Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

mystery sound when suspension is compressed hard

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mystery sound when suspension is compressed hard

99 firebird V6:

when I go over a speed bunp too fast or hit a significant pothole I now hear a chi-chunk sound from the front suspension. It sound like something compressing and hitting something else and then releasing. (sounds like the lock mechanism opening and closing on a heavy duty industrial door set up)

It did not do this before. However I have made some recent changes.

Put on bigger sways bars 32MM front and 19MM rear, with energy suspension bushing and new ES endlinks. This should not effect the up and down travel, right?

I bought some chrome trans am wheels. Wheels are the same size, but the tires went from 26.15" to 25.65" height and of course are wider. I looked all around the wheels and the suspension and cannot see where these tires are even close to hitting.

I have the stock F41 suspension and decarbon shock (unknown mileage) other than the sway bar upgrades. The car has 65K total miles on it.

I took the car over to a mechanic friend and put it up on his hoist and we looked it over pretty good. Nothing obviously broken or loose and the sway bar install looks good.

Any ideas? I don't think it is just the front air dam bottoming out as it does that sometimes and it doesn't sound the same.

Thanks!
Mark

Last edited by black ttop; 05-15-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a lot of things..ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel hubs...I would check for play in the front end, might also check the shock upper shock mount/isolators....I would not think a properly installed swaybar would have any effect on travel, now a bent or improperly installed one, could perhaps impact ride height/travel...

Quick Reply: mystery sound when suspension is compressed hard