16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Blank Rotors and Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blank Rotors and Pads

I am about to start looking for new pads and rotors for my car. I wanted to get ATE Rotors and Hawk pads but it looks like ATE is no longer being produced for our cars. If anybody can find them let me know as that is what I really want.

Anyway I have narrowed it down to the following:

1.) $179 Brakemotive Kit

2.) Centric Blanks with Hawk Ceramic Pads

3.) Strano's Best Brand Blank Rotors with Hawk Pads

4.) Other (open to suggestions)

I do spirited driving but do not plan on doing road racing with this car (more of a 1/4 mile car). I want to have better than OEM quality even though I only warped a rotor once. Price is not an issue but I don't want to spend an overly excessive amount of money.

I would like to see/hear opinions from people that have had those set ups so far I haven't see a bad thing posted about either option above.

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would find some Brembo blanks, no slots etc.

Pads, up to you. Most any Hawk pad will dust like crazy. I would run the Hawk ceramics.

Strano would know best here.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The Best Brakes rotors are actually really good. I'd run those. The Centric rotors you can get for dirt cheap on Amazon. If you did that, just get the StopTech pads too.

Or goto Strano and get the HPS pads and Best Brakes rotors. The HPS pads will have good torque and modulation on the street. They will make the biggest difference. They don't squeal and they dust, but it wipes off. Some dust DOESN'T. Like the HP Plus. It squeals and is an on/off switch.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got the brakemotive kit. They brake good for street use, but the rotors are noticeable heavy compared to stock.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the responses so far guys keep them coming!

I'm honestly leaning toward a cermanic pad due to the dusting I really don't need a super agressive pad like the Hawk HPS because as stated this car will not see a road course only street and 1/4 track...
Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

NAPA blank rotors and HPS pads.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

HPS aren't super aggressive.

They modulate well and don't eat up rotors. They just have more brake torque.

DTC-30 would be more aggressive.

I'd also look at EBC Yellowstuff. It's a Kevlar pad so it doesn't dust nearly as much or squeal. But it has a very high coefficient for braking, better thermal properties, and can be driven when the rotors are cold without eating them.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
HPS aren't super aggressive.

They modulate well and don't eat up rotors. They just have more brake torque.

DTC-30 would be more aggressive.

I'd also look at EBC Yellowstuff. It's a Kevlar pad so it doesn't dust nearly as much or squeal. But it has a very high coefficient for braking, better thermal properties, and can be driven when the rotors are cold without eating them.
Thanks for the advice, i'll look into EBC Yellowstuff. I remember seeing that the green stuff are track pads. So I guess the Yellowstuff is more street friendly.

Do you know how much better the Hawk HPS performs compared to the Hawk Ceramic? If its minimal i'd rather get the ceramic to not deal with the dusting.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

bump....

More opinions/reviews welcome!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I had EBC Greentstuff pads on my old 04 Colorado. I loved them but they did dust a bit more than I'd like. I just put Redstuff pads on the front of my Firehawk and they feel like they grab much much better than the greens did on my old truck. Not sure if that is brake system related or pad related.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

I think we need to clear a few things up.

1. HPS are NOT nasty terrible pads. They dust some, but not terribly. In fact I tried Hawk Ceramics and they made as much dust and didn't stop as well.

2. HP+ are very dirty and can be noisy. People confuse these all the time. You often see people say "HPS+" when there is no such thing.

3. Rotors. They aren't all the same, one way to tell is be looking down the vanes into the castings some are a lot rougher than others. The Best rotors I use aren't in a fancy box, but I've beat the hell out of them on a track and they put up with as much abuse as some much more expensive rotors. I used to sell a lot of Brembo rotors for the car... but first they never were Brembo's, but another brand reboxed. Second they kept changing who was making them and where (last I heard it was Mexico) to save costs, but they came in the same box. I don't know the quality suffered but I wasn't willing to risk it.

4. Other pads. I sell EBC, I really should get them on the website. A friend opted for a set on his Mustang (also has a Trans Am) in YellowStuff compound. Can't say I hate them, but they aren't really that different from HPS for more money. But I'll look and see what EBC would cost.... Fronts are $114.99 Rears $99.99 I have them in stock. And if you buy both, there is a little bit of a discount. I got them up on the site now as well. Here's the brake pad page for an LS1 Camaro: http://stranoparts.com/searchbymodel...&CategoryID=17

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Last edited by Sam Strano; 08-01-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

RedStuff added. Working on GreenStuff and rotors when I get a chance.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased the Brakemotive stuff because it was such a killer deal. I simply pound the guts out of the car on the street and 1/4 mile, so I did not need anything fancy. I get a bit of dust (more like dust "chunks") which I attribute to the holes/slots, but it may be because the pads are cheaper. Nonetheless, it was a very affordable replacement set of brakes when I needed them.

With that said, I am going to be doing my first road race event toward the end of this month, so we'll see how they hold up there. I just picked up RPM Speed brake lines and ATE fluid to help out, but I don't expect anything stellar to come out of the setup on a "real" track setting.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Strano thanks for your input... I will probably be contacting you soon regarding some pads/rotors you seem to have the best prices and you are always on here!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cookba
NAPA blank rotors and HPS pads.
I've had great luck with this combo

Quick Reply: Blank Rotors and Pads