Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

problem with front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with front brakes

I keep warping the stock rotors on my camaro and my brake pads are worn out, I dont have the money to to a complete system upgrade and I really dont need something too high performance since I dont do any kind of road racing. My question are a set of affordable rotors and pads that are not going to warp on me and give me problems. I see all kinds of ads for cross drilled and slotted rotors but I dont know the difference. Please and help is appreciated.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look the front rotors and pads are just fine for street use. Improper wheel torque procedure is the main reason rotors warp. I've been autoxing stock (original) rotors for 3 seasons and never had them warp. I've fully worn out a set of carbotech break pads and didn't warp them orginal rotors at all. Now I am on my second set of carbotech pads and rotors.

I don't do cross drilled or slotted as there is no need for any of that other than the cool look factor. Cross Drilled causes the rotors to crack prematurely and slotted can cause them to warp do to the uneven cooling because of the change of material thickness at the slotted area. These features used to be necessary with old technolgy breakpads which used to outgas when they got hot. New pads don't do this anymore.

Look at any road race car, none of them have cross drilled rotors.

BTW, carbotech can be found at http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm The owner is a great guy and really knows his stuff about breaks.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

For an inexpensive setup...
AutoZone carries AIMCO rotors (basic and slotted/Cross-Drilled). There are some on here that use the regular AIMCO rotors and love them. They appear to be better than stock. As for pads, some on here use Raybestos Ceramic or Carbon Metallic.

As for myself...
Stock (original) rotors all around,
Satisfied Metalazer Pro Ceramic (front pads)
Satisfied Metalazer Pro Carbon Metallic (rear pads)
110 lb/ft torque on lugs (stock 16X8 chrome wheels)

(BTW: Satisfied is the brand that Lappens carries and they are made in Canada. The box has a silver early 4th gen Firebird on the top.)

--VIP1

Quick Reply: problem with front brakes