Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sub frame connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sub frame connectors?

I'm pretty sure I heard that all the convertible F-bodys came with subframe connectors. My car has the T-tops, does it come with them stock as well?

I've never quite understood, what exactly do sub frame connectors do for a car? How do they help? Are they worth it?

I hear a lot of people complain about the extra weight of these things, how much do they actually weigh? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well here is this link that will make you understand alot better the purpose of subframe connectors.

http://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/...ame+Connectors

As far as I know the T-Top vehicles do not come with factory SFCs. In my opinion they are worth every penny! Im sure everyone in here can tell you that and will tell you that.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Spohn weld in subframe connectors (well I paid a muffler shop $50 to put them in). They are HEAVY! But very impressive quality and fit! They come in black and red, I ordered black since I wasn't sure if it would show from side view of car since they do kinda fit right under the door area. It doesn't show, should have chosen red since all other suspension upgrades I'm doing are red.

anyway, I'm not sure if it made a difference, seriously felt no different and an annoying rattle in my driver's ttop remains - I thought it would at least shore that up.

there are so many mods to do first, put the subframe connectors on the list for last - seriously! I no way regret doing it in the grand scheme, but if you are the type of person to do a mod or two a year, do this one last.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do buy them, get the 'weld in'! I've heard from suspension gurus that the bolt ins are a total waste of money.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

First thing I did when I got my car (it had 75k on it when I got it) was have SFC's welded in
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm glad everyone supports them, but exactly what do they do for our car? What kind of differences will you notice?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHope
I'm pretty sure I heard that all the convertible F-bodys came with subframe connectors. My car has the T-tops, does it come with them stock as well?
4th gen's frames are much stiffer than the previous gens. They do have "subframe connectors" but not in the same sense most would think. Their front subframe is directly connected, unlike older unibody cars that would have a bushing between the subframes.

I've never quite understood, what exactly do sub frame connectors do for a car? How do they help? Are they worth it?

I hear a lot of people complain about the extra weight of these things, how much do they actually weigh? Thanks!
You can definitely search for this.
They're supposed to simply stiffen the chassis by adding extra bracing to it. Weight is around 50lbs if I remember right.
As far as if they are worth it, that depends. Do they stiffen the chassis? Probably. Can you notice? Unlikely.
If what you are looking for is a better riding, more solid, less rattles type of thing then you need good shocks, period.
I have bolt in 3pt SFC's that are welded in, and like many with good shocks, I didn't notice a difference because the real issue[the stock shocks] was fixed.
tons of info:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.ph...21709967&pp=25
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ors-worth.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...bout-sfcs.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...nows-best.html
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Well here is this link that will make you understand alot better the purpose of subframe connectors.

http://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/...ame+Connectors

As far as I know the T-Top vehicles do not come with factory SFCs. In my opinion they are worth every penny! Im sure everyone in here can tell you that and will tell you that.
This was a good little write up ^

So subframe connectors help keep the power on the ground and the body from flexing, and they keep the car more stable in fast turns.

Does it make the ride more rigid? Does it make the car more stable and not so loose and bouncing over bumps? Does anyone know exactly how much subframe connectors weigh? People complain about the weight, if it's 50 lbs or so, I can see why.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Launching!

buy a set and try them out. they wont break the bank. IMHO this should have come from the factory. the pros outweigh any con's x10. if you actually drive your car, you'll enjoy them. I do.

Quick Reply: Sub frame connectors?