Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake pad contact less on one rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad contact less on one rotor?

So I changed my pads and rotors, all look great and work great stop great and I just got back from breaking them in.

I checked all the rotors out to see how much of the brake surface they make contact with.

All contact the rotors from the top of the slots to the bottom except the Passenger Rear rotor.

it doesnt make contact with about 1/4 inch of the bottom of the slots, the rotors were annodized black so after braking it removed all the anodizing and its very clear where contact is made.

With this right itself in time with use? Or is there a issue here? Its mainly a DD but this is the last of the upgrades before I try alittle track time.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

try to bleed the system maybe air got in and it's not doing much that side
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

If I'm reading this correctly, I believe I have the same issue on my passenger front brakes. I believe what may be happening here is caliper spread. Our stock calipers are known to spread. Basically when the brakes are applied, it's trying to turn the caliper from a "U" into a "V" if that makes any sense?

My passenger front is actually an Autozone FENCO Remanufactured caliper. I've been meaning to get a new stock caliper on there at some point.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I call it box chamfer, if the pads were loose in the box they come in the edges can be chipped during shipping/handling. It could take a couple hundred to a few thousand miles before the pads make full contact.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
try to bleed the system maybe air got in and it's not doing much that side
Well when i replaced everything i didnt open the system and thus never bleed the system.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
If I'm reading this correctly, I believe I have the same issue on my passenger front brakes. I believe what may be happening here is caliper spread. Our stock calipers are known to spread. Basically when the brakes are applied, it's trying to turn the caliper from a "U" into a "V" if that makes any sense?

My passenger front is actually an Autozone FENCO Remanufactured caliper. I've been meaning to get a new stock caliper on there at some point.
Well I may consider replacing/upgrading to vette calipers at some pointidk maybe this will push it sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
I call it box chamfer, if the pads were loose in the box they come in the edges can be chipped during shipping/handling. It could take a couple hundred to a few thousand miles before the pads make full contact.
Well hopefully thats the case, ill drive it abit and hopefully this disappears.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Just to update anyone that sees this or has an issue like this in the future, with more driving the pads are starting to make almost the same contact so they were just made alittle different but are evening up.

Quick Reply: Brake pad contact less on one rotor?