Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Semi-soft pedal on GTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Semi-soft pedal on GTO

hey guys,

I was running hard on the interstate this Tuesday and I got on the brakes pretty good at about 140. The brakes bit very well (DBA rotors, Hawk HPS Pads) for 1-2 seconds but then it felt like the brakes "let go" like brake fade. Didn't think much of it because I just thought at that speed, the brakes would heat up very quickly. There was also some smoke when I looked behind the vehicle to see where some other vehicles were.

Yesterday, I took the goat out for a drive and noticed the brakes would stop the car BUT the brake pedal would go to the floor and would only roll the vehicle to a stop, not "stop on a dime" like it used to. It is not a squishy pedal but it will go to the floor.

My plan is to check the rubber lines going to the calipers for swelling but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and what the fix was. I've found a few threads on here but none of them updated with a repair they made to fix the problem.

Derek
Old 06-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue as well i was told that it could possibly be my master cylinder
Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally, if the pedal feels squishy but holds at the same point when depressed it's caused by air in the lines. Try a full bleed and check for air. If that doesn't work, bench bleed the master again.

If the pedal slowly drops to the floor when you press and hold, your Master seal has probably gone. Rebuild or (easier) replace.

Might not be a bad idea to inspect the rubber flex hoses at each wheel for expansion damage, if applicable (assuming you don't have SS braided lines).

Lastly, check for fluid loss/leaks.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

and here.. we.. GO! this is gonna suck

Quick Reply: Semi-soft pedal on GTO