Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best "Budget" Shock for Drag and Street

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best "Budget" Shock for Drag and Street

Ok. So I'm probably different than most people on this:

I don't care anything about lowering my car.
I don't care about road course style handling.

I DO care about the vehicle riding smoothly.
I DO go to the dragstrip a few times a year.

What would be a good "Budget" Shock....(I know Koni and QA1 double adjustable would be best, but is there anything cheaper?)
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk

What would be a good "Budget" Shock....(I know Koni and QA1 double adjustable would be best, but is there anything cheaper?)
You need to search a little first.
Koni SAs/DAs are a handling shock (although Koni does make a drag specific shock, just not a bolt in for our cars). These are ideal for ride/handling but not launching.
The QA1s are a non-gas charged drag shock, these are ideal for launching but not ride/handling.
The two are polar opposites.

If you care about ride quality you generally want to stay away from drag-specific suspension. And since you drive on the street I would personally suggest getting a ride-friendly shock (that may not launch the best) and use sticky tires for traction. Bilstiens would probably be the best bet IMO.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try competition engeneering .
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Like everyone else said the problem you are going to have with a drag shock is that they are not going to ride all that smooth on the street. My go to budget setup is Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks on the rear and Strange single adjustable on the front. With this setup I have cut low 1.3X 60ft times. The thing is that this setup nor will any drag setup ride real nice on the street. I think you can get to the point that it is tolerable but if you want a good performing track setup you are going to have to give up some ride quality.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

You guys are probably looking at much better 60's than I'd ever hit. I'm currently running 2.0's ha ha. If I could get it down to 1.8's I'd probably be happy.
Maybe I could keep a stock type rear shock and single adjustable on front?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Pretty simple. Bilstien SLP's
Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

You guys are probably looking at much better 60's than I'd ever hit. I'm currently running 2.0's ha ha. If I could get it down to 1.8's I'd probably be happy.
What tires are you running? It looks like you have a bolt on car, I dont think you need to do suspension to cut a 1.8? Think some good tires will do that for you on stock suspension, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're only looking to cut at 1.80, then Bilsteins will be your friend. They will ride really well on the street, improve handling, and operate well at the strip. For drag use, they won't make your car any faster, but they won't negatively impact your launching like a Tokico, KYB, or Koni might. That 60ft should be doable with most shocks, actually. But if your main priority is to improve the ride of your car, go with the Bilstein setup. At $410 for a full set, there is hardly anything else I would suggest.

- Kevin

P.S. Steer clear of drag shocks if you're concerned with ride comfort.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$100 in Comp 3-ways on the back. You dont need a front shock IMO
Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those suggesting the Bistein, do you mean the SLP spec'd version:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...shock-package/

Would I be fine on my stock springs?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Those suggesting the Bistein, do you mean the SLP spec'd version:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...shock-package/

Would I be fine on my stock springs?
Absolutely!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

if you have no interest in road course style handling, why the hell would you waste the $$$ putting a bilstein on the car?

This guy does not need to waste $400 on something that at best wont make a difference in his car "where it matters to him" and at worst will hurt his occasional drag strip run. Add to it, that's a non-adjustable shock...wow.

A Comp 3-way set at medium is going to be no worse ride quality in the rear than a bilstein, and will kick it's *** at the track. all while saving $$$....

Again, you dont need to replace the stock front shock to get the performance you are currently looking for. An unhooked sway bear the night before you go to the track will do just as much for you and it's free at your power level.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Troy5061
I cut 1.6xs all day with Bilsteins.
Does that mean they worked better than a comp or stock shocks for that matter?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cut 1.6xs all day with regular (non SLP) Bilsteins.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Does that mean they worked better than a comp or stock shocks for that matter?
Did I say anything about Comps??? NO, I dont have any experience with them. My stock shocks were 140k blown pieces of **** so I replaced them with the Bilsteins as I drive mine on the street all the time. I didnt say anything about them working better than anything just that they are a good stock replacement and they work at the track better than he is asking for.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Troy5061
Did I say anything about Comps??? NO, I dont have any experience with them. My stock shocks were 140k blown pieces of **** so I replaced them with the Bilsteins as I drive mine on the street all the time. I didnt say anything about them working better than anything just that they are a good stock replacement and they work at the track better than he is asking for.

I guess my point is, what do they do better than a comp in the back...and they are non-adjustable. Why did you buy the bilstein's over a comp or other shock for that matter? What makes the Comp 3-way so "unstreet-able"??

Don't get defensive. I'm not arguing. I was trying to discuss tech...this is ls1TECH afterall.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you have no interest in road course style handling, why the hell would you waste the $$$ putting a bilstein on the car?

This guy does not need to waste $400 on something that at best wont make a difference in his car "where it matters to him" and at worst will hurt his occasional drag strip run. Add to it, that's a non-adjustable shock...wow.

