Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C6 vs F-Bod (Handling) ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 vs F-Bod (Handling) ??

Here is my situation guys.

I am 25 years old, I have my 01 Z28 in my sig. The car has got 75k on it (garaged) and I put about 2k per year on the car.

I have two options:

I always wanted a Corvette (LS3 C6--LS6 C5 Z06) but I wont have the money for one for a few years (2-3) with my other expenses.

(Paying student debt, Saving for house, Lexus car payment, etc)

Next summer I will have around 5k to blow so I am looking to throw a (FAST intake, Cam, etc) in the Z28. If I do this I will probably just keep the car and not get a vette since I am planning on putting a D1SC on it as well.

(Which comes the rear end, full suspension, rebuilt T56, etc)

Heres the thing. I used to own a 2004 GTO and I fell in LOVE with the IRS. Yes I know from a drag strip perspective a solid rear axle is the way to go but I could honestly go wo it because I just love the way the GTO handled on the highway.

I do NOT feel confident with my Z28 pushing it in turns upward of 100mph even with the suspension mods in my sig.

SO MY QUESTION IS:

Can a F-Bod with a full suspension (Sway Bars, Front Members etc). Everything you can think of, EVER be able to hang with a Corvette on a highway chase if the power was close regardless of weight ratio.

Feel free to speak your minds and give any past info/experience. I would like to settle this because if not I am probably going to just hold off on the Z28 mods, sell the Camaro and buy a Vette in 2 years.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, an f-body can be set up to handle well. Will it handle as well as a C6? Maybe, just depends on the parts used.

But (and that's a big BUT), the C6 is the better platform as it is a bit lighter, has better weight distribution, and already has IRS.

Personally, I gave up trying to make my Camaro into something it wasn't, and what it wasn't was a Vette. It handled well for what it was, but after throwing all that money, time and effort into it, I still wasn't happy. It rattled, the rear never felt firmly planted (probably could have been fixed with a Watts link I never installed), and it was nose heavy.

If you've ever driven a C6 for even a little bit, you already know what I'm talking about. In stock form, they are very capable cars, and they can be modded to be even better. An f-body can only go so far.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Yes, an f-body can be set up to handle well. Will it handle as well as a C6? Maybe, just depends on the parts used.

But (and that's a big BUT), the C6 is the better platform as it is a bit lighter, has better weight distribution, and already has IRS.

Personally, I gave up trying to make my Camaro into something it wasn't, and what it wasn't was a Vette. It handled well for what it was, but after throwing all that money, time and effort into it, I still wasn't happy. It rattled, the rear never felt firmly planted (probably could have been fixed with a Watts link I never installed), and it was nose heavy.

If you've ever driven a C6 for even a little bit, you already know what I'm talking about. In stock form, they are very capable cars, and they can be modded to be even better. An f-body can only go so far.
Sometimes, even when you know it. You just do not want to believe the truth =/ lol Thanks man. Yeah I definitely know what you mean.

I was just wondering if anyone had some real success modding their F-Bod from a handling standpoint that could compare to a C6. But IRS is a pretty sweet thing.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No help with the suspension question but a vette will always be a vette.. They are all over and year after they will be better then the last. I have owned a ws6 in the past. And two c6s after it and was never really in love with my vettes. The ws6 just had the look and rarity. I just bought another TA for a toy and am having more fun with it then my vettes. If you love the camaro mod it. If you want a better platform and don't care about depreciation and having the latest and greatest get the vette.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how often do you really take your camaro to the limits. I mean are you going to be using the car on a track?? I've driven vettes in the past and yes they are nice and handle great but like poster above said I just never really felt like I wanted to buy one for myself. I see them everywhere in Houston and are not really that rare. I don't see alot of nicely modded SS's or WS6's very much anymore.

I had my first Camaro when I was 16 and have owned one ever since. Something about a Camaro just screams fun to me kinda like my dads mustangs he has had since he was a kid. Big loud motors are just heaven in my ears.

