Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can you remove SFC's?

Old 04-28-2004, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you remove SFC's?

I was wondering if you could remove subframe connectors? When I re-do my suspension, I'd like to remove them, and add BMR's to the car. The ones I have now are some cheap/dinky ones, and I am trying to get rid of any/all twist that may occur. Right now, it's "ok", but adding about 200+rwhp to my current set-up could possibly make the job of these a little more difficult. I would think you could just cut them off? Smooth out where the welds were, adn then re-weld the new units on. But, would using a torch hurt the floorpans? Or, weaken anything on the car?
Old 04-28-2004, 05:22 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would cut through those things like butter with a torch, and then smooth out the welds. Wouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes.

You shouldn't be torching the floorpans at all, unless you've got really, really, bad aim.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would avoid using a torch, get yourself a cut off wheel http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...ceffdfgidgkk.0 , grind only the welds or the metal will become paper thin.

Al
Old 04-28-2004, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Sweet, I just bought one of those to help a buddy cut off excess threads on a set of spring compressors. I guess you're right, I would just need to cut the welds around the edges of the subframe. And, once I got it off, grind it down smooth, am I correct?
Old 04-28-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slow98TA
once I got it off, grind it down smooth, am I correct?
That is correct, I know you want BMR weld-on's but give some thought to SLP or Don Goetz bolt-on SFC. Again, JMO.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Exclamation

I was wondering the same thing! I was told my torque thrust alignment was off and i was curious if i could cut out my BMR boxed SFC, get that torque thurst alignment adjusted and then have my SFC re-welded in? or would i need new ones ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you remove SFC's?