Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano 3 way rear adjustable sway bar??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works the same but made differently huh? That is interesting. You would think that solid trumps hallow everytime concerning stifness when comparing similar diameter bars. I guess I saved money going with the Spohn which is nonadjustable so I lose out on softening/stiffening the rear. Good luck on your choice.

Last edited by ssgunny; 08-08-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know right!, But thats what i heard, the solid vs hollow bars if both are 22mm they will work the same, i guess its what material they are made out of, IMOP the solid would be stronger and stiffer, the hollow would be more streetable and will twist/bend with spring like tention eazer, also being lighter but more prone to breaking or cracking, again im no suspension guy , still learning , from what i heard its better going with the hollow bar because its suspost to be as strong but lighter,
Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Launching!

i would still like to know who has a strano 22mm or 25mm adjustable/hollow rear sway bar , and how it feels on the street
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't have actual data or equations to explain why.. but the general guideline seems to be that a lot of the hollow swaybars of same diameter of other solid swaybars are only a little bit less stiff. Hollow is a good design as it doesn't compromise much stiffness while saving you some weight.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
so making the bar shorter in the back increases how much the bar reduces roll?
Yep... you shorten the lever arm, which makes the bar act stiffer..that's how it works. Nothing magical, pretty similar to how when you cut a spring you make the spring stiffer as there is less to flex.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bars are torsion springs... a hollow bar doesn't compromise much stiffness vs. a solid one, especially if the wall thickness isn't paper thin. Simply put, the outer diameter of the bar moves much more than the middle, which is why you can remove it and still have a bar of similar stiffness.

A solid 1" bar is IMHO too stiff for anyone who likes to really drive their car in a spirited fashion around corners. I prefer a 22mm bar, but I get there are reasons that sometimes folks want more range, so I offer the adjustables. The guy who runs a big tire stagger, or does some drag racing, or whatever might want some ability to stiffen the rear bar sometimes, but not deal with the freaking bridge girder all the time.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Launching!

i have a bridge girder
Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Launching!

sam im about ready to pull the trigger, just hope the 1" adjustable bar is not to stiff and stiff enough for the 1/4 mile, Yes i have staggered tire, stock 275/40/17 front and MT DR 295/45/17 rear, what if i just installed a 22MM performance in the rear would it be stiff enought to keep 700 rwhp straight?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't personally like 1" bars, I think they are too stiff. Bear in mind that I don't keep a lot of 22's here. I have 5 on order, due early next week (3 of which are sold). I NEVER keep the 1" bar here, that's a special order one.

If you have a stock bar a 22 adjustable is a lot stiffer even on soft, it's a LOT stiffer on full stiff. It's not as stiff as a 1" bar, but I'm not sure you need that. I know you want to know if "it'll keep 700rwhp straight". Can't say, the stiffer the bar the more roll stiffness the less the car will roll to the right. That's why drag bars are so flippin' big. But they aren't all that street friendly if you also want a car that really drives well.... I suspect you are looking this way over drag bars to have a street friendly car, no?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Launching!

"Yes" exactly, i have that Monster spohn "drag" bar on the back, its been on my car for 2 years, Yes it keeps the car straight , No twist at all, I only have used my car on the street , No track time Yett and no dead stop pulls from a dig, Just some pulls at a slow roll, car does stay straight as a arrow with the "Drag" bar but it feels like **** over rougher road, I think you know exactly what im talking about,
So Yes im looking for a street friendly set up being the car will only see the track once a year for fun.
I think my 295/45/17 MT DR's will rub a little on the right side if its to soft, I never rolled the fenders,
Old 08-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Launching!

the rest of my suspension i think is pretty street friendly, i have a adjustable pan hard bar and LCA's, stock springs and your SA konies in the rear,

Front is stock springs Your SA konies set on the lower pearch , thats it on the front, and i think the front feels pretty good, still using the stock 32mm SS sway bar

o yeah i do have that UMI TQ arm relocation tranny brace, the one that gets the TQ arm off the tranny tail shaft with a adjustable spohn TQ arm, i get a banging from it from under the car, not sure what it is feels like its right under the shifter, im thinking on changing out the spohn TQ arm with a UMI arm, i think the way the spohn arm is designed its not friendly with the UMI relocation brace, altho i was told any TQ arm will work with that brace, who knows but i hate the banging
Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah, I think we start with the 22, seriously. I can't see your tires being an issue, that's not that huge and rubbing happens more in compression than in roll and that the bar has nothing to do with (the compression).

