Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

strange sa front shocks and 300# springs question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange sa front shocks and 300# springs question

so i have the springs compressed and on the shocks about to put the mount and insulator etc back on the top. now my question is where should the adjuster rings on the shock be at? mine are all the way at the bottom now but i rather adjust it all now to where a good setting is so i dont have to do it on the car too much. where do you guys usually set your rings at on the shocks?(of course no directions came with them)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

For a full weight car it will probably be more than halfway up the shock. If you haven't already done so, do yourself a favor and buy the Torrington bearings for the adjusters. You'll be dicking with it a lot trying to get the stance perfect and it sure does make it less of a pain in the *** with the bearings.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMRACER13
For a full weight car it will probably be more than halfway up the shock. If you haven't already done so, do yourself a favor and buy the Torrington bearings for the adjusters. You'll be dicking with it a lot trying to get the stance perfect and it sure does make it less of a pain in the *** with the bearings.
what are the torringon bearings?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i bought a set for my QA1's...best thing i did. These bearings go between the adjuster nut and the spring and allow the nut to spin easier.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

well i already got the car all back together wish i had known that before i installed everything...oh well. i put the adjusters about halfway on the shock. where do most of you guys have yours set?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mikh338
what are the torringon bearings?

The Torrington bearings are highlighted in white.

These are a staple when installing coil overs .... it would be a bear to adjust the ride height without them which is one of the primary reasons for going with a coil over in the first place.

The ride height will depend on many factors and it should be adjusted specifically to how your car leaves the line ... wheels up, wheels down, rear suspension unloading, loading too hard, power, torque, M6 or A4, etc., etc. It is trial and error. This is assuming the car is used for straight line performance and not corner carving ... if not for straight line performance, you purchased the wrong shocks.

Basically, buy a pair of Torrington bearings and reinstall your coil overs.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a set of Torrington bearings installed on the rear coil overs.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

brian, yes its for straight line...i will see how hard it is to adjust i think i have it close but i have not got the wheels back on and sitting at ride height yet. in the middle of my abs delete which is a real sob pretty frustrated about having to cut my stock lines and put new fittings on and reflare those as well and the lines that came with the kit. a lot of work to get this kit to work.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

brian, yes its for straight line...i will see how hard it is to adjust i think i have it close but i have not got the wheels back on and sitting at ride height yet. in the middle of my abs delete which is a real sob pretty frustrated about having to cut my stock lines and put new fittings on and reflare those as well and the lines that came with the kit. a lot of work to get this kit to work.
I left my ABS block in and went with a SJM LL, but, I don't have ABS since I have no reluctor ring with the spooled rear. That way I didn't have to cut my lines so I could go back to stock with a future de-mod if necessary.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

im seriously about to put the block back in and just disconnect abs fuses if that would work lol
Old 08-11-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

an update. got the abs delete all finsihed and had to adjust the front shocks already. i had the adjuster rings about half way up and when i first got the wheels back on and on the ground the tires were literally tucking lol. so i adjusted it up an inch and its still way to low. i will have to go up another inch or so. adjusting without those bearings isnt the easiest but if you spray some dry lube on its much easier and not that bad. brian what is your distance from ground to bottom of fender opening? i like your stance a lot.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

an update. got the abs delete all finsihed and had to adjust the front shocks already. i had the adjuster rings about half way up and when i first got the wheels back on and on the ground the tires were literally tucking lol. so i adjusted it up an inch and its still way to low. i will have to go up another inch or so. adjusting without those bearings isnt the easiest but if you spray some dry lube on its much easier and not that bad. brian what is your distance from ground to bottom of fender opening? i like your stance a lot.
Thanks ... the fronts in my latest photos (one is below) are on the stock DeCarbon's and measure 27.25" to the top of the wheel arch on 26" Sportsman bias ply's. The rears are on Strange DA coil overs and are also 27" to the fender arch on the 27" QTP's.

My fronts are currently torn apart installing my Strange DA fronts, but I plan to run them at 26" to the wheel arch if they don't rub. I also removed the sway bar to allow the shocks to do their job independently. Hopefully, at 26", the fronts will not get into the wheel well ... I plan to run them at full comp/full loose rebound as a start. With DA's in the front and back, I can get serious with the adjustments.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Good lookin' whip!
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

alright brian thanks for the info. i got 28.5" to my rear fenders and about 26.5' on my fronts. love the way it looks in the front but the rear could be a little lower but i am very happy i got rid of my lowering springs. i am on a 26" drag radial with the s60. stock springs with hh mod out back and strange sa up front with 300lb springs. it was impossible to raise the car without having my spring compressor on the fronts while adjusting.

Quick Reply: strange sa front shocks and 300# springs question