Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should we install a BMR torque arm and relocation bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should we install a BMR torque arm and relocation bracket?

My friend's 2000 Trans-Am has some wheel hop issues. He has new shocks, struts, and lower control arms, motor mounts, and tranny mount but it still hops. He has 19" wheels in the back with low profile tires, which I think are contributing to the hop some, but the wheels are staying.

So will a torque arm and bracket help? He doesn't want to spend the cash if it won't help.

Has anyone used this torque arm?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

subscribed. I would like to know!!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have their adj torque arm and the relocation bracket!!! Love it!!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by t5munoz
I have their adj torque arm and the relocation bracket!!! Love it!!

Did you have wheel hop issues and did it seem to solve your problems? Im sorry thread jack
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No i did not i wanted to replace all suspension parts due to the fact that i put a dana s60 in the rear so wanted to up grade took to track multiple times and now wheel hop at all!!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I am suprised you are having the wheel hop issue considering you already have our BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets but I bet the low profile tires may be contributing to that a bit. The torque arm should help the wheel hop a bit by helping control the movement of the rear suspension better. The torque arm relocation crossmember is always a good thing becasue anytime you can get the torque arm off the transmission tailshaft housing it is a good thing. I normally recommend that people do them at the same time if they can just becasue there is some overlapping labor.

I have some questions about his current setup, is the car lowered at all? If so how much? Also which hole do you have the lower control arms mounted to on the lower control arm reloaction brackets? These questions will help me see if you have something else going on.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

All the sudden yesterday my car wheel hopped for the first time. Never happened before so I gt under and looked it all over and it looks like my stock TA bushing has a rip in it....wasn't like that a few days ago so I'm guessing thats where the wheel hop came from.
I'm also looking at umi for an adjustable TA to fix it
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I am suprised you are having the wheel hop issue considering you already have our BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets but I bet the low profile tires may be contributing to that a bit. The torque arm should help the wheel hop a bit by helping control the movement of the rear suspension better. The torque arm relocation crossmember is always a good thing becasue anytime you can get the torque arm off the transmission tailshaft housing it is a good thing. I normally recommend that people do them at the same time if they can just becasue there is some overlapping labor.

I have some questions about his current setup, is the car lowered at all? If so how much? Also which hole do you have the lower control arms mounted to on the lower control arm reloaction brackets? These questions will help me see if you have something else going on.

Kyle
Car isnt lowered at all, its on the lowest hole on the relocation bracket. They are low profile tires 285-35-19. The wheels look good even though they would not have been my first choice in wheels if I would have bought them but Im not really planning on getting rid of them. I think its possible they the torque bushing could be broken (havent had the car in the air yet to look) My big question would be, will the torque arm help with wheel hop? The other thing is if Im not ready to buy the relocation bracket would a stronger TA cause more of a chance of breaking the tailshift? I dont track my car much but if do I baby it off the line cause of the stock 10bolt. I putting about 375-380 to the ground (havent been to a dyno since my ls6 parts were put on).
Old 07-09-2012, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by smokenssz
Car isnt lowered at all, its on the lowest hole on the relocation bracket. They are low profile tires 285-35-19. The wheels look good even though they would not have been my first choice in wheels if I would have bought them but Im not really planning on getting rid of them. I think its possible they the torque bushing could be broken (havent had the car in the air yet to look) My big question would be, will the torque arm help with wheel hop? The other thing is if Im not ready to buy the relocation bracket would a stronger TA cause more of a chance of breaking the tailshift? I dont track my car much but if do I baby it off the line cause of the stock 10bolt. I putting about 375-380 to the ground (havent been to a dyno since my ls6 parts were put on).
Get under the car and check the torque arm bsuhings and I would even check the transmission mount mount just to be safe. The torque should help with the wheel hop because it will help control the rear end movement better. It seems like the chances of breaking the tailshaft are the same for the stock torque arm vs a stronger tubular torque arm. I have quite a few pictures with both. You would think there would be a better chance with the more rigid tubular torque arm but it is hard to tell whether that is true or not.

If I were you I would move the lower control arms up a hole in the relocation brackets which will keep the cra from hitting the tire so hard and should help a little.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Get under the car and check the torque arm bsuhings and I would even check the transmission mount mount just to be safe. The torque should help with the wheel hop because it will help control the rear end movement better. It seems like the chances of breaking the tailshaft are the same for the stock torque arm vs a stronger tubular torque arm. I have quite a few pictures with both. You would think there would be a better chance with the more rigid tubular torque arm but it is hard to tell whether that is true or not.

If I were you I would move the lower control arms up a hole in the relocation brackets which will keep the cra from hitting the tire so hard and should help a little.
Thanks for the response and all of the information BMR. I'm sure your products are doing their job just fine. I think it's the 'tard behind the wheel myself. I'll make sure he changes the hole on the LCA bracket and checks everything out.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i beat on my car with bmr's torque arm all the time, with about 360 hp/tq, no problems at all with the rear end or other parts. also helped with the car 'porpoising' over bumps. other than the konis, best suspension mod ive done. no relocation bracket (yet) and im lowered.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
Thanks for the response and all of the information BMR. I'm sure your products are doing their job just fine. I think it's the 'tard behind the wheel myself. I'll make sure he changes the hole on the LCA bracket and checks everything out.
Internet tuff guy huh...sounds like dude that won't get to drive my car thanks again Kyle! Ill let ya know how it turns out with the changes and upgrades
Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Internet tuff guy huh...sounds like dude that won't get to drive my car thanks again Kyle! Ill let ya know how it turns out with the changes and upgrades
Keep in mind that I know where you live .............
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

No problem guys! Let me know how the changes work out. If you guys run into anything else don't hesitate to give me a call.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
Keep in mind that I know where you live .............
When you come over uninvited

Quick Reply: Should we install a BMR torque arm and relocation bracket?