Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I Thought Cutting Stock Springs Were Frowned Upon?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I Thought Cutting Stock Springs Were Frowned Upon?

Well I'm looking for a setup that'll ride smoother on rough roads. Here is my tweaked setup:

- Strano Springs w/rear spring isolator
- Strano 35/Adj 22 Sway Bars (Set on the middle hole because of staggered setup)
- Koni 4/3 Shocks (played with settings multiple times)
- UMI bolt-on 2-point Subframe Connectors (Removed)
- UMI Poly/Roto Adj. Panhard Bar
- UMI Poly/Roto Adj. LCA's (Switched to BMR Adj. with Rubber Bushings)
- UMI bolt-on Relocation Brackets

Additional Info:
- No added weight in the rear
- On 18's but running taller profile tires (275/40R18 & 295/40R18)

I was planning on switching out the Strano's for stock springs and putting in my BMR 1" lowering A-arm but I'm thinking the Koni shocks will still interfere with my quest for a smoother ride. I am contemplating purchasing Bilsteins with stock cut springs and selling my BMR A-arms or should I keep the A-arms and run uncut springs? I thought cutting stock springs were frowned upon and never considered that as a viable option. What sayeth LS1Tech?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Tire psi makes or breaks the ride of my car. What do you run at? For me, anything over 25ish starts to jar teeth.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Tire psi makes or breaks the ride of my car. What do you run at? For me, anything over 25ish starts to jar teeth.
Forgot to add that I've played with it multiple times.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Take this with a grain of salt as her car is BONE stock with 200+K miles.. But the GFs Z has cut stock springs and it rides like dog ****.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lemons12
Take this with a grain of salt as her car is BONE stock with 200+K miles.. But the GFs Z has cut stock springs and it rides like dog ****.
Shocks are crucial too. What shocks is she riding on?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

....Stock.

That is why I said take it with a grain of salt. I already bought some BMR springs to replace the cut springs.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I am running SLP Bilsteins on cut springs with modified upper mounts on the front and I can't really complain. I also put much better (more progressive) bump stops in the front.

I'd like to meet up with a local member on Stranos or BMR's and do a side by side comparison of ride quality so I can accurately describe how it compares to the two most popular aftermarket springs.

The key also is cutting them properly - keep them as cool as possible, don't go cutting with a torch.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

You can cut springs. It's no big deal. What do you think people did before there were lowering springs for everything? Ride is dependent on multiple things and can be very subjective.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I have stock, uncut springs (175k miles) with Bilsteins and BMR 1" lowering A-arms on the front of my B4C, like buttah!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the springs aren't variable rate, cutting them is perfectly acceptable. I'm not sure how they are on our cars.. Keep in mind every coil you remove you increase the stiffness by roughly 10%.

I cut one coil (about 1") off the fronts of my Fiero matched with my own fabricated coilovers using AFCO springs and adjusters in the rear and the ride was still great.

I think the Koni's may be your issue, even on full soft they are probably too firm for you.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's gotta be OK, I mean....Gas Monkey does it:

Honestly, I think it's a good option, but it's more work. Do research, consider the wheel and tire combo you'll be running, the condition of the roads. Look up the "upper mount mod" on here, and consider swapping out those rock hard factory bump stops.

And, yeah - could be the Konis - I don't know as I have never even been in a Koni car, but reading between the lines here on Tech, I got the feeling they'd be too stiff for my taste/usage. I love my Bilsteins.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I thought cutting stock springs were frowned upon and never considered that as a viable option. What sayeth LS1Tech?
Just actually read through this....what's your height goal? If you already have the a-arms, I'd reassemble stock height with the a-arms and see how you like it. If it's too tall, break it down and cut a little out - I'd start with 1/2 a coil unless you know you have a ton of room you want to drop.

That's what I mean by more work - took me two iteration to get it right. I cut 1 coil off the fronts and reassembled and wasn't fully happy with how the front sat - looked kind of like one of the taller Strano setups, and I wanted more of a "BMR" stance. So, I broke it down again and cut another 1/2 a coil. I wouldn't go any lower than I am right now. Sometimes I second guess myself and think I should have cut 1.25 coils. Nice thing is OE springs are cheap and plentiful....if I change my mind, I can swap them out for very little $$.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
....Stock.

That is why I said take it with a grain of salt. I already bought some BMR springs to replace the cut springs.
Better buy some shocks while you're at it, the reason it rides like *** is because of the worn out shocks.

