Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper and Lowe A Arms for non-road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper and Lowe A Arms for non-road racing?

I see upper and lower A arms, with ball joints installed, are a little over $600 complete. I'm second guessing this mod since I don't road race, maybe redlight race once a month, and car never sees good back road twisties and turns. I'm on the fence, completing my suspension build list that includes sway bars, panhead bar, lowering springs, struts, mount kit, LCA's and relocation, torque arm and relocation, and inner/outer tie rods. I know a lot of people have been putting good A arms in and is something I do want, just not sure if that money could be spent in other places, since I still have stock LS6 intake, and could use some better heads.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

typically most ppl work on the engine then go to suspension.. i'm working the other way around i'm doing suspension THEN doing engine & that includes a moser .. w/e.

the mod would very well help the car handle might even ease turns.
you could get everything, except them & see.

if you're on a low budget i hear people here say that founders performance stuff is just as good & as same quality.

GL
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
typically most ppl work on the engine then go to suspension.. i'm working the other way around i'm doing suspension THEN doing engine & that includes a moser .. w/e.

the mod would very well help the car handle might even ease turns.
you could get everything, except them & see.

if you're on a low budget i hear people here say that founders performance stuff is just as good & as same quality.

GL
yea I want a Moser for sure! I've done 'some' engine mods but I figure on a 12 year old car, 60,000 miles on stocker suspension...it is time for some upgrades. I really need to think out these A Arms, yea budget is important for me right now but will make it easy to just do it all at once (all my suspension build parts are in boxes waiting to go on). Yes, I have some Founders stuff, very good for the price.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RJDio
yea I want a Moser for sure! I've done 'some' engine mods but I figure on a 12 year old car, 60,000 miles on stocker suspension...it is time for some upgrades. I really need to think out these A Arms, yea budget is important for me right now but will make it easy to just do it all at once (all my suspension build parts are in boxes waiting to go on). Yes, I have some Founders stuff, very good for the price.
The stock geometry on the 4th gen cars isn't all that bad, but with 12 years and 60K on the clock, if nothing more, all of the bushings are pretty well dried out. I would think that simply replacing bushings and ball joints, would go a long way to getting your handling back up to par.....maybe shocks, while you're at it, especially if the OE DeCarbon parts are still in place.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most road race guys don't do anything with their front control arms. The biggest mods you see are typically the Global West lower bearing kit, and their upper control arms. Most people will put new bushings in the control arms and replace them as needed.

Shocks and springs will be the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for advice that bushings and ball joints are due for upgrades, so I've decided to upgrade upper and lower A arms with Spohn being the vendor, ball joints already installed by them. I'm going with polyurethane bushings and not Delrin (Spohn replied to my email and told me that Delrin is stiff and more for road racing, may not be worth the extra dollars for my weekend warrior project). That pretty much completes my build including sway bars, torque bar, tranny relocation bracket, adj panhead bar, lca's, lca relocation brackets, moog inner / outer tie rods, SLP Bilsteins, Voglands lowering springs. Hope to have it all in by summer. Maybe one day I can get a tubular K member
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Okay, I was in the OP shoe but I did get Rod adjustable from UMI Upper & Lower a Arms.
What should I set them at, what is the camber or caster alignment I am looking for ?
Is it the same for skinnies or 275 front tires ... more info required & for their $$$ not alot that talk of their tips & tricks which is frustrating! My .02
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Unless you are trying to just put in nice shiny red parts for show... what do you need aftermarket front control arms for if you're not using it for racing?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Cool

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Unless you are trying to just put in nice shiny red parts for show... what do you need aftermarket front control arms for if you're not using it for racing?
I get the middle finger for driving this car a lot.

With that said, Wear & tear on a 14 year old car that left the dealership without rustproofing ... really doest help with my driving.

So, yea .... the next best alternative + they look good on your sig haha
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Presumably, most people upgrade the front LCA's for drag racing. Even then, its only to shed a few pounds of nose weight. I have a set of boxed UMI LCA's with roto-joints built specifically for road race. I picked them up for the 5lbs reduction in unsprung weight per side.

In honesty, the factory stock, stamped/welded LCA's are stronger than most of the A-arms that people purchase to replace them with.

Unless your shaving weight and counting the ounces, you will never have a need for a set of aftermarket LCA's.

If you just want them for the "pretty factor", then just spend the money.

Quick Reply: Upper and Lowe A Arms for non-road racing?