BTW I think someone on here has converted an Fbody to IRS. Maybe do a quick search. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree, i mean i have wanted an LS7 powered Vette since they came out, but it will never have the special place in my heart that my WS6 does...i mean just look at it, it is pure evil!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Here is my situation guys.

I am 25 years old, I have my 01 Z28 in my sig. The car has got 75k on it (garaged) and I put about 2k per year on the car.

I have two options:

I always wanted a Corvette (LS3 C6--LS6 C5 Z06) but I wont have the money for one for a few years (2-3) with my other expenses.

(Paying student debt, Saving for house, Lexus car payment, etc)

Next summer I will have around 5k to blow so I am looking to throw a (FAST intake, Cam, etc) in the Z28. If I do this I will probably just keep the car and not get a vette since I am planning on putting a D1SC on it as well.

(Which comes the rear end, full suspension, rebuilt T56, etc)

Heres the thing. I used to own a 2004 GTO and I fell in LOVE with the IRS. Yes I know from a drag strip perspective a solid rear axle is the way to go but I could honestly go wo it because I just love the way the GTO handled on the highway.

I do NOT feel confident with my Z28 pushing it in turns upward of 100mph even with the suspension mods in my sig.

SO MY QUESTION IS:

Can a F-Bod with a full suspension (Sway Bars, Front Members etc). Everything you can think of, EVER be able to hang with a Corvette on a highway chase if the power was close regardless of weight ratio.

Feel free to speak your minds and give any past info/experience. I would like to settle this because if not I am probably going to just hold off on the Z28 mods, sell the Camaro and buy a Vette in 2 years.

This question (and questions like it) have been asked numerous times, try a search.
Simply put, yes you can easily set the car up to hang with/beat a stock C6 vette, but no it will never feel like a Corvette with its IRS, 50/50 weight balance, short overhangs and low center of gravity. You can get the car to feel damn good though.
I like this video as an example, its Sam Strano driving his old Z28 auto-x car (just bolt ons, simple bolt in suspension [koni/strano setup], no chassis bracing, full weight street car with sticky tires) - chasing down and passing a 911 GT3 driven by an instructor:

Just a couple threads down you can see a video of the new owner driving the car :
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ar-action.html
The right mods go a long way...
Old 08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a corvette, get a corvette.

Chances are, you will be back in an fbody at some point in your life.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

What's your driving application here? Just on a highway? If thats the case then just whoever has the most power and ability to avoid cops.

If you end up doing a real race, road race, autox, then you will get smoked your first time out there by lots of older guys with more experience. Real racing requires experience and seat time.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
I am 25 years old

SO MY QUESTION IS:

OK, I'll bite...why would you need to be chasing people at 100 mph on the highway? Being 25 and having 400 or 500 hp, it won't matter what you're driving because you'll wrap it around a pole or a tree eventually.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
how often do you really take your camaro to the limits. I mean are you going to be using the car on a track?? I've driven vettes in the past and yes they are nice and handle great but like poster above said I just never really felt like I wanted to buy one for myself. I see them everywhere in Houston and are not really that rare. I don't see alot of nicely modded SS's or WS6's very much anymore.

I had my first Camaro when I was 16 and have owned one ever since. Something about a Camaro just screams fun to me kinda like my dads mustangs he has had since he was a kid. Big loud motors are just heaven in my ears.

BTW I think someone on here has converted an Fbody to IRS. Maybe do a quick search. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Yes I will definitely be planning on taking the car to the track quite often, but I do like crusing the highways late around my house as well. I believe another reason is that I am afraid my Z28 is going to start falling apart. It all ready has a few sounds and squeeks I dont care for but are in the process of getting fixed. It just seems like once I fix one, another one surfaces a few weeks later. I mainly am trying to save money with either modding the Camaro or buying a Vette. If I put the Cam in the Z28 this upcoming summer I will all ready be 5k in for which I could have had for the Vette. Also the fact the car has 75k on it is worrying me as well eventhough I only drive the car 2k per year.