Old 08-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Launching!

I think it only rubbed once a year ago, it never rubbed again, Sam do u know the PSI etc between the 22 adjustable and the 1" (25mm) adjustable bar?

I think the spohn drag bar i have is a 1 5/16" solid bar
Old 08-16-2012, 02:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

PSI? No such thing. I assume you are asking the spring rate of the bars, yes? I do, but I don't give it out. Too many issues, far too many issues, with folks running away with proprietary information (the wall thickness if part of the rate).

The 25mm is far closer to the 22 than it is the 33.375mm bar you have on the back now.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Launching!

ok i understand, but compared to the Hotchkis 15/16ths adjustable sway bar kit , 225, 240, 255 LBS/in Rates is your 22 or 25 close to that?? being 15/16" is in between 22and 25mm (1") , about how much stronger in LBS/in is the 25mm (1") bar , im not going to run away and build my own bar, i just want to but the right one this time
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Launching!

I believe the Spohn "Drag" Bridge girder i have now is between 1200 and 1500 lbs/in
Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1LE front bar and a stock rear bar(as most 1LE's were delivered). I like the softer rear bar as it allows me to put power down pretty good out of the corner.

With Koni's and Sam's springs this car turns REALLY well.

More rear bar on a car you want to turn has it's downfalls, the more rear bar the "looser" or more oversteer it induces. Or lessens the oversteer.

The stiffer you go on swaybars the worse wet handling gets.

Slight understeer is easier to manage than any oversteer, especially for a beginner.

Everything under your car works as a system, when you change something it's like dropping a rock into a pond.

Sam's springs, Koni Shocks, 1LE front bar and the stock rear bar is a killer setup IMHO.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS2Ttype
ok i understand, but compared to the Hotchkis 15/16ths adjustable sway bar kit , 225, 240, 255 LBS/in Rates is your 22 or 25 close to that?? being 15/16" is in between 22and 25mm (1") , about how much stronger in LBS/in is the 25mm (1") bar , im not going to run away and build my own bar, i just want to but the right one this time
You might not, doesn't mean others don't take that information and run with it. It happens.

15/16" is 24mm I make 22 and 25.4mm bars, we use different type endlinks and wall thickness tubing too. The 22 is softer, the 25 is stiffer, the Hotchkis is in middle, but there is some overlap between them. Basically the Hotchkis can't get as soft as a 22, or as stiff as the 25mm bar.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I have a 1LE front bar and a stock rear bar(as most 1LE's were delivered). I like the softer rear bar as it allows me to put power down pretty good out of the corner.

With Koni's and Sam's springs this car turns REALLY well.

More rear bar on a car you want to turn has it's downfalls, the more rear bar the "looser" or more oversteer it induces. Or lessens the oversteer.

The stiffer you go on swaybars the worse wet handling gets.

Slight understeer is easier to manage than any oversteer, especially for a beginner.

Everything under your car works as a system, when you change something it's like dropping a rock into a pond.

Sam's springs, Koni Shocks, 1LE front bar and the stock rear bar is a killer setup IMHO.
First, the ratio of my 35mm front and 22mm rear bar is very similar to the 32/19 bars FASTFATBOY likes the balance of. And that's on purpose.

As for wet handling... well bars are in fact springs and add wheel rate, but only when twisting. I live in an area that is rains, and I race in the rain too. The bars aren't a mess in the wet fwiw.. Like you said, it's a system and it's not like I'm running ballistic spring rates with them.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:14 AM
Launching!

yeah i understand all that, Now i have to chose , do i get the 22 adjustable that can go more soft or do i get the 25 that can go a little more stiffer, im thinking the 25 because i dont road race at all, just cruse and a little drag racing, i dont know just want to get the right one, How much sam shipped to 11727 NY

Quick Reply: Strano 3 way rear adjustable sway bar??