Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm for a Nitrous Car M6

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torque Arm for a Nitrous Car M6

Hello everyone, I am in the market for a torque arm. I have researched a decent amount regarding long vs short torque arms. It seems as if the consensus is that mild street cars that get driven all the time are better off with the long torque arm and those that are willing to give up a little more driver friendliness go with the short. I am merely seeking some opinions on what would work best for my particular set up.

Right now i'm running a cam only (397 whp) M6 Camaro with a 150 shot nitrous outlet plate. Suspension set up consists of ground control coil overs (550lb front springs, 175 rear springs), bilstein shocks, UMI poly/roto LCA's, relo brackets, and founders adj poly/poly panhard rod. Car gets driven about 1500 miles a year if that and sees a good bit of track time (run Hoosier drag radials at the track). I am definitely going to be switching over to a true dual exhaust which is another element of my decision process. I know that the short torque arms somewhat limit your exhaust choices.

So, for my application... lets say roughly 540-550 rwhp on bottle with an M6, intended mostly for drag racing is the short torque arm best for me? I like the MWC set up with the true dual crossmember, the UMI, and BMR are also nice pieces. Any opinions are welcome... Additionally, I always wondered if the brackets that the short torque arm crossmembers are bolted to are strong enough to hold high hp? They are just sheet metal brackets that are spot welded to the floor. Thank you everyone for any help in advance.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the torque arm relocation crossmembers that take the arm off of the transmission. It's almost a best of both worlds, unless you need the geometry of a short arm.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

If I go l go long torque arm I will definitely get a relocation bracket. Just not sure if the long is what's best for me. I feel as though I might be getting close to the limit of what a long arm can do for me. Also keeping in mind cars usually get faster not slower... So as a planning for the future scenario we can assume that the car will continue to make more power as time goes on.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

I have the short arm with tunnel mount. I love it but it is clunky and it eventually tore the right side mount off the floor. It's been rewelded and I just bought three point subframe connectors to aid the support. If you plan to continue to build and race then go with the short arm.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
If I go l go long torque arm I will definitely get a relocation bracket. Just not sure if the long is what's best for me. I feel as though I might be getting close to the limit of what a long arm can do for me. Also keeping in mind cars usually get faster not slower... So as a planning for the future scenario we can assume that the car will continue to make more power as time goes on.
You would be surprised to what the limit is with a full length torque arm and torque arm relocation crossmember. If set up correctly they work very well. I attached a picture of one of our customers that has a BMR full length torque arm and BMR relocation crossmember. I personally really like this setup because it really is the best of both worlds, not only does this setup drives awesome on the street (minimal noise increase) but it can also be pushed very hard at the drag strip or road course.
Attached Thumbnails Torque Arm for a Nitrous Car M6-full-length-torque-arm-relocation-bracket-2.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned

Hello everyone, I am in the market for a torque arm. I have researched a decent amount regarding long vs short torque arms. It seems as if the consensus is that mild street cars that get driven all the time are better off with the long torque arm and those that are willing to give up a little more driver friendliness go with the short. I am merely seeking some opinions on what would work best for my particular set up.

Right now i'm running a cam only (397 whp) M6 Camaro with a 150 shot nitrous outlet plate. Suspension set up consists of ground control coil overs (550lb front springs, 175 rear springs), bilstein shocks, UMI poly/roto LCA's, relo brackets, and founders adj poly/poly panhard rod. Car gets driven about 1500 miles a year if that and sees a good bit of track time (run Hoosier drag radials at the track). I am definitely going to be switching over to a true dual exhaust which is another element of my decision process. I know that the short torque arms somewhat limit your exhaust choices.

So, for my application... lets say roughly 540-550 rwhp on bottle with an M6, intended mostly for drag racing is the short torque arm best for me? I like the MWC set up with the true dual crossmember, the UMI, and BMR are also nice pieces. Any opinions are welcome... Additionally, I always wondered if the brackets that the short torque arm crossmembers are bolted to are strong enough to hold high hp? They are just sheet metal brackets that are spot welded to the floor. Thank you everyone for any help in advance.
Whatever you do, don't get a tunnel mount torque arm. This is what we recommend. We sell the other brands but BMR is what we HIGHLY recommend.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/bmr-ful...rd-p-7553.html

http://www.coloradospeed.com/bmr-tor...s1-p-7566.html
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Good to know. Thank you everyone. I understand that EVERY car is going to differ but what is the limit for what a long torque arm can do? I have read a good amount of reviews that say that the short torque arm really made the nose rise under full throttle. Of course this does not necessarily mean that it is making the car faster. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. Thank you everyone.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have run both designs, and have customers like Ohio Boys Racing, Brian Black, Koolrayz, LASTLS1, and many others using the MWC suspension parts. I can tell you from the street and on-track performance experience what works best for most people.

With what you have for power and what you do with your car I will recommend the tunnel mounted torque arm. The brackets on the bottom of the car are fine as we have 100s of that type of setup running the streets and all out racing. The mounting location of the tunnel brace brackets shares the same placement and welds in the floor as the front seat rearward mount/crossbracing. It is plenty strong for what you are doing and has proven itself over and over to be reliable.

The MWC tunnel mount torque arm package has crossmembers for all different kinds of exhaust(including true duals), and all include adjustable i/c height as well as a driveshaft loop installed.

Give us a call. MWC has the highest quality and best prices of any suspension part you need for your f-body, and is trusted by the quickest and fastest stock suspesnion f-body racers.

Quick Reply: Torque Arm for a Nitrous Car M6