Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Line-Lock Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Line-Lock Question?

I think I'm going to install my line-lock tomorrow since I already have the car apart.
My question is, once I have it installed do i need to bleed both the front and rear brakes or do I just do the rears since that is the only part of the system I am introducing air into?

Also, I don't feel comfortable with just the one switch for the line lock. It's too easy to get accidentally flipped when I'm driving. What I'd like to do is add a second switch in-line as a safety, is this okay to do? I wouldn't mind even going I step further and adding a 12V key switch inline before the toggle that way the key has to be in and on before the toggle will work. Can I do this?

Thanks for your help,
Brett
Old 04-03-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brett H
I think I'm going to install my line-lock tomorrow since I already have the car apart.
My question is, once I have it installed do i need to bleed both the front and rear brakes or do I just do the rears since that is the only part of the system I am introducing air into?

Also, I don't feel comfortable with just the one switch for the line lock. It's too easy to get accidentally flipped when I'm driving. What I'd like to do is add a second switch in-line as a safety, is this okay to do? I wouldn't mind even going I step further and adding a 12V key switch inline before the toggle that way the key has to be in and on before the toggle will work. Can I do this?

Thanks for your help,
Brett
Don't know the answer to your question, but two switches is a good idea.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

well you dont have to worry bout bleeding the rear breaks ypu install it on the fronts , as for a second switch good idea yes but dont wire it the way slp tells ya to the switches will have to control the 12v+ side of the system not the ground side like there directions say.another idea is to install the switch in a place where it wont get hit. mines in my ashtray(dont smoke )
Old 04-04-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would there be any harm in bleeding all four corners?We exchange brake fluid on a regular basis with brake jobs, to flush any crud that gets in the system. I change my brake fluid every two years on mine and never had an ABS of any kind or fluid problem.Just my .02

Last edited by zombie1; 04-04-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks but now I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that the solinod was put in line with the rear brake lines that way when you flipped the toggle and applied the brakes the valve blocked the fluid to the rear calipers to keep them from locking?
Old 04-04-2004, 07:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

you could probbly get away with that but its designed to hold the fronts and release the back, push brakes down, engage lift foot , fronts still on , 2 feet free extremly easy burnout on a 6speed car, and no harm done to any brakes,
Old 04-04-2004, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Okay I understand. The valve, once activated, keeps the pressure in the front brake lines, then when you're done your burnout flipping the toggle dumps the pressure holding the front brakes back to the reservoir.

With regards to the wiring, are you saying that I need to get the power from under the dash then go through the toggle to the solenoid and ground the solenoid under the hood?
Old 04-04-2004, 08:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

you pretty much got it, when done , flip back brakes release .
you will want the switch on the positi=ve side controlling power not the ground, any good 12v source will work