Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

captive nut spinning on coil over mount...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default captive nut spinning on coil over mount...

Took my front end apart to do a little painting/clean up. As title states, I have one captive nut on my passenger side coil over mount that is just spinning away. Its the one closest to the motor if that makes sense. The other three are tight. I can't get anything on the nut to hold it in place so I can tighten it down and really don't want to take it back out again fearing the other captive nut will just spin now being on/off the car two times now. Not into paying 75+ bucks for a new mount either. What are my options. Could I drill out the bolt and the threaded part of the captive nut and just slide a 10mm bolt throw the bottom with a nut and maybe a lock washer on top? Thanks in advance. And yes these are Moog aftermarket coil over mounts. (Buy OEM!!!)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

its just a press in stud just like on your hubs. you need to get a pry bar on the bottom side of that stud and put some pressure on it to get the splines seated in the hole. once you get the stud up in there you should be ok
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Its not the stud that's spinning. Its Captive? Nut on the other side of the mount. The side where you put the bolt onto the nut that it attached to the mount. Sorry I cant explain it better. I'll take a pic when I get out of Work.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Bump....haven't messed with it. No pics but I'm sure someone has went through the same problem. I'm leaning towards drilling the bolt out and the threaded part of the captive nut and slamming a bolt through the bottom up and using a lock washer and some red lock tight....
Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

No input? I've searched with no luck....

Quick Reply: captive nut spinning on coil over mount...