Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock lower control arms - 1998-2002

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Stock lower control arms - 1998-2002

I am trying to track down a banging noise in the rear end area. I have Strano lowering springs with Koni SA adjustable shocks on the rear - set at softest setting. I kept the stock rear spring isolaters. There are positioned correctly

The exhaust system is a Magnaflow catback. It is not hitting the frame or the panhard bar brace.

I removed the Sphon delrin spherical rod end adjustable panhard bar and reinstalled the stock panhard bar. Same noise.
I removed the UMI panhard bar relocation bracket and replaced it with the stock panhard bar brace. Same noise.
I removed the Spohn adjustable delrin/poly lower controls arms and replaced with my stock lower controls arms. Same noise.

However, there aren't any markings on the rear stock lower controls arms so you can identify the front and the rear of the arm. The front and rear appears to be almost identical. The bushings appear to be in good condition. I removed them about 2004 and boxed them. My Camaro Z28 is a 1998.

However when you look up the part numbers to replace the bushings in the stock lower controls arms - the part numbers are different. That being the case, I assume there is a front and a rear for each lower control arm. I would like to make sure they are installed correctly - front to front and rear to rear.

The antennae is secure. If it it loose it can cause a rattling from the passenger side. The frame is not hitting the bump stops. Air pressure is 25 lbs.

The spare and all hardware have been removed. Obviously there isn't anything in the rear hatch area is that loose causing the banging noise.

Any other ideas or suggestion is appreciated. It almost sounds as if the hatch is loose causing the banging. Is there an adjustment for it.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

It's probably the exhaust banging on the panhard bar brace... Happens all the time.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Sorry but as I said in my original post, its the same sound as before when I had the UMI panhard relocation brace installed or all of the other aftermarket components installed.

And I removed the aftermarket components and reinstalled the stock components one at a time rather than make 4 changes all at the same time and then not know which change fixed the problem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7623345499537/
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Who said it had anything to do with the UMI part? I certainly didn't. I'm just saying that's a common thing. Another one... exhaust tips hitting the rear bumper.

As you make the suspension stiffer it shakes things like the exhaust (mounted in rubber) more.

I'm just trying to help and giving you some idea's. clearly it's something moving and hitting something else. If it's exhaust giving it a good shake up and down will show you were it is. If it's not, I don't know what to tell you... that's just the most likely noise that sounds that "heavy".

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Stock lower control arms - 1998-2002