Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Bilsteins and BMR Springs

Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Bilsteins and BMR Springs

I searched and didn't really find a lot on this. I was just wondering if anyone has this setup on their car. I ran BMR springs with KONI DA's and one of the Koni DAs broke. I really want to run the same shock on all 4 corners and not have a mix and match. I figured since I'm lowered like 1.25 all the way around, it would be somewhat similar to the SLP Eibach springs as far as lowering goes. I know dampning would be a little off, but I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more concerned about putting on a shock that will live more than 8K miles. I really liked the adjustability in the Koni shocks, but I can't see dishing out another $500 for a front shock, when I can buy all 4 new for $380.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You won't have any issues running our BMR lowering springs with SLP Bilstein shocks. We have a bunch of customers that run this setup without any issues and have lots of success. For a budget friendly system it is hard to beat our BMR lowering springs paired up with Bilstein shocks.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have installed the Bilstein HD shocks on a lot of cars with your springs (can't beat the BMR spring stance either). It works well together and I've never had a customer complain. I was just curious about the SLP version to see if they were worth the extra $20. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Over a longer term I hear the Bilstiens may wear down on the BMR springrates. It should work pretty well for a while. I would personally go with the Koni SA's with the 3rd gen rear off car adjustable shock. It's a monotube shock. You won't need to change them ever again.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To be dead honest, one of my best friends has BMR springs, Bilstein HD shocks, and the same UMI sway bars as I do and his car rides/drives/feels just as good as my car has with Koni DA shocks (and yes, I tried several adjustments). I really do not think Koni shocks are worth the money especially after having one break like this. These cars ride like tanks pretty much no matter what shock you install. I'm not a racer, Koni is probably better for racing, but after all of the hassles I've read with Koni, I really think if you are gonna street drive a lot, you can save a lot of money and just put Bilsteins on your car.

This is just my honest opinion. I'm not here to start a war, but that's how I really feel.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

The war is what makes it interesting

Point taken though. Most poeple on here don't seem to care what type of damping their shocks have as long as it satisfies their ride preferences and just feels the way they want it to. I figured I would toss that in there for anyone who may care about the little details. Of course nothing that hasn't been said a million times.

.. though I really think that thread about Koni and the rust was blown out of proportion
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweet-94z28
To be dead honest, one of my best friends has BMR springs, Bilstein HD shocks, and the same UMI sway bars as I do and his car rides/drives/feels just as good as my car has with Koni DA shocks (and yes, I tried several adjustments). I really do not think Koni shocks are worth the money especially after having one break like this. These cars ride like tanks pretty much no matter what shock you install. I'm not a racer, Koni is probably better for racing, but after all of the hassles I've read with Koni, I really think if you are gonna street drive a lot, you can save a lot of money and just put Bilsteins on your car.

This is just my honest opinion. I'm not here to start a war, but that's how I really feel.
I'm on the same thought as you, I have had a friend who had Koni's that were crap after less than 15k miles and he wasn't that hard on the car, heck he drove slower than me and I get made fun of for driving like a grandma. I then installed the rebuilt Koni's and Koni sent him new front shocks with busted adjusters, they would barely turn at all. I have also heard of a few other people having an issue with Koni's, the only way I would go with Koni is if I got them through a friend of my Dad's who still works for a major sponsor of koni and I could get them for a lot cheaper than they normally sell for.

I have some hyperco springs I recently purchased and am curious how Bilstein HD's do with lowering springs.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just ordered SLP Bilsteins from WS6Store. Can't beat their price and free shipping!!!

I have nice rear DA's for sale too. lol
Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

seems like the DA fronts are a lot more troublesome than the SA fronts
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 AM
Staging Lane

I just ordered SLP Bilsteins from WS6Store. Can't beat their price and free shipping!!!

I have nice rear DA's for sale too. lol
I am really considering going with those shocks and the BMR front lowering springs with the hose mod in the rear on my car. Keep us posted on what you think of the Bilsteins when you get them installed.

What type of driving does your car see ?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car sees 99% street. There is the occasional autocross or trip to the drag strip, but nothing crazy. The roads around me are pretty good (smooth and flat). I know the HD's work OK with the BMR springs, but we will see how the SLP ones do. For an extra $20, they are worth a try. Chris at WS6 Store said they are 1 year SLP warranty, then lifetime warranty through Bilstein. Either way you get the same shock. He said he has done probably only 2 warranty returns in all of the sets of these shocks he has sold. In both cases, Bilstein sent new shocks and asked very few questions. Sounds like they stand firm behind their product.

