Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS kicks in at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS kicks in at low speeds

For a couple days now, my ABS INOP and ASR OFF lights have been coming on. Today, my ABS decided to come on when I was just creeping forward in traffic. I felt the felt pulsate when I stopped on dry pavement from not even 5 mph. Could be a sensor not plugged in all the way? Bad ground?

I had headers put on the car a couple months ago. About a month ago I slid off the road from snow and bent both axles. The dealer replaced the axles and the right rear rotor.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check the sensors at the wheels. They may not be connected properly or broken.

--VIP1
Old 04-04-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find a way to pull the code it will direct you to the offensive wheel sensor or other problem. Until then all you can do is check connections and visible wiring. You could also ohm check all wheel sensors to see if one is differant then the others
Old 04-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Teching In

I've had the exact same problem since having my headers installed about a week ago. Got the car back and the lights were on. I had it scanned and it showed one of the rear speed sensors was bad. I pulled it out and cleaned it up but no difference. Looks like im gonna have to fork over the $100 for the part. Anyone know of a better price on them?
Old 04-05-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

I checked for codes and nothing's shown up yet. I cleaned the rear sensors and connectors and that didn't make a difference. I might try and clean the front sensors tonight. It's very intermittent but seems to be happening more often now (lights coming on, not ABS stepping in).
Old 04-05-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

The front sensors don't appear to come off like the rear ones do. Nothing was wrong with the connectors on the front though. I tried resetting the PCM and that doesn't do any good. Double checked the fuses and they're all fine. I have noticed that if the lights come on at startup, they go out when I pull out of my parking space (moving forward and turning right away).
Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

What about the surface that the sensor reads. I don know if f-body brakes are like this, but on some ABS systems, the sensor reads a slotted wheel or tothed wheel (possibly on the back of the rotor). Check that out, maybe its damaged/gummed-up/blocked.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

I saw that wheel on the inside of the rear rotors but not on the front. Must be behind a cover. Resetting the PCM *may* have fixed the problem. I haven't had any problems yet today. The car saw a lot of dyno time a couple weeks ago so that may have caused it.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jake99SS
For a couple days now, my ABS INOP and ASR OFF lights have been coming on. Today, my ABS decided to come on when I was just creeping forward in traffic. I felt the felt pulsate when I stopped on dry pavement from not even 5 mph. Could be a sensor not plugged in all the way? Bad ground?

I had headers put on the car a couple months ago. About a month ago I slid off the road from snow and bent both axles. The dealer replaced the axles and the right rear rotor.
Have the abs bleed too. Had that problem after swaping in stainless lines. Bleed the calipers but the abs needs a special bleed too. That may fix the problem too, if its not the speed sensors...
Old 04-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Jake99SS
The car saw a lot of dyno time a couple weeks ago so that may have caused it.
Thats a possibility. A lot of people report the "ABS INOP" light showing after a dyno session. I wouldn't be surprised if the computer could get sufficiently confused and behave oddly.

--VIP1