Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Boxed Front Lower Control Arms and Shock Hardware Size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Boxed Front Lower Control Arms and Shock Hardware Size?

Who else has the newer UMI boxed control arms installed?

These ones: http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=620

Did a lot of searching and couldn't find any pictures. The lower shock mounting tabs sit on top of the pegs, does anyone have a picture and can anyone tell me what size hardware they used to mount them?

The stock GM Metric bolts were far too short when I mocked everything up. I really didn't think the mounting tab on the Koni's was any thicker than Decarbons. I've been running the Koni's on stock front lower control arms for a couple of years with no issue.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We tested ours on the skid pad and slalom yesterday. I owe you that measurement. I'll get it to you.

-- Ramey
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Launching!

My boxed arms will be here Friday. I orderd the hardware bolt kit too. Hope the bolts are long enough.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Who else has the newer UMI boxed control arms installed?

Did a lot of searching and couldn't find any pictures. The lower shock mounting tabs sit on top of the pegs, does anyone have a picture and can anyone tell me what size hardware they used to mount them?

The stock GM Metric bolts were far too short when I mocked everything up. I really didn't think the mounting tab on the Koni's was any thicker than Decarbons. I've been running the Koni's on stock front lower control arms for a couple of years with no issue.
I've got 'em. Not the best picture as my car is sitting on the ground and not on my ramps. It's been awhile since I installed mine so I don't remember exact bolt size. Whatever the stock bolt diameter is, but 4" long. I bought new washers and nuts, also. Grade 8. The reason you need longer bolts is because the pegs on the LCAs is thicker then the stock LCAs. These LCAs are also going to raise your ride height by a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch...despite what UMI says. My airdam used to scrape on my driveway approach pretty good, but after the install, not so much.
Attached Thumbnails UMI Boxed Front Lower Control Arms and Shock Hardware Size?-003.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
We tested ours on the skid pad and slalom yesterday. I owe you that measurement. I'll get it to you.

-- Ramey
I knew you would. I'm sure it's busy at the shop.

Originally Posted by 38DD2436
My boxed arms will be here Friday. I ordered the hardware bolt kit too. Hope the bolts are long enough.
I ordered the bolt kit too but I don't think it came with lower shock bolts. Just the bolts that attach the roto joints to the K-Member. Hard to remember since this car has been apart for a year now and a lot of this stuff I ordered last summer.

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
I've got 'em. Not the best picture as my car is sitting on the ground and not on my ramps. It's been awhile since I installed mine so I don't remember exact bolt size. Whatever the stock bolt diameter is, but 4" long. I bought new washers and nuts, also. Grade 8. The reason you need longer bolts is because the pegs on the LCAs is thicker then the stock LCAs. These LCAs are also going to raise your ride height by a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch...despite what UMI says. My airdam used to scrape on my driveway approach pretty good, but after the install, not so much.
Thanks for posting that. Looking at that picture you can tell you need fairly long bolts in order to get them to mount correctly.

I've heard that about these arms although I did see Ramey say it isn't true. It did seem a bit higher when I mocked everything up. I'll be screwed if that happens because the car is on Koni/LG Springs, no ride height adjustability. Makes me appreciate the KW V3 setup I have on my DD.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have in our notes that the stock bolts work and are to be reused. We will double check this, maybe it is incorrect.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Are these noisy at all with the roto joints?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xRelapse13
Since these cars make as much noise as they do anyway, they don't seem to be much louder then stock. I'm happy with mine!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally say no. I run them on my Trans Am, it is street driven and some autox track time. The Roto-Joints have proven to be very quiet and a great option over rod ends.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Last edited by UMI Performance; 06-24-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-24-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
I have in our notes that the stock bolts work and are to be reused. We will double check this, maybe it is incorrect.
Not sure about other options but definitely not the case with Koni Yellows. Ramey helped me figure out the correct size though, needed some M10x100mm bolts with nuts and some M10 washers.

I haven't been able to drive the car yet but I seriously doubt it.

I have Spohn's equivalent on my rear lower control arms and drove on them for a season and they were quiet as quiet can be. Much better option than rod ends for a street car in my opinion.

Quick Reply: UMI Boxed Front Lower Control Arms and Shock Hardware Size?