Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drilling Jeep Bumpstops?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Drilling Jeep Bumpstops?

So, I've ordered the poly Jeep bumpstops to replace my destroyed stockers on the rear. These do seem to be a lot stiffer than even my OE black SS stops, which are allegedly even much firmer than the OE yellow/white Z-28 stops. Obviously, I don't want to be in the stops, but if I do end up in them, I want the experience to be as favorable as possible.

I've seen references to drilling holes in the poly in order to make them more forgiving. I did see one thread mentioned that Strano recommends "a bunch" of 3/16" holes.

Anyone have any description or pics of what they did and how well it worked? I'd imagine it's best to drill them horizontally to the ground to allow additional compression. Did you drill through the tapered portion, or through the square end closer to the mounting plate? How many holes did you drill, what size, did it affect the structural integrity of the stop (did they tear/split/fail with time)?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't do anything to mine. I don't think you will ever hit them if you have a good suspension
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your roads are anything like the ones in Richmond then you WILL get to know your bumpstops fairly well... if you've got a passenger in the back and your car is lowered at all it will basically be on the bumpstops the whole way.

My bumpstops were already destroyed by the previous owner (and the car was at stock ride height to boot) so I replaced them with some used 3rd gen bumpstops off eBay. I didn't want the harshness of the polys and the 3rd gen stops are a direct replacement. They seem to be made of a much more durable rubber than the junk foam stops that come on 4th gens.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

I knew mine very well in my old formula because the suspension was shot. I annihilated those crappy rubber ones (4th gen). I put the polys on my current car because the OE ones were shot. Ive had people in the back but haven't hit them yet.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With my 70k mile OE springs and decarbons, I can see I was hitting them as I have a "clean" spot on the axle. I've now got Bilsteins and cut 1 coil from the rear, so we'll see how often I am in them. I suppose I could mount them as-is and see how it goes. Can always drill them on the car, or take them out - not like they are difficult to remove and install.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW, the stops weren't mangled. The passenger side delaminated from the mount, and the driver's side is actually in good shape. I was definitely hitting them on the sriver's side, but I don't think it was anything too bad.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want as favorable as possible, then get OE replacements (OE SS ones were a higher durometer from SLP, discontinued) and remove the SS metal spacers to give you more suspension travel. This was Strano's advice for "favorable as possible".
Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I knew mine very well in my old formula because the suspension was shot. I annihilated those crappy rubber ones (4th gen). I put the polys on my current car because the OE ones were shot. Ive had people in the back but haven't hit them yet.
Unless you are driving on some really nice roads I would doubt it. Now "hitting them" doesn't mean slamming into them, it could be just a light bump. Part of having a good suspension setup is a smooth transition onto the bumpstops so its not an abrupt jarring hit. Even at stock 4x4 height these cars hit the bumpstops.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Unless you are driving on some really nice roads I would doubt it. Now "hitting them" doesn't mean slamming into them, it could be just a light bump. Part of having a good suspension setup is a smooth transition onto the bumpstops so its not an abrupt jarring hit. Even at stock 4x4 height these cars hit the bumpstops.
That's my belief on them as well. My completely stock 70k mile suspension was absolutely kissing the stops on at least the driver's side.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Probably a light bump. On my formula, you knew when they hit... because it was like a gunshot almost.

I'll look at mine tomorrow and see if I have actually hit them
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's mine. Not the greatest picture, but I was to lazy to pull the wheel off. I used what bits I had laying around. I'll just call them 1/4" and 1/8" bits, I really don't remember. 26 1/2" ground to fender, Strano springs with heater hose mod. My car hits these bumpstops a few times a day. I had cut my stock bumpstops before buying these and I think I liked it better. Sometime in the future I may cut the drilled part off just so they will bottom out less.
Attached Thumbnails Drilling Jeep Bumpstops?-007.jpg  
Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
Here's mine. Not the greatest picture, but I was to lazy to pull the wheel off. I used what bits I had laying around. I'll just call them 1/4" and 1/8" bits, I really don't remember. 26 1/2" ground to fender, Strano springs with heater hose mod. My car hits these bumpstops a few times a day. I had cut my stock bumpstops before buying these and I think I liked it better. Sometime in the future I may cut the drilled part off just so they will bottom out less.
Interesting.
Did you notice a difference after drilling the hole?
Have you considered drilling a few big holes vs many small ones - id like to see a comparison for this.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Interesting.
Did you notice a difference after drilling the hole?
Have you considered drilling a few big holes vs many small ones - id like to see a comparison for this.
I drilled them before I installed them so I don't have a back-to-back comparison. Didn't think about drilling big holes vs small holes...hmm. Although I don't really seeing it being much better with big holes. I think eventually I will just cut the drilled part off. Better not to make any contact at all.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wrong, the point is to make a *gradual* transition to the bumpstops, so drilling holes is meant to help with that. That's why the OEM ones are of the material that they are, for a gradual transition, poly is much more harsh...

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
I drilled them before I installed them so I don't have a back-to-back comparison. Didn't think about drilling big holes vs small holes...hmm. Although I don't really seeing it being much better with big holes. I think eventually I will just cut the drilled part off. Better not to make any contact at all.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Wrong, the point is to make a *gradual* transition to the bumpstops, so drilling holes is meant to help with that. That's why the OEM ones are of the material that they are, for a gradual transition, poly is much more harsh...
Yeah, I know they're harsh. It's why I drilled them in the first place... Even with the small holes, when the axle hits the bumpstops, it's not a 'soft' compression. It's still a bit harsh. I may try some 1/2" holes at some point.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i haven't tryed mine out yet but i just installed them today and didn't drill a single hole, cant be more harsh then axle hitting bump stop base though right?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1
i haven't tryed mine out yet but i just installed them today and didn't drill a single hole, cant be more harsh then axle hitting bump stop base though right?
I guess it's going to depend on how low your car is as to how harsh it's going to be. It's going to be a little more harsh then the stockers.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

prothane has progressive bump stops.........no drilling needed
Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
prothane has progressive bump stops.........no drilling needed
I went to Summit's and Prothane's websites looking for these. It looks like the ones that are progressive (at least the ones I was looking at) are 7" long vs the 5" (I went out to measure mine) for the jeep bumpstops. To long to bolt up to the stock holes on our chassis. But those progressive bumpstops look like they would do the job. They look nice.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

I looked at my rear and I have hit my bump stops... I honestly never feel it, and I have not drilled them.

Quick Reply: Drilling Jeep Bumpstops?