Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Removing Control Arm Bushings

Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Control Arm Bushings

Well guys my car is up and over 100k so I figure its time to go with some new bushings underneath to hopefully improve the ride quality. I dont want any squeaks or harsh ride so I'm looking at doing all moog replacement stuff up front ads well as in the rear lca's. My dilema is that they look to be sort of a pain in the *** to do.

All of the installs on here I find are about poly bushings, what is the best way to remove the rubber and sleeve from the arm? I was thinking about burning the rubber out then using a chisel to collapse the sleeve and hammer it out or using a ball joint press. I also have access to a 2 ton press but I think it would be hard to get the arm securley locked into it. any help is appreciated.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe GM makes a special tool for doing this.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did this to my car plus 4 new ball joints and outer tie rods, but I had a machine shop take care of the press work as ripping the suspension apart and putting it all back together for work on Monday was enough work for me, especially installing new springs, shocks, and antiroll bars. They charged about $10 per bushing/ball joint they pressed out-then-in. Just an option if you choose to let someone with better tools handle it.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01MAROONz2890
Well guys my car is up and over 100k so I figure its time to go with some new bushings underneath to hopefully improve the ride quality. I dont want any squeaks or harsh ride so I'm looking at doing all moog replacement stuff up front ads well as in the rear lca's. My dilema is that they look to be sort of a pain in the *** to do.

All of the installs on here I find are about poly bushings, what is the best way to remove the rubber and sleeve from the arm? I was thinking about burning the rubber out then using a chisel to collapse the sleeve and hammer it out or using a ball joint press. I also have access to a 2 ton press but I think it would be hard to get the arm securley locked into it. any help is appreciated.
If you don't have access to a press AND the right sized sleeves to surround the bushing while you're pressing it out, this idea might work out for you. One thing...you don't have to "burn out" the rubber, even though everybody and their brothers-in-law say so. Simply heat up the metal shell that surrounds the rubber, and this will soften up the adhesive that holds the rubber in place. Then the rubber can be pushed out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Control Arm Bushings