Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Camber kit? Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Camber kit? Yes/No?

I just recently installed some lowering springs and shocks on the car. When I went to get an alignment they made a big deal about me having to get a kit for my front tires. How many of you guys actually install one of these kits? Is it really that much of a big deal if I don't get one?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without knowing the before and after camber degrees, I couldn't tell you, plus I'm not an expert in suspensions, but if the camber angle is too negative, you'll chew through your tires, you'll get less braking performance, your turn in will be slower, and you'll put more stress on your bearings and other components. The plus is that once in the turn, you'll have much better grip and it will feel rock solid. However with a solid rear axle you can only gain so much turning performance by altering the front camber angle before the back end will mess you up. I'd call whomever sold you the springs and shocks and ask them what their recommendations are. If they can't help you, I'd call around to some other suspension shops and see what they say. Me personally, I wouldn't deviate too far from factory specs unless you're making it a road course track car. That's all I can add to the subject....good luck.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
I just recently installed some lowering springs and shocks on the car. When I went to get an alignment they made a big deal about me having to get a kit for my front tires. How many of you guys actually install one of these kits? Is it really that much of a big deal if I don't get one?
No such thing as a camber kit for our cars, we don't have struts.
What springs did you go with? What are you actual alignment specs? You should easily be able to get to stock specs without any mods...
Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

I did the bmr/koni combo. I took the car over to Firestone and it seems like they're a bunch of idiots there. I'm new to suspension these are my first mods so I'm pretty much a noob
Old 08-02-2013, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input ajwoodtransport. It's far from a track car all I'm trying to do is just get a good alignment for the modifications I did. One of the ends of the rack and pinion was "frozen" according to them so they could only adjust one of the "toes." Was advised to put some WD-40 on it and drive around for a few days to see if it loosens up so they can do both sides. The guy just wouldn't shut up about that damn camber kit so I though I'd ask here
Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input ajwoodtransport. It's far from a track car all I'm trying to do is just get a good alignment for the modifications I did. One of the ends of the rack and pinion was "frozen" according to them so they could only adjust one of the "toes." Was advised to put some WD-40 on it and drive around for a few days to see if it loosens up so they can do both sides. The guy just wouldn't shut up about that damn camber kit so I though I'd ask here

Anytime......although there's some people on here like the guy above and some others that could give better insight...especially if you can get the numbers posted. I had a Subaru with some pretty aggressive, negative camber angles and in the turns it was great, but you pay for it in other ways. Hopefully, firestone will be able to adjust your other toe in/out soon. That's where most of the excessive tire wear and loss of fuel mileage could come from...if it's way off. Good luck, take care.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:58 AM
TECH Regular

Go elsewhere.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your car like mine has higher miles? The toe is just by the rack and pinion, it should only take some heat to get that thing to turn. There is no such thing as a camber kit for these cars. Try find a performance shop near you that RR and AX guys use and have them align the car to your specifications.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The lower control arms are factory adjustable They use a tool similar to these right here to adjust them.

How ever you can get them to move with a couple guys and prybars on the rack. Ive done them before with and with out the tools. I have yet to adj. mine and my front end is quite low. The tires are wearing on the inside edge more noticably than the rest of the tire. Either way i'd go back complain to firestone they have no idea what theyre talking about get your money back and spend it elsewhere. Somewhere that knows how to acually DO an alignment not just make the screen green.

This is the actual tool needed

Last edited by LILWS6; 08-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Launching!

Find a shop that knows F Bodys.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

We talking about about bumpsteer kit here? To get the tie rod ends back flat?

You can slot the lower control arm holes if you need more camber.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had really good luck with one local Firestone for alignments (their lifetime alignment deal is hard to beat) but another local one is full of ****** that don't know cars well at all (one employee told me my tires would be ruined in 100 miles with half a degree of negative camber).

Firestone isn't bad, but some of the shops are.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I believe there's a caster adjustment tool, but nothing I'm aware of for camber that's unique. He probably thought you had struts, which is enough reason to switch shops, or at least technicians.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

camarokid91- My car is at 97k rite now so it isn't too bad. Thing is I had the rack and pinion replaced with another and forgot the mileage that the car it came from had. I'm going to spray the "frozen" with WD40 and take it back in a week. I have a 30 day warranty on the alignment
Old 08-03-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

LILWS6- Thanks for that info. Worst case scenario my dad and I will jus do it ourselves. I wanted to do it the more modern way using the computerized system but have no problem doing it the old school way
Old 08-03-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like the experts have said...Go somewhere else! I made a mistake once taking my car to firestone for a inspection, they denied it and told me to return car fully to stock exhaust and intake. FYI, I did a total suspension upgrade and bought many parts from several different vendors and I never heard once mentioned of a Camber kit for my Fbody...and yea the alignment was trashed after all my upgrades went on, but a body shop with a computer alignment machine hooked me up!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

99FormulaM6r- They asked me if I wanted that lifetime warranty but $200 sounds a bit much for me at the moment.

I would have gone somewhere else but the couple of shops I called didn't want to work on it because it was lowered
Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

JD AMG- These are the specs they gave me. Not that great a pic but the best I could do with my phone.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

JD AMG- These are the specs they gave me. Not that great a pic but the best I could do with my phone.

If they can't get things to spec its time to take it to a different shop.
-1 Camber (on the left side) is perfectly fine, and will likely be better than the stock specs as with stock the outside of the tires wear more quickly.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Put both camber on -1.5/1.8.

Set toe to zero and ride, it will be fine.

Quick Reply: Camber kit? Yes/No?