Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering Springs for my 2000 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Springs for my 2000 Camaro SS

Hi everyone,

I want to lower my 2000 camaro ss soon and was wondering what springs I should go with? I am leaning towards BMR or eibach springs. I still want the car to at least have a decent ride still. Which springs do you guys recommend? Post pics if you have some!

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

please do some research and use the search on this site. This has been answered and discussed a thousand times already. Read the stickies as well. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been doing a lot of research in this area myself (still have the stock springs as well) and have narrowed it down to BMR and Strano.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-tech-faq.html
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by camaross1200
Hi everyone,

I want to lower my 2000 camaro ss soon and was wondering what springs I should go with? I am leaning towards BMR or eibach springs. I still want the car to at least have a decent ride still. Which springs do you guys recommend? Post pics if you have some!

Thanks!
With our BMR lowering springs you can have that agressive lowered stance you are looking for without sacrificing too much ride quality or ground clearance. The Eibach springs have been known to sag over time and have a really bad ride quality so much so that many of our current BMR lowering spring customers were previously Eibach users.

Also our BMR lowering springs have a lifetime warranty against spring sag so you are covered for the life of the springs.

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I've been doing a lot of research in this area myself (still have the stock springs as well) and have narrowed it down to BMR and Strano.
If you decide you want to pick up a set of BMR lowering springs let me know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
With our BMR lowering springs you can have that agressive lowered stance you are looking for without sacrificing too much ride quality or ground clearance. The Eibach springs have been known to sag over time and have a really bad ride quality so much so that many of our current BMR lowering spring customers were previously Eibach users.

Also our BMR lowering springs have a lifetime warranty against spring sag so you are covered for the life of the springs.

If you decide you want to pick up a set of BMR lowering springs let me know.
Is red the only color springs you guys offer? My car is black and I want some black springs. I like your products as I have BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets on my car and they work great!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BMR for sure! Great quality springs and shocks!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
i have BMR springs with Bilstein shocks, great package. the Stranos you really need to go with Koni's cause they will wear out the Bilsteins alot faster. not saying stranos are bad, they just require better shocks to get the full benifit of them. here is my lowerd T/A

uhhhh...no.

BMR's drop the front a hair further with the same 550# rate, and are stiffer in the rear. The differences are tiny, but if anything it's the exact opposite of what you said. The shorter distance that the shock has to do the work and the stiffer rate will require more shock. I think the main difference is Strano isn't going to tell you bilsteins are amazing for springs that stiff (I've tried bilsteins with similar springs, and after a few years they get tired), but it is a decent budget setup.

BMR or Strano with a bilstein is a fine budget setup, but Koni's are ideal for either setup.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Sam Strano stated himself that the Bilsteins will not last more then 25k-30k miles with his springs, so take it how you want it. i stand by what i said. BMR recommends the Bilstiens with their springs, Sam Strano recommends Koni's.

Straight from BMR's site
Front spring rates - 550 lbs/in linear

Rear spring rates - 160 lbs/in dual rate

Lowers vehicle 1.25"
From Strano's site
-Front spring rate: 550 lbs/in.
-Rear spring rate: 100 lbs/in. take up (non functional while driving), 150 lbs/in. working rate.
So how is a shock on a nearly identical spring going to wear any differently? It's not. What BMR usually says is something along the lines of "We have tons of customers running that setup and they are extremely happy with it," which is true. Many people run it, it's a decent setup. What Sam says is that bilsteins are "workable" but not ideal, because that is also true, bilsteins will feel great at first but I tried some 500-600ish springs on them and after two years they started getting weak. Koni's are able to handle the rate better. I don't care who people give their business to, I just hope that they don't do it under the influence of blatant misinformation.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are you guys saying the BMR's are a tad lower in the front and/or are a tad higher in the rear than the Stranos? Am I understanding that right?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

BMR's are rated at 1.25, Strano's 1.2

the BMR's seem to look a little lower up front though in my experience
Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
BMR's are rated at 1.25, Strano's 1.2

the BMR's seem to look a little lower up front though in my experience
Gotcha! Thanks for that feedback! If that seems to be the general consensus here then the BMR/Bilstein combo sounds a bit more to my liking and budget
Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 PM

Your t/a looks great lowered!! Are your BMR springs red? If so can you really notice that they are red when you're looking at the car in person? I am jw because I wanted to go with a black spring just so it isn't noticeable but seen that bmr springs only come in red now. Also, do you have any clearance issues with you long tube headers after you lowered your car?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
Straight from BMR's site

From Strano's site

So how is a shock on a nearly identical spring going to wear any differently? It's not. What BMR usually says is something along the lines of "We have tons of customers running that setup and they are extremely happy with it," which is true. Many people run it, it's a decent setup. What Sam says is that bilsteins are "workable" but not ideal, because that is also true, bilsteins will feel great at first but I tried some 500-600ish springs on them and after two years they started getting weak. Koni's are able to handle the rate better. I don't care who people give their business to, I just hope that they don't do it under the influence of blatant misinformation.
I agree ^^^. Thank you for clearing the air.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

BTW my stranos lowered the front 1.3 inches and the rear 1.4 inches. I have a system in the back so I have more weight. I currently have about 1,000 miles on the setup with the stock isolator in the rear and front konis on upper perch.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

i have BMR springs with Bilstein shocks, great package. the Stranos you really need to go with Koni's cause they will wear out the Bilsteins alot faster. not saying stranos are bad, they just require better shocks to get the full benifit of them. here is my lowerd T/A
Well, this goes to show two things......

1. You cannot believe what you read on the internet.

2. I'm often an idiot for trying to pass along details to those not willing to understand it.

This is laughable, and sad, all at once. MY springs, are 550/150, BMR claims theirs are 550/160. That's about 7% stiffer in the rear, not softer. So how exactly are my springs going to wear shocks out faster that their's? And since theirs changed to be a lot more like mine, it's even more funny to me. Needless to say, this is NOT true.

Are Koni's the bigger, badder shock? Yes. Do I recommend them to anyone looking for the utmost control? Yes. But the Bilstein's can do a decent job, and I sell LOTS of kits with my springs and SLP Bilstein's.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Sam Strano stated himself that the Bilsteins will not last more then 25k-30k miles with his springs, so take it how you want it. i stand by what i said. BMR recommends the Bilstiens with their springs, Sam Strano recommends Koni's.
It's easy to recommend the cheaper option.... it's easier to sell the cheaper option. And I never said the Bilstein's would be toast with 25 or 30k miles on them. I just said they always have less damping and around that time you will start to see the real difference for the long term.

I do recommend Koni because I believe they are the better damper. That's what I get for being straight up honest. I having to think I should just sell whatever parts folks want, and tell them what they want to hear. but it sure seems more and more folks only hear what they want to hear.

Man, is this frustrating.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

lol! after my first post he comes back in saying "I stand by what I said" and now he goes and deletes all of his posts...
Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

i was wondering the same thing. what happened to all those orginal posts he made. oh well shouldn't make false claims if you don't know what your talking about.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by camaross1200
Is red the only color springs you guys offer? My car is black and I want some black springs. I like your products as I have BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets on my car and they work great!
Our BMR lowering springs only come powdercoated red but the springs are tucked so far in/under the car that you can't really see them from the outside of the car unless you are trying to and specifically get under the car and looking around.

Keep an eye out for our announcement fo our Thanksgiving Day/Black Friday Sale!

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
BMR for sure! Great quality springs and shocks!
We appreciate the good words!

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs for my 2000 Camaro SS