Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help, replacing rotors not calipers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, replacing rotors not calipers.

Like everyone knows the rotors on these fbodys su ck. Ive been puting up with mine being warped for a while now but im sick of it. Do you have to replace the calipers when youreplace the rotors? I want new rotors, better ones of course, but I dont want to have to replace the calipers too.

If so what rotors would hold up better then the stock ones? I dont want to spend a ton of money, just want better rotors, ones that wont warp like the stock ones.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For a performance application:
Brembo replacements (Not slotted, X-drilled or in any other way whored up).
You want stock replacement rotors.
Aimco sold through Autozone or Advance Auto (I can't remember which one, they both begin with "A") have been used by members of the board with good success. (again, not slotted or X-drilled)

Now if you want to have "pretty" rotors then iRotors or Brembo drilled or slotted.

This question would be better handled in the Handling and Braking section though.

Tony
Old 04-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use powerstop vented rotors..look nice and work great
Old 04-22-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced mine last night with a drilled & slotted rotor from a place in CA (front and rear)... I have yet to do any heavy braking, so I am not going to support them yet, but I will let you know what I think in a few days. They were cheaper than GM rotors so I am a little leary.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Now these are just the rotors correct? these will all work with the stock rotors?

If this is the case, I'd be willing to spend a little extra to get the "pretty" ones. Holes or slotted. Anything thats not too expensive, and I wont have to wory about turning them the first time I do any heavy braking.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

I replaced my stock rotors with cross drilled and slotted zinc platted rotors from irotors who is a sponsor. Had them 8 months now and absolutely no warping. They still feel brand new.

Mike
Old 04-22-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I replaced my rotors last week, I did like you and just put up with the warped rotors for months. I went to AutoZone and got a set for like $30 a rotor, From what I hear they hold up better than the stockers and I have done some hard braking and they are still fine. I say that if you dont want to spend much I say just go the route I did. I cant say about the long term on these rotors right now but I think they will be better than the stock.

And to answer your other ? no you dont have to change calapers when replacing rotors. I did paint mine while I was working and I like the results
Old 04-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Launching!

I replaced my rotors recently with WholeSale Directs stuff, they work great. I did use Hawk pads to. You can replace just your rotors, you don't have to replace your pads to. Although if you are running stock pads, Hawk would be a world of difference for you. I have stopped hard with these and so far they are taking the abuse. They are pretty with the Zinc coating and they are drilled and slotted. I beleive in slotted and drilled, I have had good luck with them. Right now, WholeSale Direct is getting my business in brakes. They were $289.00 shipped for Zinc plating, crossdrilled and slotted.
I have pics in my post on the install in this section. I painted the calipers silver to add a bit in the looks department.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Ive had the iRotors for a while and they are still holding up nicely. They are one of the cheapest priced of the drilled rotors out there.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Launching!

I have had PowerStop rotors on my 2000 Formula for several months, front only. They work great. PowerSlot makes some too, and most parts stores offer aftermarket rotors, that are vented and much better quality material, or alloys. There is a great GP going on right now, here in the GP section for a set of 4 rotors for $289. That is a great deal for quality rotors, and I have checked these out. I ordered a set for later when my 2002 Firehawk needs them.

I haven't had any warping what so ever on my 2002 Firehawk, it has 12K miles now. However, my 2000 Formula did start to "pulse" at 10K miles. As far as I know they are the same. Now, my son is driving my 2000 Formula (only while he is going to college) and he has went through a set of rotors quickly, so I replaced them with the PowerStops. They have done great. You have to make sure you follow the procedures for "setting breakes, or new pads". This is a series of good full stops, (not all at once--due to heat) and even work up to a couple of stops from 60 or 70 to a stop.

No, you don't have to replace the calipers, provided the rotors are not oversized. There are several aftermarket, serious brakes, like the Brembo and Wilwood competition rotors, that are extremely large. Most are 11" or 11 1/2" rotors, but I have even seen 12" rotors! And, they also very in width too. That's massive, and would require new calipers obviously. There are a lot of options when it comes to brakes, make sure you check them out closely and get what you think you need, and your driving style demands. Don't pinch pennies when it comes to brakes!
JC
Old 04-24-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i Rotors here..... replace the pads with a low dusting pad at the same time.....

Quick Reply: Help, replacing rotors not calipers.