A Comp 3-way set at medium is going to be no worse ride quality in the rear than a bilstein, and will kick it's *** at the track. all while saving $$$....

Again, you dont need to replace the stock front shock to get the performance you are currently looking for. An unhooked sway bear the night before you go to the track will do just as much for you and it's free at your power level.
Did you miss the part where he said he wants a "smooth ride"?
Factory decarbon shocks do not ride smooth at all IMO (more like loose, floaty and jarring at the same time). So that cancels them out.
Bilstiens will ride more smoothly, and be significantly more stable than the stock decarbons.
As for the comp's, are they even gas charged? Call me crazy but I don't think a purpose built really cheap drag shock (also labeled as "for drag use only") is going to ride as well as a purpose built gas charged sport shock made specifically for our cars. And if the adjustment works like other drag shocks do (like QA1s) it wont matter the setting, its still going to ride overly harsh while being loose at the same time (poor valving, non-gas charged).
Also only going to the dragstrip a couple times a year, so what is more important, a 0.1 second quicker 60ft (maybe if that) for 1% of the time you drive the car, or a better ride, stability and feel for 99% of the time you drive the car?

Even if I didn't like going around corners I would still buy a sport shock because they make these cars drive SO much better (WAY, WAY more stable and ride much more smooth and solid).
Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

I've had both(all four if you count the qa1 and decarbon) and can tell you with confidence the roughest ride I had was the bilstein's.

He is NOT concerned with handling.

If you seriously think a bilstein is going to be a potentially soft a ride as a 3-way comp, then I can't help you. Have you ever actually put your *** cheeks in a car with comp 3ways on the back? Also, What about the comp is any less "car specific" than the rear bilstein?!

You're probably right, as quoted directly from the op, a "budget minded shock for drag and street" is a BILSTEIN....wow. Think about what you're recommending.

You do know the comp 3-way can be setup 30/70, 40/60, and 50/50...essentially giving him the option to ride at smooth as stock ride comfort, but adjust as needed for the track and continuing performance of the car.

Not everyone needs to waste $400 on a set of overpriced bilstein's. You'd be amazed at the other options out there.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've had both(all four if you count the qa1 and decarbon) and can tell you with confidence the roughest ride I had was the bilstein's.
So nothing other than the shocks were changed between setups? No spring change? Wheel/tire change? Bushings? Control arms? Swaybars?
It was totally an apples to apples comparison?
Ive never been on comp's, but if they are anything like QA1s they might as well be a paper weight.

He is NOT concerned with handling.
Thanks, its been mention numerous times now, surely none of us noticed that.

If you seriously think a bilstein is going to be a potentially soft a ride as a 3-way comp, then I can't help you. Have you ever actually put your *** cheeks in a car with comp 3ways on the back?
See as I figured you are confusing "soft ride" with "good ride". Its personal preference but IMO an overly soft, bouncy and loose ride is far from good. I prefer a taut, firm yet not jarring ride very much like a typical modern German sports sedan.

Also, What about the comp is any less "car specific" than the rear bilstein?!
Bilstiens were a factory option and had some real road testing done, the comps are just some cheap drag shocks made to fit our cars.
You're probably right, as quoted directly from the op, a "budget minded shock for drag and street" is a BILSTEIN....wow. Think about what you're recommending.
You seem to keep ignoring the underlined part. His cars sees the track "a few times a year". Why would he want a drag shock for a car that sees the street way more often?

You do know the comp 3-way can be setup 30/70, 40/60, and 50/50...essentially giving him the option to ride at smooth as stock ride comfort, but adjust as needed for the track and continuing performance of the car.
*stock is not smooth

Not everyone needs to waste $400 on a set of overpriced bilstein's. You'd be amazed at the other options out there.
Sounds like you could take some of your own advice...
Good shocks can make or break a setup, and make the biggest difference in the world.
Let me tell you, if I had the choice to have my car with all the suspension mods I have (springs, swaybars, wattslink, LCAs, TQ arm, SFCs) with stock shocks or my car on just koni SA with otherwise stock suspension, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to opt for the Koni/stock suspension, the other stuff makes a miniscule difference in comparison, you have no idea.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You seem to keep ignoring the underlined part. His cars sees the track "a few times a year". Why would he want a drag shock for a car that sees the street way more often?

Sounds like you could take some of your own advice...
Boom

I had been considering a drag shock set-up. However, I am starting to lean towards keeping a normal shock so I will still enjoy driving my car. Any shock is going to be better than stock at the strip as long as your using a good tire and have a decent suspension set-up. So... considering all that and not wanting to dump the money for a set of Koni's guess what I will be getting...

wait for it

wait

wait

SLP Blistens

Quick Reply: Best "Budget" Shock for Drag and Street