Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Grinding Noise When Cold braking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Noise When Cold braking?

Fellas,
Been working to diagnose a grinding rubbing noise. When I first get in my car and brake the first few times I get a grinding noise and vibration in the pedals and front of floor. As the car warms, it dissipates unless I brake hard and induce it. As the car continues to warm, it becomes harder and harder to make it happen. Occasionally, the grinding noise occurs when turning, but that disappears completely when warm. It has only occured once on acceleration.

Here is what I have done so far. The car is lowered. It has the upper shock mount mod. Is aligned. Never had issues with this after I lowered it for a year. I have lubed all the suspension. I have replaced the brakes with LS1 calipers, spindles, rotors, and ceramic pads.(problem existed before swap and is no better), no binding exists on brakes at all. I have checked the bearings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. All look good with minimal to no play.(play is acceptable)

My latest thought is motor mounts...with the car being a 94 maybe it has the original ones in. The car only has 106k on it, and i baby it. No hard launches... The fella I bought it from handed me the receipts and had one for a PST poly front end kit, but I am not sure if that includes the motor mounts. I will check. I did get under the hood and rev the engine. It does have play in the drivers mount. And around 3k as I let off the accelerator it has an odd vibe in the motor bay. One that I do not notice in the cabin, but can be heard in the engine bay. I do cant imagine this being in the trans since she feels smooth other than the rocks in a can noise from the clutch.

Please weight in on what else I might look at. Help me out fellas
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody experience anything like this and track it down?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Brake shims. If brake pins and shims arent coated...and I mean properly...they will gring crunch etc. i work at a dealer so I see this all the time. Some hi temp grease. We use the black stuff and white lithium. Coat the pins completly but lightly. same for the shims. Just try it at least. sounds to me like brakes though.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Tafever90, thought that too. They are all slippery with grease and clean from rust. I did get under the car to look at the motor mounts. Check out the image.
Attached Thumbnails Grinding Noise When Cold braking?-img_20130403_184012_379.jpg   Grinding Noise When Cold braking?-img_20130403_184052_811.jpg   Grinding Noise When Cold braking?-img_20130403_184047_902.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Time to replace those mounts

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise When Cold braking?