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
i agree, i mean i have wanted an LS7 powered Vette since they came out, but it will never have the special place in my heart that my WS6 does...i mean just look at it, it is pure evil!

beautiful car man! I think if I had a WS6 instead of a Z28 I would def just stick with it over the Vette

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This question (and questions like it) have been asked numerous times, try a search.
Simply put, yes you can easily set the car up to hang with/beat a stock C6 vette, but no it will never feel like a Corvette with its IRS, 50/50 weight balance, short overhangs and low center of gravity. You can get the car to feel damn good though.
I like this video as an example, its Sam Strano driving his old Z28 auto-x car (just bolt ons, simple bolt in suspension [koni/strano setup], no chassis bracing, full weight street car with sticky tires) - chasing down and passing a 911 GT3 driven by an instructor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxe1lHIxuE

Just a couple threads down you can see a video of the new owner driving the car :
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ar-action.html
The right mods go a long way...
Very good to know, thank you! What are some mods I can do to get close to that point or further down the road?

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
If you want a corvette, get a corvette.

Chances are, you will be back in an fbody at some point in your life.
You are making me think considering I had a 11 sec 94Z28 6 speed before the 04 Goat, and ended up back in my 01 Z28 now. But the GTO was about 700lbs more than a Vette.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
What's your driving application here? Just on a highway? If thats the case then just whoever has the most power and ability to avoid cops.

If you end up doing a real race, road race, autox, then you will get smoked your first time out there by lots of older guys with more experience. Real racing requires experience and seat time.
I am going for something that I can take to the track, decent 60 times. But yes I want to be able to take it to an autox course as well, Nothing spectacular but a setup that could satisfy both in means.

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
OK, I'll bite...why would you need to be chasing people at 100 mph on the highway? Being 25 and having 400 or 500 hp, it won't matter what you're driving because you'll wrap it around a pole or a tree eventually.
Its more so very late at night when no one is on the road, for which I havent done anything like this in years but just saying I would like to have my Z28 handle like my GTO did. Or Vette (IRS Car)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Your car is almost 12 years old now so things start to wear out with age. A C6 vette is still fairly new considering the age so it shouldn't require as much maintenance at first.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't feel like the rear is planted at speed, I don't
think that has to do with solid vs rear axle. Unless you're
on cobblestones where unsprung mass really matters.

Now if your tire is out-of-round to the point that it's
kicking that unsprung mass every revolution, that would
make the solid axle act funny. But smooth pavement,
good wheels, there's nothing to make the axle come up
(pertaining to suspension).

Rear tire pressure seems to have a lot to do with squirm
in my experience. Especially if you go up in sidewall height.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

If you want to do some driving events, mods aren't what you should be worried about at this point. Autox, just go and race. Give it a try. Road racing, get it safety prepped. Lots of driving events you end up getting bumped up in classification if you add mods and most of the time that makes it harder to compete.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your car is almost 12 years old now so things start to wear out with age. A C6 vette is still fairly new considering the age so it shouldn't require as much maintenance at first.
Is it worth trading in the maintenance issues for the newer Vette?

I see you have a 2001 as well. Have you done any maintenance upkeep on your car? or know from other peoples F-Bods with similar age?

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
If you don't feel like the rear is planted at speed, I don't
think that has to do with solid vs rear axle. Unless you're
on cobblestones where unsprung mass really matters.

Now if your tire is out-of-round to the point that it's
kicking that unsprung mass every revolution, that would
make the solid axle act funny. But smooth pavement,
good wheels, there's nothing to make the axle come up
(pertaining to suspension).

