Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard bar not staying adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Panhard bar not staying adjusted?

I've got an issue with keeping the rear centered on my car, I centered the rear using a plumb bob thing to even it out, and after a few days of driving the driver side is sticking out more. This is the 2nd time I've had it drift that way, everything is still tight so I'm pretty sure the adjustment itself isnt changing. Any ideas what might be causing this or what I might be doing wrong? Suspension settling maybe, although when I did lift the car to adjust I lifted it by the rear end so the susp should have stayed loaded? Thanks for any help

Eric
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

What PHR do you have? Are you tightening the jam nuts on the rod ends?

Any up/down movement of the suspension will move the rear end right/left. Best way to adjust it is find a sloped surface and leave the car under the ground and adjust it. Or take it to an alignment shop where you can get it on a wheel-based lift.

Jacking up the rear of the car, even on the axle will change the loading of the suspension slightly effecting the PHR length adjustment for centering.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

For the on car adjustable bars.. is it possible that the bar could lengthen if it jam nuts are not tightened properly?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Its an MWC panhard, the jam nuts are still tight. I think the issue was jacking the rear up to adjust, I'll try leaving it on the ground this time.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Was the rear suspension loaded or unloaded (rear hanging) when you adjusted it? If unloaded when you adjusted.. then your PHB was at a different angle compared to when it's loaded. Causes the horizontal distance to change depending on the angle of the PHB
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

It was loaded (lifted the car by the rear end) when I made the adjustment. Im wondering if just lifting the car by the rear changed the suspension geometry enough for it to resettle after driving?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have it jacked up the geometry could tweak a little since it isn't resting on the wheels.

I adjusted mine with the weight on the wheels. I'm skinny enough that I could still crawl underneath the left corner of the car to get to the adjuster

Quick Reply: Panhard bar not staying adjusted?