Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No big deal, but I was just wondering…

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No big deal, but I was just wondering…

Now this whole issue is no real big deal and I understand that a when doing what we do on our cars, or any car for that matter, that a little tweaking is involved, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this also happen to them. Oh and my apologies ahead of time to UMI, no disrespect intended. Please read on and you’ll see what I mean.

This past weekend I was installing my UMI bolt-in subframe connector, beginning with the passenger side. Everything went well until I got to the driver’s side. What happened was that when I bolted in the front part of the subframe to my car, the center bolt holes were misaligned just a tad. I then unbolted those and then bolted the two center mounting points and then the opposite occurred, or the front bolts were now NOT lining up. I was able to figure out that I am going to have to grind out the front mounting holes just a little to make the mounting backing plate bolt holes align with the subframe’s bolt holes.

I am left thinking that either my chassis is just a little bit tweaked or is the subframe off just a little bit? Again, apologies ahead of time to UMI, because I am really leaning towards my chassis being a little off instead of their manufacturing standards. Like I said, just wondering.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Twisting wrecked to many variables that is why it is called customizing
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Haven't seen the instructions but are you installing them with the front and rear suspension fully loaded, i.e. all four tires on ramps, or jackstands under front arms and rear axle, or combo of both?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Default Yeepers...

Originally Posted by js2fst
Twisting wrecked to many variables that is why it is called customizing
I agree with you js2fst. In my case, T-tops and having raced in the past without subframes is what is leading me to believe that it is my ride and NOT the manufacturer of the aftermarket product. I just want to see how common this is.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSellers
Haven't seen the instructions but are you installing them with the front and rear suspension fully loaded, i.e. all four tires on ramps, or jackstands under front arms and rear axle, or combo of both?
Ahhhhh, I believe you have something there SSeller. My car is on jack stands and NOT fully loaded on the suspension. Doing so just may clear up this issue.

I'll let you all know when I get a chance to change the way I have the car suspended.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suspension loading may very well help. QC on these cars was not top of the line either.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bluey2kz28
Ahhhhh, I believe you have something there SSeller. My car is on jack stands and NOT fully loaded on the suspension. Doing so just may clear up this issue.

I'll let you all know when I get a chance to change the way I have the car suspended.

Hope so. Last thing you want to do is tie the frames together with the body under any stress.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Default Got it done...

I was able to get the job done on those subframes. Now I am working on the Spohn Pro adjustable torque arm with drive shaft safety loop. Any good advice or words of wisdom on this install are also appreciated.

Thanks again for everybody's input. I greatly appreciate your advice every time I post a thread.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem with my SFCs, except it's my passengers side that doesn't want to line up. I haven't got around to grinding on the SFC to elongate the holes enough so that they line up with the body yet, but it's on my to-do list

Quick Reply: No big deal, but I was just wondering…