Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

High speed wheel hop???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed wheel hop???

Alright, for the past month when shifted from 3rd to 4th my car wants to hook right. On the spray yesterday it got away from me and I went for a wild ride. Managed a slight concussion but didn't hit anything.

I can't see anything broken or bent that could cause the wheel hop. At least I think it's wheel hop.

Here's a video: The road is smooth as glass, no bumps or anything. Notice after 90mph the shake and engine sound. It feels like wheel hop in the car. Had I shifted to 4th it would have tried to spin out again. If I were on the bottle it would have.

Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the easy stuff first: bent wheels, missing lugs, broken/loose trans mount, shocks, control arms, torque arm, etc
Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1981TA
Check the easy stuff first: bent wheels, missing lugs, broken/loose trans mount, shocks, control arms, torque arm, etc
I swapped tires and wheels, checked the control arms, torque arm, every nut and bolt around the rearend suspension. There's no fluid leaking out of the shocks but that doesn't mean anything.

1st, 2nd it'll spin but then grab. I only have this chattering problem high in 3rd, low in 4th. If I shift early to 4th, even on the spray, it's fine. But of course it's slower that way too.

It hooks so fast on the spray that you can't catch it if you're shifting at 6k
Old 04-15-2013, 05:53 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Found the problem broken right rear shock. Changed both of them out and the problem has gone away.

Quick Reply: High speed wheel hop???