Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

single adjustable Poly/rod lost.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single adjustable Poly/rod lost.

So i've got a single adjustable Poly/rod setup for my T/A recently and i've installed the phb and i came up with an idea to adjust it (push the car left or right depends on where it needs to be centered).

but now i'm concerned about the LCA's how do you adjust those !
i certainly can't push the differential to the front or back suspension loaded or not !

single adjustable setup's aren't easy to deal with i've recently heard & i made the mistake cause i didn't pay much attention i guess

any help is surely appreciated.

thanks guys
Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
So i've got a single adjustable Poly/rod setup for my T/A recently and i've installed the phb and i came up with an idea to adjust it (push the car left or right depends on where it needs to be centered).

i certainly can't push the differential to the front or back suspension loaded or not !

single adjustable setup's aren't easy to deal with i've recently heard & i made the mistake cause i didn't pay much attention i guess

thanks guys
I adjusted mine easily with the suspension loaded, just don't set your E-brake on or in gear and let the rear diff roll either front or back.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks guys

Do you have access to a 4-wheel alignment rack? Ideally, you get the car on the rack, with the alignment heads on the wheels, and adjust the "rear toe" to zero. Most cars have a little mis-alignment in them (manufacturing tolerances), and it shows up as toe in on one side of the car, and a little toe out on the other, because the car has a solid axle.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
I adjusted mine easily with the suspension loaded, just don't set your E-brake on or in gear and let the rear diff roll either front or back.
but won't that simply move the car while i work? and i can't work with the suspension loaded unless i'm on a ramp which again i don't have, but i kinda like your idea (i've got line lock). so tell me more, how do you get the rear to roll on a "single adjustable lca" i must have not understand how you "rolled your differential". my brother got a rod/rod setup which meaned on car adjustable and damn was that easy i'm kind of having thought's on selling my LCA's and getting another setup.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Do you have access to a 4-wheel alignment rack? Ideally, you get the car on the rack, with the alignment heads on the wheels, and adjust the "rear toe" to zero. Most cars have a little mis-alignment in them (manufacturing tolerances), and it shows up as toe in on one side of the car, and a little toe out on the other, because the car has a solid axle.
i could get access at a shop..

---
i've just took some measurement's and the tires seem to have a 2" space from the each tire to the back of the rear bumper. which kind of tells me they are centered, but i'm somehow convinced that with the LCA install they'll get screwed.

sideways though the right side has 2.75" & left 1.75" < can fix that
--
still looking for more idea's here.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....i could get access at a shop..

---
i've just took some measurement's and the tires seem to have a 2" space from the each tire to the back of the rear bumper. which kind of tells me they are centered, but i'm somehow convinced that with the LCA install they'll get screwed.

sideways though the right side has 2.75" & left 1.75" < can fix that
--
still looking for more idea's here.

Just to give you some practical advise, measuring from the body panels is OK, but not the most accurate, as there are manufacturing tolerances there, too. Centering the rear axle under the car, with an adjustable PHB, by all means, measure down from the sides of the car to the edge of the wheels, because A) this measurement doesn't have to be "dead nuts"; B) the measurement will change as gas is added, people sit in the back seat, etc; and C) other than tire clearance, a little bit of variation isn't critical.

However, if you're going through the effort to buy and install a pair of adjustable LCAs, and you want to get the most out of them, you want their length adjusted properly. Part of their benefit, is to be able to get the rear axle TOTALLY parallel to the front end. While a ruler gets you close, the difference in the lengths of the LCAs, side to side, could differ as little as 0.020-0.030". It's EXTREMELY difficult to get that close without a 4 wheel alignment rack.

Quick Reply: single adjustable Poly/rod lost.