Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2000 camaro subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 camaro subframe connectors

Ive been looking into some subframe connectors, weld ins or bolt ins and possibly a 3 pt set up from UMI. My camaro is a convertible. I am sticking with bolt ons for now, a few years I may do a 6 liter and some more power. What would be best ?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I wouldn't do bolt in subframe connectors. Considering that they've been proven to elongate the holes and defeat their purpose.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

So do weld ins, are the 3 point UMI's a bit overkill for a road race capable car ? or should I just go all in and get the 3 pt ?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running the 3 point bolt-in UMI's. I can tell you one benefit right now - lowered my car, and I am out of practice of driving a lowered car (I DD a mildly lifted 4x4 for the last 6 years) and took a speed bump in a parking garage a little too quickly. Banged off the SFC's pretty well, but I didn't hit anything else under the car.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I keep looking at the bolt in UMI since you can weld them in at a later date. My welding is a little bit rusty but my buddy owns a fab shop and will do it for a case of beer, so he is always a week or 2 backed up but I figure if I do the dirty work of mounting them I will just have him do the welding since he does race chassis's
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That was my thought too, with the welding. You bought the black '00 SS Vert from Conrad, right?

If so, I am running the SFC's and SLP lid that were on your car before he demodded for sale.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

lol yes I did buy it. He told me about how modded up it was at one point. Thats awesome that your using the parts
Old 06-10-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice - well, glad to see his car is still around and you're active with it. I was kind of sad with the thought of an '00 SS very disappearing from the scene, being that I have a sister car to yours
Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

She is going to be very well cared for and I have lots of plans for her as well. Garaged by the end of october in a heated garage and thats when the insanity will start lol Im having too much fun right now driving her, now if only the weather changes up a bit
Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

no bolt hole elongation in my UMI 3 pt
Old 06-10-2013, 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You want to consider what you are trying to accomplish... connecting the subframes. If you look at some of these you will notice the "connector" is bolted to the outboard side of the LCA bracket in the rear, and sometimes the front even stops short of the real subframe and ties to the floor crossbrace(what the trans crossmember bolts to).

The outboard side of the rear LCA bracket is nowhere near the rear subframe, and are usually positioned alongside the rocker pinch weld. The rocker is the absolute strongest place in a unibody car so why would you add metal there?

Please consider the MWC true subframe connectors that actually connect the front and rear subframes. We only offer them in a weld-in style as I can guarantee you that any bolted in component will flex at the connection point and do next to nothing for chassis rigidity.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was heavily considering the MWC as I do like the idea of truly tying the subframes together. I came across these UMI 3 point bolt-ins for a killer deal, and decided to give them a try.

While the MWC pieces may be the best out there, I can cay the UMI three points are helping a lot. I'm doing a clutch replacement right now, and put the car up on jack stands. They stiffened the car enough that it was "three wheeling" slightly on the jack stands and I had to adjust them to properly support all 4 corners. In the past, the body would have flexed and it would have sat on all 4 stands evenly from the get-go.

I do believe SFC's help, but no, I don't think they can end world hunger or cure cancer. From what I have read, the MWC pieces are great, but I haven't heard many (or any) complaints about the UMI's either. I say for the price I paid they are a worthwhile mod, especially on a 'vert.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Wow the MWC is half the cost of the UMI, I am on a limited budget at the moment, I just switched jobs and took a bit of a pay cut. Anyone wanna buy a car in southeast mi ? lol. Thats why Im doing all my homework before buying things, I wanna do it right and one time instead of just buying a part to have it. I like the Idea of the UMI but if I can get the Chromoly MWC for their price Im all over it lol
Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sopes
Wow the MWC is half the cost of the UMI, I am on a limited budget at the moment, I just switched jobs and took a bit of a pay cut. Anyone wanna buy a car in southeast mi ? lol. Thats why Im doing all my homework before buying things, I wanna do it right and one time instead of just buying a part to have it. I like the Idea of the UMI but if I can get the Chromoly MWC for their price Im all over it lol
MWC is absolutely less expensive than UMI - just remember you'll have to get them installed (welded).
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I guess 2 cases of beer will be needed to move my car to the front of the line at my buddys shop lol. I guess the question is though do the MWC work on converts ?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for considering the UMI brand, we appreciate that!

The cool thing about our set up is if you purchase the bolt in style they come to you ready to bolt in with all the brackets and hardware, along with a nice thick glossy coat of powder coat, they are flawless! Our connectors are a little more expensive but if you look at the extended machine and bend time we have it shows why.

The other nice thing about the bolt in style is you can weld them at any time. Purchasing bolt in does not limit you to bolt in only. So saving on the welding cost right now is a huge plus! Most shops will charge between $100-200 to weld in a set of SFC's. You can even buy our weld in set #2026 and pay $10 more to bolt them in. This way you don't need to weld right away. You can install in your driveway in less than an hour with standard tools.

Lastly, I have been running bolt in SFC's on my personal car since 2006 and the holes have not changed in shape and they have never came loose. I do believe if they come loose you can elongate holes but keeping them tight, they will work good. I purposely did not weld them and have not yet for this reason. The car is used for street, drag and it is now getting some changes for autox.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 06-11-2013, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Whos got some deals going on subframe connectors that will work on a convertible ?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

go with weld in BMR . you will feel the difference right away, especially first set of rr tracks!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Any companys throwing out some deals or money off on some connectors for my ss convertible ?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

UMI ? BMR ? MWC ? anyone offering a discount ?

Quick Reply: 2000 camaro subframe connectors