Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bump stop question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump stop question

Noob question for you all....So I purchased a pair of 3rd gen bump stops off the bay to replace my basically nonexistent OEM ones. I have an 2000 SS that has the spacers under them and the car also has the Eibach springs. My question is how much "travel space" is normally there between the end of the stop and the axle? Just eyeballing under there it doesn't look like there will maybe even be a half inch to inch of space once I swap them out (with the car on the ground). Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, take the spacers out.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, take the spacers out.
Thanks for the reply, I think I'll go that route actually. Worse case, I'll put them back in. My main concern is wanting the suspension, even though replacing all of it is next on my mods list, to be able to do its thing and yet not have the axle take a beating. I've already hit so hard on a bump on the highway and put a small dent in my brand new Magnaflow exhaust piping.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SnakeEaterSS
Thanks for the reply, I think I'll go that route actually. Worse case, I'll put them back in. My main concern is wanting the suspension, even though replacing all of it is next on my mods list, to be able to do its thing and yet not have the axle take a beating. I've already hit so hard on a bump on the highway and put a small dent in my brand new Magnaflow exhaust piping.
There's no reason your exhaust should be getting dented, I'd take it to a good exhaust shop and have them get your over axle pipe tucked up high; where it should be.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be aware the purpose of the bump stop is to limit upward travel of the rear axle not just so the exhaust does not get dented but also so the drive shaft doesn't travel upward and rub on the body and especially the parking brake bracket on the tunnel. because if it does at speed it'll act like a cutting bit on an aluminum drive shaft and you may have a disasterous failure. the smart thing which is not hard but you need a few jacks is to undo the shocks and lower the rear axle down so you can remove the springs. then you can raise the axle up to which ever bump stops you are using and then check clearance of everything including your drive shaft.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

There's no reason your exhaust should be getting dented, I'd take it to a good exhaust shop and have them get you over axle pipe tucked up high; where it should be.
I actually do have an over axle pipe. It's a brand new Magnaflow cat back system. Then dent is from the axle hitting the pipe. I can tell because the backside of the axle housing has a shiny rub spot lined up directly where the dent is on the pipe. I'm sure with 82K on the old decarbons/Eibachs along with basically no bump stops left, that suspension can't do it's job and needs replacing. Nevermind all the damn noise that goes on back there. I can see where the owner before me had put poly bushings in alot of the OEM parts back there and they look old and crusty too.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
be aware the purpose of the bump stop is to limit upward travel of the rear axle not just so the exhaust does not get dented but also so the drive shaft doesn't travel upward and rub on the body and especially the parking brake bracket on the tunnel. because if it does at speed it'll act like a cutting bit on an aluminum drive shaft and you may have a disasterous failure. the smart thing which is not hard but you need a few jacks is to undo the shocks and lower the rear axle down so you can remove the springs. then you can raise the axle up to which ever bump stops you are using and then check clearance of everything including your drive shaft.
Good info, thank you for your response!!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

I actually do have an over axle pipe. It's a brand new Magnaflow cat back system. Then dent is from the axle hitting the pipe. I can tell because the backside of the axle housing has a shiny rub spot lined up directly where the dent is on the pipe. I'm sure with 82K on the old decarbons/Eibachs along with basically no bump stops left, that suspension can't do it's job and needs replacing. Nevermind all the damn noise that goes on back there. I can see where the owner before me had put poly bushings in alot of the OEM parts back there and they look old and crusty too.
Biggest issue you have is in bold. Pony up the 400 for Bilsteins or a better shock. (No, KYB AGX's don't count).
Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, a good set of shocks would help a lot along with lowering springs with a proper spring rate to match the given amount of lowering(drop), Id also check for play in the passenger side rear exhaust hanger, over time as the bushing wears the exhaust begins to hang lower.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
Biggest issue you have is in bold. Pony up the 400 for Bilsteins or a better shock. (No, KYB AGX's don't count).
My plan of attack is to do the Bilsteins w/ Stranos, and then go UMI poly/roto combos on the panhard, LCAs, and prob some Strano sway bars... already have welded subframes on there. My car won't see the track, and will be primarily a street cruiser that'll I'll get aggressive with from time to time. I'm trying to get the happy medium between performance and good ride quality. Sound like a decent route?

Thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, a good set of shocks would help a lot along with lowering springs with a proper spring rate to match the given amount of lowering(drop), Id also check for play in the passenger side rear exhaust hanger, over time as the bushing wears the exhaust begins to hang lower.
Checked under there and everything seems to be in good shape. Exhaust looks to be pretty snug up there. I guess my Decarbons and Eibachs are just that sh*tty at this point.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

My plan of attack is to do the Bilsteins w/ Stranos, and then go UMI poly/roto combos on the panhard, LCAs, and prob some Strano sway bars... already have welded subframes on there. My car won't see the track, and will be primarily a street cruiser that'll I'll get aggressive with from time to time. I'm trying to get the happy medium between performance and good ride quality. Sound like a decent route?

Id either go with full roto-joints or with something like the Founders or J&M with the 3 piece poly ball at both ends.
On the PHB noise isn't much of a issue so even rod-ends will be perfectly fine.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-09-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Checked under there and everything seems to be in good shape. Exhaust looks to be pretty snug up there. I guess my Decarbons and Eibachs are just that sh*tty at this point.
Decrapons were junk from day one
Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Honestly, if you want your car to handle (and ride) well, do the above but...
1. Skip the LCA's.
2. Get the double adjustable rod/rod PHB. Don't worry about noise, mine makes none.

My car turns (rotates) great and rides well.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Teching In

I also have the eibach lowering springs on my ws6, and the previous owner of my car completely removed the bump stops because you could see them through the wheel and he didn't like it. Now every time I hit a big bump the rear end bottoms out
Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

1. Skip the LCA's.
2. Get the double adjustable rod/rod PHB. Don't worry about noise, mine makes none.

In reference to the LCAs, if I skip those entirely, I'm debating on swapping out the poly bushings that are in there for some new Moog rubber ones. I also noticed Founders has a 3 pc. ball joint style rubber LCA. Sounds like that could be the best of both worlds? So many freakin' options for all this stuff. Just want to try and get what I'm looking for the first time around, but I do undterstand that ride feel and enjoyment is subjective from person to person. What brand PHB do you run?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have those 3 piece Founders LCAs. So far I have been very happy with them. I haven't pushed the car into turns or anything yet (bad idea on bald tires!) but so far so good. I do have a poly/poly panhard, now that I think about it the panhard should probably have some rotational joints on it as well. The ride is just fine to me, vastly improved over what I had, but I changed a bunch of stuff at the same time so I can't say for sure the exact effect each part had on the characteristics.

I went from shot stock LCAs, stock sagged springs, worn out cheapo GR2 shocks, and worn/torn bushings in the front to Founders 3 piece LCAs, Strano springs, Bilstein shocks, and all new rubber bushings up front. HUGE difference.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I have those 3 piece Founders LCAs. So far I have been very happy with them. I haven't pushed the car into turns or anything yet (bad idea on bald tires!) but so far so good. I do have a poly/poly panhard, now that I think about it the panhard should probably have some rotational joints on it as well. The ride is just fine to me, vastly improved over what I had, but I changed a bunch of stuff at the same time so I can't say for sure the exact effect each part had on the characteristics.

I went from shot stock LCAs, stock sagged springs, worn out cheapo GR2 shocks, and worn/torn bushings in the front to Founders 3 piece LCAs, Strano springs, Bilstein shocks, and all new rubber bushings up front. HUGE difference.
Awesome to hear! This is what I'm aiming to do as far as a total package upgrade.

So what all did you swap out up front exactly?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Upper and lower LCA bushings, and new upper strut mounts and isolators, all with Moog parts. Also did ball joints, forgot to mention (that lower is a PAIN to get in straight!). I did do the end links also but left the sway bar bushings since I plan on upgrading the bars eventually.

Before I did all this stuff the car would wander around the road a lot and bumps felt like you were going to lose your teeth. Now it is a firm, but controlled and comfortable ride (IMO) and I'm not constantly catching the car. I think I need to tweak the alignment a bit as it tends to want to drift left a bit depending on the road, but I'm going to wait on that until I get new tires.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

1. Skip the LCA's.

What brand PHB do you suggest...I've looked at the UMI w/roto's or would rod ends be more suitable?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Bump stop question