Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Firebird bounces at higher speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firebird bounces at higher speeds

2002 WS6. 68K mi. This car has been repaired after an incident where I went up a curb. Replaced K member, one knuckle, both motor mounts, torque arm, rt lower control arm, tie rods both sides. Three rims were dented, so I was able to replace them with a complete set off another car. They came with Goodyear Eagle tires, which, I've been told by everyone who has seen them, are in excellent condition. The collision guy was a stickler for accuracy & wouldn't release the car until it was well with alignment spec.

I do know that the tires exhibit a little wear from being another car, and I can feel it the most when I brake. That's to be expected.

Here is the actual situation:
When I go over 55, the car sort of rocks side to side. It almost feels like it's floating. It's not actually pulling, but I feel like I have to hang on!
The steering wheel does not shake as it would when the wheels aren't balanced.
The car doesn't pull to one side as it would if it were out of alignment.
It does not bounce up & down as it would with bad shocks.
The car does not shake or vibrate.
It does not bounce or bottom out when going over speed bumps.
It makes nice, sharp turns.
I don't notice any unusual play or problem with steering.
It's pretty much a good ride until I get on the highway. Any variation in the road surface is when I feel it most.

Should I be looking at the rims & tires? I don't even know where to take it for this problem.

thanks in advance
Old 08-24-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe a slightly bent axle hub or a slightly bent wheel at the hub.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

How do I even check for that?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What shocks are on the car?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try swapping the rear wheels/tire up front, then take it for a drive if it still drives just like it did before then I'd rule out a bent wheel. Now if it gets noticeably worse, or better then I 'd say it was a wheel issue. As far as bent axle hub if you've ruled out a bent wheel then have a friend or family member follow you below 55mph and up past 55mph and watch you car to see it the rear is wiggling from side-to-side, it should get progressively worse the faster you go . Are you able to tell if it's more in the front or rear of the car? Has the rear suspension been thoroughly checked for excessive play in the bushings I'd focus on the PHB, then look at the sway-bar mounts and endlinks.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
What shocks are on the car?
my stock delphi shock with stock springs felt like my car was floating, also when i hit a bounce it wil sway back and fourth
Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

It sounds like the phb or maybe the K member isn't fully secured. Did you use stock bolts when replacing it?

I'd also double check the sway bars they have 4 bushings for each end link up front. My buddy left just one out on accident and could notice something something was wrong at higher speeds.

To me a bent wheel or hub would cause more of a violent shake or vibration than a sway.

Quick Reply: Firebird bounces at higher speeds