Rear tire pressure seems to have a lot to do with squirm
in my experience. Especially if you go up in sidewall height.
Tires are in good shape, good tires too. Its mainly when I hit dips/bumps in the road over 80mph, especially if Im slightly turning

Originally Posted by z28bryan
If you want to do some driving events, mods aren't what you should be worried about at this point. Autox, just go and race. Give it a try. Road racing, get it safety prepped. Lots of driving events you end up getting bumped up in classification if you add mods and most of the time that makes it harder to compete.
Ive got to look up tracks in the Chicago land area
Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

I don't drive the car alot. But recently I had brakes bleed and tranny flushed and clutch fluid flushed. The rear was last serviced by the dealership like 6 years ago and has nvr been touched since. I only drive about 1000 miles/yr. I have replaced most of the suspension and the entire motor has been gone through when I did heads/cam 3 years ago. I change the oil once a year or sooner if I drive alot that year.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Trunion King

HPDE, you don't have to drive your car to compete however you get classified by your driving skills instead of how fast is your car at the track.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

On the maintenance thing I feel ya, that was one of the reason I sold my 00 Z when it was at 130k. I was afraid it was gonna just start falling apart. So I went thru two what I considered nicer cars, GTO, TBSS, and then looked at vettes. Ended up back in an 01 B4C camaro with 170k miles on stock suspension haha.

Feels fine to me, lil raw, lil unrefined and thats what I missed. Itll never be a vette but I dont want it to be either. I dont care too much for handling though. I might buy another gto when they get real cheap for a DD though, that car was kind of fun to throw around which might have been because of IRS.

Planning on replacing shocks/struts, LCAs, PHB, all other bushings, ball joints tie rod ends etc. No signs of any of this being bad car still feels pretty tight, but I seems like a good idea.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't drive the car alot. But recently I had brakes bleed and tranny flushed and clutch fluid flushed. The rear was last serviced by the dealership like 6 years ago and has nvr been touched since. I only drive about 1000 miles/yr. I have replaced most of the suspension and the entire motor has been gone through when I did heads/cam 3 years ago. I change the oil once a year or sooner if I drive alot that year.
I did all that all ready, with the exception of changing the diff oil.

I just feel like my suspension is going (bushings)

Originally Posted by bene
HPDE, you don't have to drive your car to compete however you get classified by your driving skills instead of how fast is your car at the track.
That is super cool I need to give this a go soon.

Originally Posted by jrob56
On the maintenance thing I feel ya, that was one of the reason I sold my 00 Z when it was at 130k. I was afraid it was gonna just start falling apart. So I went thru two what I considered nicer cars, GTO, TBSS, and then looked at vettes. Ended up back in an 01 B4C camaro with 170k miles on stock suspension haha.

Feels fine to me, lil raw, lil unrefined and thats what I missed. Itll never be a vette but I dont want it to be either. I dont care too much for handling though. I might buy another gto when they get real cheap for a DD though, that car was kind of fun to throw around which might have been because of IRS.

Planning on replacing shocks/struts, LCAs, PHB, all other bushings, ball joints tie rod ends etc. No signs of any of this being bad car still feels pretty tight, but I seems like a good idea.
I guess I will sit on the Z28 and re-address this concern 6 months from now as far as not selling it yet.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Having a Fbody with "most" suspension mods, I trackday/HPDE my car a good bit on Nitto NT 05 tires.
Car has

Strano Springs
1Le Swaybars
Koni Shocks
UMI frame connectors
UMI Roto joints in the rear
Lower control are relocation brackets
C6 front brakes

Car turns pretty good but rides like a TANK.

I recently got a 2002 Vette(its for sale btw) car is stock with a six speed.
I put my NT05 track tires on the Vette and tore up some on/off ramps near my house.

The Vette STOCK has as much or more grip than my Camaro, and rides 100 times better. Very easy to go fast in the Vette, car balance is light years ahead of the Camaro.

Vette is MUCH easier to drive fast than the Camaro is.

Mod for mod the Vette will be quicker around a road course with a good driver.

In other words, a cars potential is only reached with a good driver in the seat.

You put Mike Skeen in my Camaro and then in my Vette, same tires I bet he is quicker in the Vette.

Quick Reply: C6 vs F-Bod (Handling) ??