Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me identify this sound....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me identify this sound....

My car is rattling so bad that it isn't even fun to drive anymore!!!!!

The slower I'm driving the louder the rattling is from the rear end. I mean, it's LOUD when under 20 mph. It feels like the rear is about to fall out! At speed it's not that bad.

I've checked to make sure nothing was loose under the car. I can't figure this out!!!!

Thanks for the help y'all!

Scott
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Put the car on a set of jack stands and when the rear wheels are off the ground start it up and put it in gear. If you hear the sound it is driveline related and you may be able to pin point it, if you dont hear the sound chances are it is suspension, body, or heat shield related.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HowdyZ_28
My car is rattling so bad that it isn't even fun to drive anymore!!!!!

The slower I'm driving the louder the rattling is from the rear end. I mean, it's LOUD when under 20 mph. It feels like the rear is about to fall out! At speed it's not that bad.

I've checked to make sure nothing was loose under the car. I can't figure this out!!!!

Thanks for the help y'all!

Scott
Gotta be more specific than that.
When did this start? Did you add something to the car? Did you hit something? Were you doing a burnout? Getting wheel hop?
What exactly does it sound like? (exhaust banging floor board, or more like gear grinding, or metal in a tin can, or clunking or what?)
Old 07-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry for the late response guys!

Let me be a little more specific-- The rattling only occurs when I go over a bump or dip (and it doesn't have to be big). I first noticed it when I got my car off the ship (having been shipped from Hawaii to Germany almost 2 years ago). I only drive the car for about 5 months out of the year, and only a couple days per week during that time.
I don't believe that it is the drive line. It sounds as if something is loose in the rear end.
I've been under it a few times to make sure none of the suspension is loose (and it's not).
I just can't figure it out....!

Thanks in advance for the help y'all!

Scott
Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Check ur lca bushings those can make clunking noises or the tourqe arm bushing and panhard bar
Old 07-30-2012, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What's done with your suspension. I see in your signature that you're using HAL/QA1 shocks teamed with lower control arms and a panhard bar. Do either of those suspension components use rod ends by chance? If not, have you inspected the bushings and bolt or the endlinks on your sway bars? Can the sound be recreated with the car on the ground just putting load on the rear?

There is also a chance the exhaust over-axle pipe is hitting the panhard bar or exhaust shield, so take a peek at that area too.

Let me know!
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
What's done with your suspension. I see in your signature that you're using HAL/QA1 shocks teamed with lower control arms and a panhard bar. Do either of those suspension components use rod ends by chance? If not, have you inspected the bushings and bolt or the endlinks on your sway bars? Can the sound be recreated with the car on the ground just putting load on the rear?

There is also a chance the exhaust over-axle pipe is hitting the panhard bar or exhaust shield, so take a peek at that area too.

Let me know!
- Kevin

Yes, my LCA's and PHB both have rod ends. I've read through a couple of threads and I'm starting to think that the rod ends are the reason for the clunking/rattling. What do you think?

Now the question is: how do I fix it?
I love how the car handles (here in Germany I will choose performance over comfort) but when I move back to the States in a year I'm going to want more ride comfort.
Any suggestions to quiet it down?

Thanks!

Scott
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Yes, my LCA's and PHB both have rod ends. I've read through a couple of threads and I'm starting to think that the rod ends are the reason for the clunking/rattling. What do you think?

I love how the car handles (here in Germany I will choose performance over comfort) but when I move back to the States in a year I'm going to want more ride comfort.

Thanks!

Scott
Rod ends are tricky like that. They're certainly the most precise joint for a suspension component, but they're going to make some noise. What we suggest to combat this is a rod end on the rearend side and then a poly on the body side. However, if you already have rod/rod parts, that doesn't help you much as the components are different. So, unfortunately, the only way to fix it would be to replace the arms and bar.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks!

Scott
I didn't even notice your mods.
But first let me say that if you are into handling and you are running drag shocks like QA1/HALs, you are leaving A LOT on the table. Get yourself some good handling shocks, you don't know what you're missing.
Next, rod ended suspension is known for noise over time, but have you tried greasing the bushings?
A better alternative may be some rotojoints from UMI, or even some 1LE solid rubber bushings with stock parts.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys, you've been a huge help!
(I know the QA-1's aren't the best shock for my application but they were a steal when I got them and I figured they had to be better than stock).

Scott
Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks for the input guys, you've been a huge help!
(I know the QA-1's aren't the best shock for my application but they were a steal when I got them and I figured they had to be better than stock).

Scott
You're welcome.

Yeah, drag shocks are designed for weight transfer, and not comprehending road surfaces and how the vehicle will comply to them. They are certainly better than stock, but a good set of shocks would help out a lot. I would say when you come state-side, it should be your first mod.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Help me identify this sound....