjust my ebrake today, I know it's too loose. I've read it can be axle or pinion bearings. Subscribed...
I feel better that I am not the only one, you just exactly described it.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Well I changed the fluid and put the additive in.. Nothing. Went to the track and put some hard launches on it.. Not any louder. I'm looking into building an 8.8 this year and just be done with it.

Brakes are set up correctly. The parking break gives a high pitched screech and this is a low scraping sound. Would a bad bearing make more noise? I am running 315's. I beat in the fenders and sprayed everything black so next time I take the wheels off I can see if it's rubbing.. However I'd think that would wear down over time and stop.

Last edited by doran_the_man; 06-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Rubbing Sound / Adjust E-Brake??