I've got cut stock springs on mine, did it as a temporary deal while I get other stuff on the car done. I cut 1 coil off the fronts and 1.5 coils off the rear with the isolator removed. The shocks are a set from a friend that have 50k miles on them. It rides just like a stock f-body with a slight improvement in cornering ability. It has bottomed out the rear suspension a couple times - I think this is due to hitting the bumpstops as the thud is pretty loud the couple times it's happened. I had the same thing happen with bilsteins on a previous car so I don't think it's the shocks causing this.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In regards to your primary question, new Bilsteins and the cut stock springs should yield a relatively smooth ride. The Koni + Strano springs would be the ideal combination for handling purposes, however the stiffness leads to a little harshness on the streets.

As an aside, how well did your 275/40/18 tires fit on the front? Do you have rubbing issues? What wheels did you mount those on? I'm contemplating going from a 275/35/18 to a 275/40/18 on my lowered setup (Strano springs and I got the full 1.25" drop) just to get an extra half inch of clearance up front however I'm concerned they will rub really bad when wrapped around 18" x 9.5" C6 replica wheels (+58mm offset).
Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think before you try to find a solution, you should try to figure out what the suspension is doing that causes you to dislike the ride. Rough ride is usually one of two things if it's shocks/springs.
1. Compression is too much.. your body absorbs the bumps
2. Compression is not enough.. you impact bumpstops at a high velocity

Which case do you think you are experiencing?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm looking for a setup that'll ride smoother on rough roads. Here is my tweaked setup:

- Strano 35/Adj 22 Sway Bars (Set on the middle hole because of staggered setup)

Additional Info:

I was planning on switching out the Strano's for stock springs and putting in my BMR 1" lowering A-arm but I'm thinking the Koni shocks will still interfere with my quest for a smoother ride. I am contemplating purchasing Bilsteins with stock cut springs and selling my BMR A-arms or should I keep the A-arms and run uncut springs? I thought cutting stock springs were frowned upon and never considered that as a viable option. What sayeth LS1Tech?
We have like a 95% same set up. My Konis are set to the middle set up on both front and rear, but I hate it here in LA, HOWEVER, when the guys drive me car, they LOVE that it corners on rails. But the streets of LA make me feel like I'm poor since I feel everything.

I wonder what my 3/4 Koni's/Stranos would feel like on full soft. Still better than stock? or worse?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Additional Info:

Only really frowned upon when the person in question thinks its no different than lowering springs, or hacks away trying to slam the car thinking its not going to ride any different.
In your case, have you tried smaller (17") wheels? What about tires with softer sidewalls?
You may have larger sidewalls than normal for 18"s, but you still have the extra weight of the wheels/tires which certainly doesn't help.
Also noticed you have the adjustable rear bar, have you tried playing with that setting, setting it to softer? I know the rear bar will play a pretty big factor in how the rear of these cars ride.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
As long as the springs aren't variable rate, cutting them is perfectly acceptable. I'm not sure how they are on our cars.. Keep in mind every coil you remove you increase the stiffness by roughly 10%.
Way too vague of an assumption.
Spring rate is a function of the spring height, coil thickness, number of coils (active) and diameter of the spring.
You could have a really tall soft spring you cut a coil off of and not gain near "10% stiffness", or a really short, stiff spring you cut a coil off of and get way more than "10% stiffness" increased.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Way too vague of an assumption.
Spring rate is a function of the spring height, coil thickness, number of coils (active) and diameter of the spring.
You could have a really tall soft spring you cut a coil off of and not gain near "10% stiffness", or a really short, stiff spring you cut a coil off of and get way more than "10% stiffness" increased.
Right you are, lets just say an increase in spring stiffness then
Old 06-18-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Midnight02
In regards to your primary question, new Bilsteins and the cut stock springs should yield a relatively smooth ride. The Koni + Strano springs would be the ideal combination for handling purposes, however the stiffness leads to a little harshness on the streets.

As an aside, how well did your 275/40/18 tires fit on the front? Do you have rubbing issues? What wheels did you mount those on? I'm contemplating going from a 275/35/18 to a 275/40/18 on my lowered setup (Strano springs and I got the full 1.25" drop) just to get an extra half inch of clearance up front however I'm concerned they will rub really bad when wrapped around 18" x 9.5" C6 replica wheels (+58mm offset).
Can't really copy and paste on the iPad but I created a thread on it. If you can't find it I'll copy and paste later. I think there is little-to-no rubbing at all and it looks great! It fills up the wheel well very nicely.

Edit: figured out how to do it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ano-konis.html

Last edited by 02TransAm/Batmobile; 06-18-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Thought Cutting Stock Springs Were Frowned Upon?