Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Having problems with front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Having problems with front brakes

For the two past months i had a feeling that my brakes are holding my car back a little bit. Anyways i decided to check it this weekend and i found out that the calipers are not letting go all the way and make the pads touch the rotor a little bit. Of course that messed up my rotor and pads. I was thinking what could be the problem? Could it be the two calipers? or maybe something else? I already bought a new set of brembo rotors, HP hawk plus pads and stock calipers, but i didnt install them yet because i was thinking to go with the bear two piston front brake kit. What do u think guys?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BAER 2 piston caliper is no better than a C5 caliper ... maybe even your stock LS1 caliper. Not a good choice.

I would suspect your guide pins are binding due to rust or debris. They are held in place by nothing more than a rubber boot, once the caliper is removed. Just pull them out. If they are stuck, you might have to get rough with them.

If they were stuck, once you get them out, make sure the abutment bracket is clean and unscathed. Buy new guide pins (GM PN 12530697), lube them up and reinstall. inspect the rubber boots as well, to make sure they aren't torn.

Last edited by mitchntx; 04-05-2004 at 05:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-05-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. The surprising thing is that i only have 13K on the car. I went to few track events and thats it. How good are the stock brake hoses in the front? Could they be plugged by dirt or debris? Is it a good idea to get stainless brake lines to avoide such a problem in the future? Also what kind of brake fluid is recommended to avoide such a problem?
Old 04-05-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You realize that the guide pins are in no way a part of brake ines, don't you?

If you generate a LOT of heat, then SS brake lines might be a nice upgrade. Otherwise, the stockers are very good.

The only way for a brake line to get plugged is if you have breeched your braking hydraulic system. It doesn't sound like you have.

Brake fluid is a personal preference. Availability plays a big role. It's not fun having a brake issue and brake fluid is nowhere to be found. I use Castrol SRF ... but many find it too expensive. While pricey at $70 a litre, I put it in and forget about it. Those who frequent track days spend a lot of time flushing old fluid out of the system. Motul 5.1, ATE, even the Ford truck HD fluid is good fluid. Check out your local motorcycle shop and see what they offer for their performance road bikes.