Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Parking brake dis-engaging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake dis-engaging?

I recently bought a 2002 camaro z28. This is my second one i've owned and they have both done this numerous times. I'll go to pull my parking break and its like it dis-engages and just shoots back and doesnt engage when i pull back on it. but all i have to do is let it back down and pull back up on it and it works fine. But if there is a cheap way to eliminate this problem i'd love to. Any pointers? or should i just not bother with it?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the locking tooth an your gear wheel is not engaging properly, make sure that the tooth engages the wheel every time. here is what i am talking about...

the red circle here shows the tooth that locks onto the gear wheel which engages when the handle is pulled up. this allows the cable to be pulled and the parking brake to engage.

the red circle shows the tooth engaging the wheel on the first click. the yellow circle shows the spring that activates this mechanism. be sure to check this spring as if it is worn out of missing, the handle will not engage properly giving you the free handle effect
Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds like someone before you changed the rear rotors and didn't adjust the parking break when they did that. If the brakes are too loose, the handle will come back too far and the handle will release.

This doesn't happen when you pull it back just a little, right?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

wssix99 Sounds like someone before you changed the rear rotors and didn't adjust the parking break when they did that. If the brakes are too loose, the handle will come back too far and the handle will release.

This doesn't happen when you pull it back just a little, right?
No it does not happen when I pull it a little. But it is also not something that happens all the time. It happens maybe once every 30 times I do it.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Save the manuals!

I'll bet adjusting the parking brakes will take care of it, then. Sounds like you are hitting the end of the ratchet mech.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Teching In

This is my first ls1 fbody and I have that problem too. I don't think my car has enough miles on it to where it should need adjusting. 48000 miles on a 99 Camaro. But when my car does it, it doesn't happen often and all I do is push it back down and pull it up and it works fine. Its almost like the cable slips off of something it goes around.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Amac1978
This is my first ls1 fbody and I have that problem too. I don't think my car has enough miles on it to where it should need adjusting. 48000 miles on a 99 Camaro. But when my car does it, it doesn't happen often and all I do is push it back down and pull it up and it works fine. Its almost like the cable slips off of something it goes around.
There are only three things that can cause this: (that I can think of)
- The rear rotors were changed and the brakes were not properly adjusted to them.
- The car got in an accident or something is broken.
- Someone got in the car and intentionally (or unintentionally) had the parking brake slightly engaged while the car was moving and burned the pad material down.

If you don't have stock brakes or a stock rear end, you probably fall in to the first category.

Quick Reply: Parking brake dis-engaging?