Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

still feels loose over rough surfaces (especially in turns)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default still feels loose over rough surfaces (especially in turns)

I've done a lot of tinkering with my suspension, but the front still doesn't feel confident. I've done upper/lower control arm bushings/balljoints, swaybar/bushings/endlinks, shocks/upper mounts, alignment, checked rack bolts, checked linkage bolts, and checked tie rod ends and wheel hubs using the 6/12 and 9/3 shaking

I notice with the car off and column not locked when I move the wheel back and forth there's a clunking sound. If I lift the wheels off the ground it's gone though, and I get no play at all by shaking either wheel horizontally or vertically. I know shocks can cause a loose feel, but even though I'm back on decarbons they're very low mileage units and perform very well for decarbons otherwise.

Any thoughts? Is my only possibility left the rack? I don't know how to positively diagnose it because I can't feel any play in anything until I hit a bump through a corner and it feels like the whole front end gets loose and I have to correct the wheel
Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I just recently upgraded my entire front end with all MOOG parts, upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, sway bar end links, sway bar mount bushings, upper shock mounts and shock insulators, and KONI SA shocks. And my car feels WAY better than it ever has, and is very stable in the corners over bumps, where it never was previously. So, the only difference we have is shocks. Are you lowered? Lowering springs need upgraded shocks for best performance. I have Hotchkis springs.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

back on stock springs, I have an annoying commute for a few years and needed cash so I downgraded back to some 10k mile decarbons for now. I suppose that it is possible the seals are going from age rather than miles, but they really don't feel bad, and as crappy as these shocks are known to be there's no way a car could have felt like this from the factory. How many miles are on your car? I'm at 140k+ so I'm not ruling out the rack yet either but I don't know how I would confirm it other than assuming everything else is good
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm at 124k right now, and stock steering rack. What are your alignment settings?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Intermediate shaft maybe? Depending on the year there may be a "rag joint" that is worn out or even a worn u-joint.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Its a 2000 so no rag joint, I tried to watch the intermediate but couldn't see any noticeable play

Alignment settings are -1 camber, 0 toe, and they could only get 3 degrees of caster
Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Might need more Caster. I believe my caster setting was 5.9. Increased caster will give the car a tighter steering
Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

I've asked in another thread but never got an answer, why wouldn't they be able to get any more caster? The K member has never been out of the car, stock control arms and everything

Quick Reply: still feels loose over rough surfaces (especially in turns)