And by the way, you can't beat the BMR springs either in my opinion. Its a killer stance, and the price is awesome. They still ride fairly soft, but definitely make the car handle like its on rails. I know stranos are very comparable, but my car always was way too soft in the rear so I wanted to firm it up as much as possible.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I searched and didn't really find a lot on this. I was just wondering if anyone has this setup on their car. I ran BMR springs with KONI DA's and one of the Koni DAs broke. I really want to run the same shock on all 4 corners and not have a mix and match. I figured since I'm lowered like 1.25 all the way around, it would be somewhat similar to the SLP Eibach springs as far as lowering goes. I know dampning would be a little off, but I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more concerned about putting on a shock that will live more than 8K miles. I really liked the adjustability in the Koni shocks, but I can't see dishing out another $500 for a front shock, when I can buy all 4 new for $380.
Why would you have to dish out any money for a new Koni? They have a lifetime warranty.
And 8K miles is ridiculous, sounds like either a lemon, install error, or really low springs.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

My car sees 99% street. There is the occasional autocross or trip to the drag strip, but nothing crazy. The roads around me are pretty good (smooth and flat). I know the HD's work OK with the BMR springs, but we will see how the SLP ones do. For an extra $20, they are worth a try. Chris at WS6 Store said they are 1 year SLP warranty, then lifetime warranty through Bilstein. Either way you get the same shock. He said he has done probably only 2 warranty returns in all of the sets of these shocks he has sold. In both cases, Bilstein sent new shocks and asked very few questions. Sounds like they stand firm behind their product.

And by the way, you can't beat the BMR springs either in my opinion. Its a killer stance, and the price is awesome. They still ride fairly soft, but definitely make the car handle like its on rails. I know stranos are very comparable, but my car always was way too soft in the rear so I wanted to firm it up as much as possible.
Driving for my 02 car will be the same 99-100% street but the roads here are fairly rough so I expect to see a less comfortable ride than stock but an aggressive stance, better handling, and as comfortable of a ride as I can get within a reasonable budget is my goal. Don't want much do I

Thanks for the warranty info that is a great bonus to find out they have the SLP 1 year and Bilstein lifetime warranty.

As for the BMR springs I kept going back and forth between those and the Eibach for the aggressive stance they give. I considered Hotchkis and Strano springs as well but I am leaning towards the BMR's.

My 97 T/A is lowered and has 18" C5 wheels and 140k on it and it rides like a stagecoach but it looks very aggressive, it was lowered by the previous owner so I don't know what it has.

Do you have any pictures of your car with the BMR springs on it showing the stance from the side ?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Why would you have to dish out any money for a new Koni? They have a lifetime warranty.
And 8K miles is ridiculous, sounds like either a lemon, install error, or really low springs.
1. I'm not the original purchaser. I bought them from a dude locally because he lost his job for $1200. They were brand new in the box. When I got to his place, they were still in the box from Summit all sealed up. This is one of the things they specify on their warranty sheet.

2. Koni also claims it appears to be improper install because they think it was torqued too tight. To me it looks like a improperly stress relieved part. They weld the top on, and it broke where the heat penetration ended into the mounting stud which screams manufacturing flaw to me. One of my many functions at work is tool and die design....

3. After talking to Koni, I'm less than impressed. Bilstein is cheaper and will stand behind their product. They are a better company IMO. Customer care is everything. Just like when I tune cars for people...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by echos67
Driving for my 02 car will be the same 99-100% street but the roads here are fairly rough so I expect to see a less comfortable ride than stock but an aggressive stance, better handling, and as comfortable of a ride as I can get within a reasonable budget is my goal. Don't want much do I

Thanks for the warranty info that is a great bonus to find out they have the SLP 1 year and Bilstein lifetime warranty.

As for the BMR springs I kept going back and forth between those and the Eibach for the aggressive stance they give. I considered Hotchkis and Strano springs as well but I am leaning towards the BMR's.

My 97 T/A is lowered and has 18" C5 wheels and 140k on it and it rides like a stagecoach but it looks very aggressive, it was lowered by the previous owner so I don't know what it has.

Do you have any pictures of your car with the BMR springs on it showing the stance from the side ?
Here are some pictures....

Front

Rear
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet94,
Thanks for the pics, that is definatley a nice stance. Let BMR know they can get your commision check ready because im sold on their springs now.

Nice color on the T/A and shop too !
Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here are some pictures....

Front

Rear
You have a good looking car with an amazing stance. I would say that the BMR springs are working for you.

Originally Posted by echos67
Sweet94,
Thanks for the pics, that is definatley a nice stance. Let BMR know they can get your commision check ready because im sold on their springs now.

Nice color on the T/A and shop too !
Awesome! When you are ready for the springs give us a call!

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got the setup on tonight. Took it out for a drive and the ride is much smoother than the Konis ever were (so definitely an improvement over stock stuff too). The handling is down a bit, but I feel like in a launch, the car weight transfers much better than it did stock or with Konis. I will say that bang for the buck, they were worth every penny! A great combo. My hats off to WS6 store for the awesome deal on the shocks and the super fast shipping! Thanks again everyone for making some good products!!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

That is some Great news, I better get mine on order then.

Thanks for all the info Sweet
Old 06-29-2012, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove it to work this morning too. The ride is much more comfortable. It's a lot less harsh and the car seems to react about the same as the Koni shocks did. The car does body roll a little more than it did with the Koni shocks on it, but thats not a huge deal to me. So all in all, I say are Koni shocks better? Yes they are. Are they hundreds of dollars better? IMO, Not really. I'm curious to see what the longevity of these are, but if they last more than 8K miles, I will be happy. Depends what someone's looking for, but I will say that I don't regret "cheaping out" and getting these bilsteins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SLP Bilsteins and BMR Springs