Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Umi guys come in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Umi guys come in!

alright fellas need advice on the new torque i just bought.

its a umi tunnel mount tq arm w/out safety loop

heres the following suspension

umi lower control arms
umi adjustable panhard bar

new mickey tomspson et streets II on torque thurst wheels that are new as well

the problem that im having is that im getting a vibration

ive read every thread on here

still cant find the issue

whats ur best way and the easiest to set the pinion angle

its a factory height car
Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

anyone
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ano-parts.html
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

mine doesnt come and go tho
Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UMI is out of town this weekend, but I'm sure you'll see Ramey or Ryan poke into this thread in the next few days.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Generally if it's a pinion angle problem it problem will only show up under either acceleration or deceleration.

To check or set your pinion angle you need to use a pinion angle tool.

Put the car on jack-stands make sure it level and the rear axel is supported on the jack-stands so the springs are compressed to normal ride height.

Place the pinion angle tool on the flat of the u-joint on the transmission end of the drive shaft. Make not of the angle. then do the same on the pinion end of the drive shaft.

They should be equal or very close.

Good luck.
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Okay right now its set at drive shaft.at postive .5 and rear end negative 2 which gives,me 1.5
Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

I can do it layin on ground with car sittin on its wheels
Old 04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get under the car and reset the driveshaft and bracket angle to zero (parallel, same number on each, etc).

Then extend the lower bolt 1-1/2 turns. See if it vibrates then. If it does, or if the vibration has moved from where it was before, adjust 1/4-1/2 turn either way until you eliminate the vibration.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Launching!

This diagram may help. I use a digital angle meter off ebay and have never been able to get repeatable measurements using a socket on the ujoint cap or other method. What I do is put it on the flat of the front of an engine head, harmonic dampener, or if the trans is empty pull the slip yoke and put it on the end of the tailshaft. Then I zero my digital meter and move to the machined end of the rear end pinion. Mine is flat anyway, and sticks out enough the meter can be placed on it. Then the angle read on the pinion will be with respect to the crankshaft and transmission output shaft. I shoot for 0 (parallel) to two degrees down on the rear pinion with respect to the transmission on my leaf spring cars as the rears in those can climb on acceleration.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss performance
Generally if it's a pinion angle problem it problem will only show up under either acceleration or deceleration.
So when my cruise is set at 75, I shouldn't be hearing this vibration if my pinion angle was incorrect?

I had planned to continue working with my issue, based on the other thread. However, this statement just confused me.

I have vibration that starts above 70mph, and by 80 its not something I want to continue driving thru. Because I need to get somewhere, I go ahead and set the cruise for 74-75mph(speed limit here) and deal with the non-violent vibration. Vibration does not stop when clutch is pressed in, so I think its safe to say it is speed related.

Vibration started after installing an adjustable torque arm, so I just assumed it had to be pinion angle.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A pinion angle is needed if there is a vibration at steady state cruising. It usually has nothing to do with accel or decel. I would turn the adjuster one turn (doesn't really matter which way) and see if the mph at which it vibrates changes or goes away. Two deg pinion angle is a rule of thumb but really, 1.5 may be just as ok as 2.3 degrees...

Originally Posted by notsue
So when my cruise is set at 75, I shouldn't be hearing this vibration if my pinion angle was incorrect?

I had planned to continue working with my issue, based on the other thread. However, this statement just confused me.

I have vibration that starts above 70mph, and by 80 its not something I want to continue driving thru. Because I need to get somewhere, I go ahead and set the cruise for 74-75mph(speed limit here) and deal with the non-violent vibration. Vibration does not stop when clutch is pressed in, so I think its safe to say it is speed related.

Vibration started after installing an adjustable torque arm, so I just assumed it had to be pinion angle.

Quick Reply: Umi guys come in!