Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to adjust E-Brake-01 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust E-Brake-01 Z28

First off I know the 01 Z28's E-brake is self adjusting but I was told it does still need to be adjusted at times.

Some of you know my situation from the past threads so I will be adjusting it as step 1 in the journey to locate and destroy this terrible rubbing sound that plagues my life...

So how do I exactly do this process, Please be as detailed as possible.

And thank you very much
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Tagging along on this one as well. Mines catching at the very tip top and I'm tired of it.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Tagging along on this one as well. Mines catching at the very tip top and I'm tired of it.
The more the merrier
Old 06-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Teching In

I did this a couple of months ago so it is fairly fresh in my head. Jack up one side of car. Take off rim ..oh and make sure the handbrake is in the disengaged position. remove two bolts that hold the caliper. next take the hat off, the e- brake shoes and the adjuster star are inside. Don't be afraid to use a hammer to get the hat off I had to. Once there use a screw driver and hammer to move the adjusting star. not sure which direction but one way will expand the shoes the other will contract. It also dons't hurt to spray some liquid wrench on the caliper bolts and adjusting star. Once you are finished adjusting try putting the hat back on it should fit snug meaning a little tight to go on. if it wont go on back of on the adjuster a little. Now reassemble and the ebrake handle should be around 3 -4 clicks to engage. I have pictures if needed although I haven't figured out how to post pictures.

Dale
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

So I'm guessing its just like adjusting drum brakes. Sorry I'm jumping in because mine need adjusted.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Teching In

yes, they are mini drum brakes

Dale
Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
First off I know the 01 Z28's E-brake is self adjusting
That's actually not the case and is the only way that the mechanism differs from a normal drum brake. (Full drum brakes self adjust, but these parking brakes do not.)

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
So how do I exactly do this process, Please be as detailed as possible.
Here's the procedure. You'll need to do this on both sides of the car. I suggest doing one side at a time, so if things get messed up - you can always look at the other side to figure out how to get things back together. Having someone with you who has worked on drum brakes may also be helpful.

To test the adjustment:
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Block the front wheels of the car and release the parking brake.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the brake caliper and hang it off the spring, supporting it with some wire or a coat hanger so it doesn't stress the brake hose.
- With the rotor on, manipulate the lever on the back of the brake backing plate.(Where the spring on the ebrake cable attaches.) The play in the lever should be 2-3mm at the end of the lever.

To make the adjustment:
- Take the rotor off.
- Turn the star wheel to adjust the brake pads in or out.
- Put the rotor back on, and re-measure the play in the lever at the back of the brake plate.
- Re-adjust as necessary until the play in the lever comes in to 2-3mm.

To confirm the function after both sides have been adjusted:
- With BOTH of your rotors on, your parking brake handle should only go 3-5 clicks with normal force. (Don't pull the handle without both rotors on! - bad things will happen...)

There is one big pitfall with this... Since the parking brake doesn't get adjusted often, the star wheel may rust or become seized. If this happens, you may need to disassemble the entire mechanism to get the star wheel (and its sleeve) out to free it up and lube the threads. This process is not a fun one. Good luck!

If you do need a rebuild or look at the mechansim's parts, there's a PDF diagram attached to this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspen...ake-parts.html
Old 06-17-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you need a new adjuster wheel, go to a salvage yard and get a set. I tried going through GM to get them. They told me I had to buy the whole backing plate in order to get new adjusters which are not cheap.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I hope to be doing this project in the next few weeks. So do I need any special tools for any of this?

Adjustor wheel?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 AM
Save the manuals!

All you need are the tools to take the caliper off and then a flat blade screw driver to turn the star wheel.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
That's actually not the case and is the only way that the mechanism differs from a normal drum brake. (Full drum brakes self adjust, but these parking brakes do not.)

Here's the procedure. You'll need to do this on both sides of the car. I suggest doing one side at a time, so if things get messed up - you can always look at the other side to figure out how to get things back together. Having someone with you who has worked on drum brakes may also be helpful.

To test the adjustment:
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Block the front wheels of the car and release the parking brake.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the brake caliper and hang it off the spring, supporting it with some wire or a coat hanger so it doesn't stress the brake hose.
- With the rotor on, manipulate the lever on the back of the brake backing plate.(Where the spring on the ebrake cable attaches.) The play in the lever should be 2-3mm at the end of the lever.

To make the adjustment:
- Take the rotor off.
- Turn the star wheel to adjust the brake pads in or out.
- Put the rotor back on, and re-measure the play in the lever at the back of the brake plate.
- Re-adjust as necessary until the play in the lever comes in to 2-3mm.

To confirm the function after both sides have been adjusted:
- With BOTH of your rotors on, your parking brake handle should only go 3-5 clicks with normal force. (Don't pull the handle without both rotors on! - bad things will happen...)

There is one big pitfall with this... Since the parking brake doesn't get adjusted often, the star wheel may rust or become seized. If this happens, you may need to disassemble the entire mechanism to get the star wheel (and its sleeve) out to free it up and lube the threads. This process is not a fun one. Good luck!

If you do need a rebuild or look at the mechansim's parts, there's a PDF diagram attached to this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspen...ake-parts.html
That sir is a very precise method of doing the adjustment. And by the way, maybe I should look again to make sure, but I swear my backing plates have access holes for adjusting the wheel. Using your method, there would be no reason to remove a wheel, etc.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
That sir is a very precise method of doing the adjustment. And by the way, maybe I should look again to make sure, but I swear my backing plates have access holes for adjusting the wheel. Using your method, there would be no reason to remove a wheel, etc.
The cars didn't come from the factory with an access hole.

The process is very involved because of the design. Is very solid and durable, but... the big drawback is the complicated adjustment procedure, lack of access with the wheels/rotors on, and no central adjustment. (Both sides need to be done independently.)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are probably correct. I may be thinking of my old Explorer. They have the same type of eBrake...but I know for a fact they have access holes.

Quick Reply: How to adjust E-Brake-01 Z28