Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

coilovers or just a good shock/spring combo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coilovers or just a good shock/spring combo?

My car is turning into a purpose built drag car as of lately but i still do drive it around on the weekends on the street(when its together lol). I have a ford 9" rear with adjustable LCA's(relocation brackets), Panhard Bar, and Torque arm. I used to have eibach prokit springs with stock shocks and found it very hard to try and launch the car at the track. I am currently torn between buying the spohn rear coilover conversion kit(single adjustable) or should i just buy a good double adjustable shock and run a better set of rear springs? The car has some weight reduction(hvac removed, battery in trunk, no a/c, tubular k member and arms) but have never really weighed it. I also plan on buying some better front coilovers(qa1, afco, strange) but want to figure out what im doing in the rear first. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd buy some good DA rear shocks, and go with better stock like springs(stock, Hotchkis, BMR, Hypercoil). Up front I'd go with DA coilovers shocks(Strange or if budget permits Afco), You'll save probably save 10 lbs or more just with the small diameter 2.5" ID coilover springs, plus you'll have a wide range of springe rates to chose from, and you'll be able to set the ride height where it works best for you.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'd buy some good DA rear shocks, and go with better stock like springs(stock, Hotchkis, BMR, Hypercoil). Up front I'd go with DA coilovers shocks(Strange or if budget permits Afco), You'll save probably save 10 lbs or more just with the small diameter 2.5" ID coilover springs, plus you'll have a wide range of springe rates to chose from, and you'll be able to set the ride height where it works best for you.

Good advice 99Bluz28!

Please let Me know if I can help You with Your suspension needs Fast!

Thank You,
Carl
Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
My car is turning into a purpose built drag car as of lately but i still do drive it around on the weekends on the street(when its together lol). I have a ford 9" rear with adjustable LCA's(relocation brackets), Panhard Bar, and Torque arm. I used to have eibach prokit springs with stock shocks and found it very hard to try and launch the car at the track. I am currently torn between buying the spohn rear coilover conversion kit(single adjustable) or should i just buy a good double adjustable shock and run a better set of rear springs? The car has some weight reduction(hvac removed, battery in trunk, no a/c, tubular k member and arms) but have never really weighed it. I also plan on buying some better front coilovers(qa1, afco, strange) but want to figure out what im doing in the rear first. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
There is no need to use a "conversion kit". I have specific part numbers of my own with the shock companies for rear coil-over setups. There are a lot of choices on shocks and I can help you get setup with what is right for you and stay within your budget.

I have setup the shocks for the likes of winners like Ohio Boys Racing, LASTLS1(Andy Essary), and Brian Black just to name a few and can help you with tuning as well with my many tears of on-track and street experience.

MWC is a proud dealer of Afco, Strange, and Viking shocks and guarantees the best prices.

Quick Reply: coilovers or just a good shock/spring combo?